Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 1:34:56 PM EDT
Afternoon everyone,

I'll be going through quite a few combat evasion courses over the next year and we have the option of running our own plate carrier or chest rig. Naturally I'm opting for the lighter option since I'll be evading. I'm looking at carrying 6-8 pmags, comms, ifak, and the rest of my gear will be in my pack. So far I've looked at the TAG phalanx type 2, Specter gear rapid reload, and the PIG UCR. I suppose at this point my only concern with the PIG UCR are reports of the mags coming out while going prone. So I suppose I wanted aome advice on a good chest carrier that is reasonably durable and can handle the gear I've listed above.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were evading and not looking for a stand up fight.  I'd want to be as light as possible. Including ammo. I'd go with no more than four mags.
Say, TT split front MAV, Two mags on each side of the split, fak under one arm and radio under the other, water on the back.

Even lighter would be my OSOE PALS micro rig, 3mag shingle offset to one side, radio on the other, fak on the belt or in/on the pack.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I were evading and not looking for a stand up fight.  I'd want to be as light as possible. Including ammo. I'd go with no more than four mags.
Say, TT split front MAV, Two mags on each side of the split, fak under one arm and radio under the other, water on the back.

Even lighter would be my OSOE PALS micro rig, 3mag shingle offset to one side, radio on the other, fak on the belt or in/on the pack.
View Quote

Great post.

I'll second a split front rig.
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm required to rock at minimum 6 mags. Believe me, if possible I'd opt for 3-4. Weight is a huge concern.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Throw the balance in or on the pack?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha, well that is a good point
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there any reason to use the split type mav? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a splitless chest rig so you can keep your gear on the front of your body and away from your pack/clear of a belt mounted sidearm?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
What equipment is your work currently providing? What is the nature of your work?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Way. Way. Waaaaaaay easier to get on and off.
When you prone, you can release it and spread it out and get lower and more comfortable.  You also then don't have to raise up and dig for mags.
Yes, you loose about two columns of pals, but so what, if you're going light?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
SERE training. If we don't get our own gear we use ratty flak jackets with generic chest carriers or surplus iotv
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-BRIG-CR-4-Mag-p/pig.526.htm
Pretty universal system from SKD you can configure it any way you want.

My personal favorite:
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR-Universal-Chest-Rig-p/pig.667.htm
The universal chest rig , you can run any number of ways.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The OSOE Micro Rig is ideal for your application. I love mine, but I do intend to get another chest rig with a split-front at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The OSOE Micro Rig is ideal for your application. I love mine, but I do intend to get another chest rig with a split-front at some point in the future.
View Quote

What he said. Maybe pals version with h harness. You can change configuration of pouches as you see fit
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go budget option of a surplus FLC with only three mags on your vest.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]
skdtac
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:19:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top