Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 3:07:20 PM EDT
I own a lot of Tac Tailor stuff, and LBT.  I am not sure which would be tougher built gear, but both are well built for sure.  Who do you guys think builds the best/toughest stuff out?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The two you have listed plus Paraclete, Eagle, and TAG. The stuff made of 1000D Cordura nylon and double stitched is going to be damn near bomb proof. The 500D stuff is pretty tough too, maybe not quite as abrasion resistant.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a lot of the top name brands are equally bombproof, but I think HSGI pulls ahead a little bit with the zippers they use. Not sure if any other company uses the huge teeth zippers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think a lot of the top name brands are equally bombproof, but I think HSGI pulls ahead a little bit with the zippers they use. Not sure if any other company uses the huge teeth zippers.
View Quote

Zippers on what Nape??  I will have to investigate.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Kifaru and SOE
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
FirstSpear, TT, HSGI, Velocity Systems, Eagle, Etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FirstSpear, TT, HSGI, Velocity Systems, Eagle, Etc.
View Quote

OSOE hands down. If there is other gear that comes close to the rugged durability of their gear, I haven't seen it.

ETA:  US Grunt Gear does compare.....forgot about Robert's handiness with a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Osoe and us grunt gear
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
My vote goes to OSOE.... I've had nothing but great experiences with them although I'm sure the haters will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
GORUCK, they double up the cordora just about everywhere.

I have the new SKD bombproof mag pouches on my wish list - http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Bomber-Magazine-Pouch-Double-p/pig.711.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Maxpedition makes some insanely well built, durable stuff. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maxpedition makes some insanely well built, durable stuff. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
View Quote

Not US made though. If I'm gonna pay their prices I'm gonna get US made gear
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I run a lot of HSGI stuff that's been going stron for years. Had Gene build my chest rig custom based on a stocked design. It isn't failing anytime soon. Also, as mentioned, OSOE, SKD, BlueForce Gear, Eagle. ATS.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Bout the only thing I have that isn't US made is a couple Emdom pouches. They are Hong Kong though so its like slightly less "Made in China" right? At any rate, they work with MM to come up with some really unique pouches and solutions that no one else has. I like their stuff. I won't buy anything carried in the PX almost purely on principle alone. I give my Soldiers shit for it, too. Half of it isn't even actual Cordura, just shitting plasticky nylon. Gonna trust your life to that?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough, but they are the only non-US made company I'll give my money to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about your hand made stuff?

Just to clarify, not saying yours isn't US made just that it's badass
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Tron, we don't know each other, but I see a lot of your posts on gear and such.  I guess I am not sure if you are really being serious about Maxpedition.  I have a Maxpedition small go bag, and it is pretty decent stuff, but I have heard tons of people complain about ever getting anything repaired/replaced with them.  Just based on what other have written in the past, I would probably not buy anything from them again.  

Maybe a little clarification please?

RFizzle, I have seen those PIG pouches on SKD.  I am interested in them as well.

Roadtrippin, I thought Emdom was US?  I guess you learn something new all the time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, my stuff is definitely high quality American made gear, but that chest rig I made for RTUtah is about the largest thing I can make right now.

And I've never had a problem with any if my Maxpedition gear, so I can't peak for their customer service. I've also never heard anyone have anything bad to say about their products, but I guess they're not for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
TacT whore present. 4 tours, god knows how many trips to JRTC, YTC, NTC, squad, platoon, and company ops and they still have plenty of life left in them. You cant go wrong with TacT.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lol

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TacT whore present. 4 tours, god knows how many trips to JRTC, YTC, NTC, squad, platoon, and company ops and they still have plenty of life left in them. You cant go wrong with TacT.
View Quote

And will overnight you replacement buckles that you broke due to your own damn fault so you can take your gear with you to AT.

I own quite a few TT items and will continue to be a life long customer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I think any difference in durability amongst the reputable gear providers is negligible. I have equipment from TT, HSGI, BFG, and OSOE, and all leave nothing to be desired with the quality of construction and ruggedness.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I will say this:  I am not a whiner by any means.  If shit breaks, then buy another.  If a company wants to "step up" and say here you go, they will buy lifelong customers.  

Side note:  I am a fireman.  I bought some duty boots from Thoroughgood about 3 years ago.  They were $200 dollar boots.  Not the most expensive, but not cheap either.  Fast forward 6 months.  The outside of the boots looked very decent, while the inside heels and all had fallen the fuck apart.  "No problem, I'll call them, I'm sure they will handle this".  Well, when I called them, they informed me that "they do not handle warranty issues, and I needed to take it back where I bought them".  I couldn't quite understand that whole concept.  I pled my case to 2 or 3 people, and got a big proverbial "fuck off" from them.  So I take my boots to the store, and they were more like "yeah right, you are shitting us right"?  Just what I thought would happen.  So after 3 months, I got an asshole on the phone with Thourogood, while in the store.  I let them sort that shit out, and got a store credit.  Fuck that, I will never buy from that company again, and encourage anybody else not to either.  

I had an issue with the stitching on 2 rather new Eagle mag pouches about a month ago.  I called Eagle, and politely asked the lady how to handle it.  It was the exact same story all over again.  "You need to take it back to where you bought it, not to us".  I am not even sure where those exact ones came from, and nor should I have to.  

So in the end, I still own a few Eagle pouches, and like them, but will never buy anymore.  No, I have no illusions that I will hurt their company, but it's more of a deal of why bother, when there are so many oher great companies to deal with.  I realize Eagle is tier one, but it seems that they would rather sell to big gov., than to us.  And that is okay too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My prediction:  With the ending of most major US military operations, there will be a serious consolidation/reduction of independent gear mfrs, and also serious buying opportunities for tac gear consumers as this consolidation occurs.
Many of the companies listed above will be history five years from now.
View Quote

Unless, of course, we get involved somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

True.  The question is:  Which mfrs are currently top-tier, and which are not.  Things change, and some mfrs formerly top-tier might have slipped, while others are up-and-coming.

So far, we have London Bridge, Tactical Tailor, HSGI, ATS, BAE/Eclipse, Grunt Gear, Paraclete, Eagle, TAG, Kifaru, First Spear, Velocity Systems, OSOE, GORUCK, Maxpedition, EMDOM,. TyrTactical, Blue Force Gear,  Just to sum up.  and no doubt plenty of small tac gear mfrs not mentioned.

My prediction:  With the ending of most major US military operations, there will be a serious consolidation/reduction of independent gear mfrs, and also serious buying opportunities for tac gear consumers as this consolidation occurs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think any difference in durability amongst the reputable gear providers is negligible. I have equipment from TT, HSGI, BFG, and OSOE, and all leave nothing to be desired with the quality of construction and ruggedness.

True.  The question is:  Which mfrs are currently top-tier, and which are not.  Things change, and some mfrs formerly top-tier might have slipped, while others are up-and-coming.

So far, we have London Bridge, Tactical Tailor, HSGI, ATS, BAE/Eclipse, Grunt Gear, Paraclete, Eagle, TAG, Kifaru, First Spear, Velocity Systems, OSOE, GORUCK, Maxpedition, EMDOM,. TyrTactical, Blue Force Gear,  Just to sum up.  and no doubt plenty of small tac gear mfrs not mentioned.

I kind of agree with you Raf.  Any war, of any length, will always produce people and companies to fill needs.  I think that the Eagles, TT, LBT, and maybe a coule more are safe.  Some of the smaller ones, will not make it.  

As a side note, material costs will go down, seeing as how not every square inch that can be made is sold, and companies will get hungry as well.  
A quick look to economics, will most likely say, that prices for the companies alive will come down as well.  I'm sorry, your $350 3 day pack was only that price, because Uncle Sam paid that, not any normal people.  They will either have the chance to sell them more reasonable, or not at all.  

On a down side, R & D will go down, and improvements/advancements will slow as well.  I think that wars lead to innovation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

On a down side, R & D will go down, and improvements/advancements will slow as well.  I think that wars lead to innovation.
View Quote

Oh absolutely. Throughout the 90s guys were still using stuff from the Vietnam Era. Now look what we have. It's incredible.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh absolutely. Throughout the 90s guys were still using stuff from the Vietnam Era. Now look what we have. It's incredible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For instance, look at the shit the Somalia guys used.  Not regular guys, but Delta guys.  Flashlights taped to handguards, really low speed gear, etc.  Like you said, it's incredible now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Roadtrippin, I thought Emdom was US?  I guess you learn something new all the time.
View Quote

Yeah, went over to their site to double check my facts just now, and sure enough they do their sewing overseas. Honestly, though I have no problem with their gear, I will say that their site and some of the imagery therein makes looks like they want to give the impression it is US made when in fact it isn't. I'll forgive them since they are very blunt about it when you go to their About Us page, but I do get the impression they want you to assume it's made here.

...Also, when talking customer service, I haven't dealt directly with HSGI in awhile, but I will say that in the past they have done me right. I wore a Warlord chest rig for about four years through BOLC, IBOLC and my PLT LDR time. After really figuring out what I liked and didnt, I sent them a .ppt with about 15 changes and updates I wanted. They made me a custom rig at absolutely no extra charge above regular retail. And, this wasn't just adjustments to features already included. I had them add some stuff completely unique to me. I was pretty impressed when Gene told me it wouldn't cost a single dollar extra.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, went over to their site to double check my facts just now, and sure enough they do their sewing overseas. Honestly, though I have no problem with their gear, I will say that their site and some of the imagery therein makes looks like they want to give the impression it is US made when in fact it isn't. I'll forgive them since they are very blunt about it when you go to their About Us page, but I do get the impression they want you to assume it's made here.

...Also, when talking customer service, I haven't dealt directly with HSGI in awhile, but I will say that in the past they have done me right. I wore a Warlord chest rig for about four years through BOLC, IBOLC and my PLT LDR time. After really figuring out what I liked and didnt, I sent them a .ppt with about 15 changes and updates I wanted. They made me a custom rig at absolutely no extra charge above regular retail. And, this wasn't just adjustments to features already included. I had them add some stuff completely unique to me. I was pretty impressed when Gene told me it wouldn't cost a single dollar extra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Emdom seems like solid gear.  The little bit I saw I liked.  But, I am an American built/made kind of guy, as best I can be.  If we dont support the HSGI's and such...there won't be any.  

As for your story,...that is some damn fine customer service.  Glad to hear they got you squared up man.  That alone, will make me buy their stuff.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mil-industrial complex
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top