Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2014 8:56:38 AM EDT
I have a couple sets of Comtac IVs and would like to use them with our Baofeng UV5 series radios. My Comtacs all have the large-style PTT connector. Is there a simple adapter that can convert it to tha Baofeng plug?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested as well...

tagging!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Baofengs use the kenwood 2 pin connector for the headset and mics. I have a dedicated PTT from peltor that has the kenwood 2 pin. I have seen on ebay adapters that connect using the standard military connector to kenwood 2 pins though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Would this be what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.com/Airsoft-Element-Headset-Kenwood-Radio/dp/B00HYCZ84U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PZQ410FDDVE75RDEKKS

Edit: i have not tried this and others are saying it wont work. I wonder if it could be taken apart and rewired to work, and like others said this would not be a professional piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as I know airsoft ones will not work with the impedance of the real comtac or sordin. You need a real one that is convereted to kenwood. Eelment is airsoft, Bravo is airsoft, ztac is airsoft, emerson is airsoft. Plus they are all junk and would not trust them for real use... plenty fine for airsoft use however.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as I know airsoft ones will not work with the impedance of the real comtac or sordin. You need a real one that is convereted to kenwood. Eelment is airsoft, Bravo is airsoft, ztac is airsoft, emerson is airsoft. Plus they are all junk and would not trust them for real use... plenty fine for airsoft use however.
View Quote

This is true.  If you are using a real Comtac or Sordin headset, do not use any PTT assemblies made by Element, Z-Tac, Emerson, and a few others (usually made in China).  They are of poor quality to begin with, but they also use a different pin-out than the real ones do for the Nexus plug where the headset connects to the PTT, so they will not function.

The proper connector to mate the PTT with the radio is, as several people have said, the Kenwood 2-pin type.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I might be able to help with this one.

I have one and didn't know shit about it so I had to ask the commo guy to find out what I needed to be able to use this radio with my head set.
I had to get a new ptt switch. Kenwood plug is correct.
It works great.
Mine is for peltor ach. Should be same for yours, but call and ask the guy below he went through it with me so it should be fresh in his mind.  

I got mine from  salesman Robert Brown
SRS Tactical
Crystal river FL
352-795-4801
[email protected]

Item# fl50350-02
3m/peltor ptt adaptor
$181.00
Mine was $191.86 shipped.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
YOU JUST MADE MY DAY
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I plan on making my own so I don't spend outrageous money on a ptt cable.

http://pilot-usa.com/headset-accessories/plugs-jacks-connectors/u-94a-u-tjs-102.html
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=70&osCsid=d8v2c62483ve8q08a4i8pns940
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I plan on making my own so I don't spend outrageous money on a ptt cable.

http://pilot-usa.com/headset-accessories/plugs-jacks-connectors/u-94a-u-tjs-102.html
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=70&osCsid=d8v2c62483ve8q08a4i8pns940
View Quote

As long as you realize that there is a difference in impedance between military and civilian radios.  Your switch and military headset on a civilian radio will never be loud enough to be functional until you alter them.  There is a thread at the top of this page where ssgcarrol shows how to do this exact thing.

The advantage of the SRS stuff is that they have done all the buying of correct parts, torn them apart and resoldered them back together and they will plug in and work with your radio.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't add any specifics, but I can say that I have a set of Swat Tac 2's with a Motorola PTT (FL5014) to connect to the Motorola CP 200 style radios.  I recently bought a Yaesu FT-60 and looked into "adapting" the Motorola connector to the Yaesu single pin style.  I called TCI (http://www.tacticalcommandstore.com) and determined that the impedance of the two radios is different and the same PTT could not be used with both radios, even with an adapter.

I will end up with a separate PTT for Moto and Yaesu. TCI will build what I need using their PTT.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Easy way is to buy a speaker mic that accepts 3.5mm out, then you can find an adapter from 3.5mm to the peltor "female TP-120" plug.  The speaker mic is going to work like your PTT, and for the price of a custom PTT+mic boom solution, you are going to be in hundreds of dollars for a $30 radio.

When you mess around with your radios, you'll notice that your range goes to hell when you are all rigged up. The HT radios work a lot better when you are able to point the antenna in different directions, so unless you are relatively close to your contact, the range starts to suck.

Here's what I did:
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please.  It's a $25 radio, but only a $200 cord will do?

If the cord isn't wired right, that's a different matter.

If you could get the mating connector for the Peltor, it shouldn't be hard to fab an adapter.  Baofeng speaker mics are under $10, buy one and gut it and just use as a PTT and radio cable and connector.

BTW the UV-B5 is a far better radio than the UV-5R, I don't know why people keep buying the 5Rs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Error
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys... I just received my Team Wendy EXFIL Ballistic (we were using bumps before) and it's flat-out the best helmet -- bump, ballistic, or otherwise -- I've ever worn. It's like wearing air.

I'll probably get some UV-5B's instead of the "R" version that we already have, but since we have them and I assume the same PTT rig will work with both I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the PERFECT cable / PTT rig for the job. If I had to, I'd get adapters, but the custom all-in-one solution just seems more elegant.

Also, and I know this is personal preference, after having Sordin's and ComTac III's, the ComTac IV is in another universe for a variety of reasons. My ears sweat profusely when covered by normal ear-pro, and I always hate having to take them off the ear to hear unaided. The IV's solve both problems, and I don't get a headache or ear fatigue with them. In fact, I almost forget I'm wearing them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top