Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 11:19:28 AM EDT
I have a carbine class coming up and was looking to pick up a pair of Multicam BDU pants.  I've never purchased any before and there are tons of brands out there.  I was hoping you guys might recommend some preferred brands?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Tru-Spec 24-7's!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Propper, Tru-Spec, etc...theyre all about the same quality and price.

If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket go with Crye G3 Combat Pants and matching G3 Combat Shirt
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Crye > VertX > LBX
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
skd's are my g to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm happy with my Propper BDUs, but I think any name brand will work.

If you're spending more than $30-$40 you're spending too much.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Watch the EE.  I picked up a couple of sets used but in great contition.  The are multi cam ACU's, not BDU's.  I'm not sure of the difference.  I don't have much used for the tops but the pants are great.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW I like and use Propper brand ACU/BDU's.  Edited for spelling/adding content.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Propper, Tru-Spec, etc...theyre all about the same quality and price.

If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket go with Crye G3 Combat Pants and matching G3 Combat Shirt
View Quote

Holy shit, why so expensive?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm happy with my Propper BDUs, but I think any name brand will work.

If you're spending more than $30-$40 you're spending too much.
View Quote

Yep. Also, check the EE.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
skd's are my g to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
skd's are my g to.

Same, I have their Enhanced BDU set in MC. Awesome stuff.

Quoted:
Holy shit, why so expensive?

Because you're paying for the Crye name. It's like H&K.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the advice and opinions.  That helps alot.  Thank you.

Looking at some of them (namely the SKD and the Crye), from the pictures on the websites, they look like they have a different "shape" then other BDU pants.  They appear to be really high-waisted, almost like the germans used to wear in their wool uniform trousers back in WW2?  How do they SKD and Crye fit?  Do they sit way high on your waist like they appear in the pictures?  Or is that an illusion from the pics I'm looking at and they really just fit like any typical BDU?

I'm a pretty small guy so fit is really important to me.  I've got a 28" waist, 30" inseam so trying to find pants to fit properly is sometimes challenging.  Sometimes its so agonizing that even if something is just stupid expensive, I'll take it just to have it fit right.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I gotta ask. Why the big deal about multicam for a class?  You are just gonna tear them up. Be comfortable. Go to Walmart and look at the Wrangler Rip-Stop cargo pants. They come in OD and Military Khaki. The are cheap, tough and comfy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#16]
EBay for multicam ACU's especially if you wear an odd size.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I gotta ask. Why the big deal about multicam for a class?  You are just gonna tear them up. Be comfortable. Go to Walmart and look at the Wrangler Rip-Stop cargo pants. They come in OD and Military Khaki. The are cheap, tough and comfy.
View Quote

The Dickie dungarees/carpenter jeans are great too... I have a few pairs in OD and tan......
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like the way it looks better than all the old beatup woodland stuff I've had in the past, and my battle belt and holster is in multicam.

On a side note, in my last carbine class I wore a pair of Khaki 5.11's and it was a mistake.  First, the cargo pockets on my 5.11's have little 'sub-pockets' sewn in with the idea that they can stash a couple mags very neatly like a nice built in mag pouch.  Thats all fine and dandy when you don't need to use it as a dump pouch.  It just made the pocket harder to get into and dump stuff into quickly.  Sure, I could cut out the threads on the sub-pockets but why pay for them if I'm just going to cut them up.  Anyhow...that just personal preference.  Secondly, it was wet & muddy out and that pair is now still stained pretty good.  They've been relegated to 'range use only'.  So I was really wishing I'd just worn something a bit more durable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Ebay some surplus combat pants for $25 on up.  I need the flame resistance for work but the overall fit and durability seems better than my work issued Proppers.  The Proppers are cotton/polyester but feel much thicker.  They both breath about as good (or as bad really)

The size small short will fit you fine.  Don't go any smaller.  Find some of the cheap surplus foam knee pad inserts as well.  The foam won't last forever buy are cheap enough that it doesn't matter.  

Also, size small and medium MC combat shirts can easily had for $30.  

cheers,

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a pair of Tru-Spec ACU cut  pants in Multicam - very well made.

Plus I made a review a while back on a pair of "Airsoft" Multicam pants I bought off eBay; pretty hefty made, but just as pricey as the Crye Tactical pants.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPS-INTEGRATED-BATTLE-PANTS-3D-IN-A-TACS-FG-MR-/371061259430

Like these, but in Multicam; pretty well made for "airsoft" pants. 50/50 NYCO ripstop with reinforcements in 500D Cordura and removable kneepads.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the advice and opinions.  That helps alot.  Thank you.

Looking at some of them (namely the SKD and the Crye), from the pictures on the websites, they look like they have a different "shape" then other BDU pants.  They appear to be really high-waisted, almost like the germans used to wear in their wool uniform trousers back in WW2?  How do they SKD and Crye fit?  Do they sit way high on your waist like they appear in the pictures?  Or is that an illusion from the pics I'm looking at and they really just fit like any typical BDU?

I'm a pretty small guy so fit is really important to me.  I've got a 28" waist, 30" inseam so trying to find pants to fit properly is sometimes challenging.  Sometimes its so agonizing that even if something is just stupid expensive, I'll take it just to have it fit right.

View Quote

Not sure about skd but crye pants fit more like actual pants IMO. They are tighter cut which normally is not good in combat pants because it limits your range of motion such as squatting, kneeling, etc... However they make up for this by placing elastic sections in the crotch and other sections allowing the pants to actually stretch when necessary. Crye also has elastic pull tabs on the belt line to adjust the waist line to a more exact fit, you could wear them without a belt but I still like too anyways.

@the why so expensive comment, you really are getting more than a name. A good pair of fire resistant rip stop plain boring BDU will run you close to $100. Now add in higher quality craftsmanship, a better selection of sizes, everything I mention above, amazing knee pad inserts that can be adjusted vertically and horizontally. Some people may say $200 is a rip off and they will go buy a random pair of lightly used BDU pants at their local mil surplus store for $20 others like myself are just glad there is a company out there making a higher quality product and aren't concerned with the price.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought a pair of Tru-Spec ACU cut  pants in Multicam - very well made.

Plus I made a review a while back on a pair of "Airsoft" Multicam pants I bought off eBay; pretty hefty made, but just as pricey as the Crye Tactical pants.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPS-INTEGRATED-BATTLE-PANTS-3D-IN-A-TACS-FG-MR-/371061259430

Like these, but in Multicam; pretty well made for "airsoft" pants. 50/50 NYCO ripstop with reinforcements in 500D Cordura and removable kneepads.
View Quote

I've actually read a lot of good reviews about the OPS brand pants.....

Here's the website to the company that  makes them... they apparently have different models and styles of pants as well. Still pricey!

http://www.ur-tactical.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/view/category/virtuemart_category_id/15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top