Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2014 8:44:42 PM EDT

I am somewhat new to body armor.

I have a tactical tailor plate carrier, with side plate carriers.  got plates.  gtg.

but, I can't help notice that, even though my vital organs are covered, everything below that is not covered.  

I have seen groin protection add ons that appear to hang off of a plate carrier and increase protection somewhat, and I was considering that.

what do you guys use for protection  below the vest plate carrier?  

looking for first hand experience.

thanks

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Soft armor.  You can't cover everything in plate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The idea of plates is to keep your heart and lungs safe. You can live a lot longer with a stomach wound than a heart or lung wound. Ideally, full protection would be nice, but sacrifices need to be made to keep you combat effective and not too heavy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe consider a longish size police-style soft armor vest under your PC? I used to have one that extended from the sternum notch to almost my navel. Below that, I'd strongly consider a battle belt with soft armor--the VTAC Brokos and Blue Force Gear belts are, IIRC, two with that option.
But as the first response indicated, plates covering your entire torso just won't be practical.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
What about side plates on the PC? I noticed a bunch of guys in the Spec Ops pic thread in GD don't use them. Some do, but lots don't. Any specific reason why?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If u want to protect every square inch you need one of those bomb suit, or even better yet a tank. Body armor is all about covering the vital organs, your stomach and intestines are not vital organs, if u get shot there u will be fine, you may not be able to eat solid food after that but worse things could happen. So no, people don't wear stomach armor and very few soldiers on foot wear extra armor like neck or groin protection, and the armor type everyone is going towards seems to be the plate carrier.

Edit: just remembered that Cryr sells a ballistic battle belt which would offer decent lower torso protection if combined with a armor carrier using a BALCS insert.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the most coverage you will get is an IOTV with soft/hard armor. Everything in, it weighs like 30 pounds.This will give you at least 3a coverage from your throat down to your pelvis, or down to your groin with a nut flap.

As said before armor is a balance between weight and mobility.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You may want an actual ARMOR carrier as opposed to just a PLATE carrier.  "Armor Carriers" carry large SPEAR or BALCS-cut soft armor packages that wrap around the torso on both sides and extend down to the belly area.  Naturally, the plates will be the same size and are just there to cover the vital organs.

Here's a link to an armor carrier.

In contrast, you can see how much smaller the coverage is on this plate carrier.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
after researching it, I went with an IOTV groin protector flap - soft armor.  it is lightweight and offers some degree of protection against smaller rounds, etc.

the straps on the IOTV groin protector attach right to the molle on my plate carrier - good to go.  

since the bottom attachment point of the plate carrier is 'higher' than the full IOTV vest, the IOTV Groin Protector rides higher as well, but it covers my stomach down to the crotch.  I feel less 'naked' down there now.

recommended approach for anyone, with just a plate carrier, looking for a little additional protection.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Soft armor is what you seek. Either that or articulated B. Armor, which I don't think is available on the open market yet and if it is will be expensive. Linky

Years ago, when I first entered the shooting business, I was issued some German body armor that covered all of the stomach. Every time I'd run through an obstacle and have to raise my leg to get over it that damn plate would get jammed up into my chin and rattle my teeth. What works in theory doesn't always work in practice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Armor carrier.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Is mainly a compromise between mobility and protection. the plates will protect your vitals and provide a decent amount of mobility.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#14]
You folks do realize that there's a lot more in your abdomen than your GI tract, right? If something were to compromise your abdominal aorta, it's a very quick death.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of the reason why the plates cover what they do is because of the organs they cover.  They also cover what they do is because how soldiers are taught to shoot, center of mass.  Where is that?  Where the plate is.  As pointed out, by previous posters, there is a trade off between protection and mobility.  Another thing to think about is every pound shaved off your armor is another pound you can carry.  

IDHunt
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have the scratch, Velocity Systems ULV is perhaps what you seek.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
How much time have you spend training in your PC?

Like any part of your gear, you need to train in your armor to be effective while wearing it.

Run some serious shoot and move drills in your PC (with a full load-out) for multiple sessions.  Then decide whether the additional weight and loss of mobility of yet more armor is advisable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  How much time have you spend training in your PC?

Like any part of your gear, you need to train in your armor to be effective while wearing it.

Run some serious shoot and move drills in your PC (with a full load-out) for multiple sessions.  Then decide whether the additional weight and loss of mobility of yet more armor is advisable.
View Quote

Riding a bike, for example, you quickly discover the side plates have to move up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top