User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 1:20:37 PM EDT
- Chest Rig
- Plate Carrier
- Belt Rig
- Leg Rig
- Combination of the above

Like essentially anything, I know it boils down to personal preference but I'd like to get a feel for what is being used out there. I'm considering going with a HSGI chest rig teamed with a drop leg holster. Feel free to post pics of your stuff.

Matt
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have tried to make a leg rig work, but they suck for me.  Running hard, tends to make them flop a good bit, even when I have them tight/up high.  I think, that this is somewhat a consensus.    There was a guy a while back, that had Esstac make him a belt pouch, that held like 2 AR mags, and 3 pistol mags, with kydex inserts.  I liked that a lot, and intend on getting one.  Chest rigs are decent, but I don't think there are a lot of guys running them for multi gun, for whatever reason.  The HSGI Taco, looks pretty nice, and would be worth a look.  It's very versatile, and seems to be liked by many.  Hope this helps a bit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything on a HSGI war belt. Dual tacos for pistol/SCAR 17s magazines. California competition works shotgun shell caddies. I shoot heavy metal division: FNP45, SCAR 17, 870P
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a CR Speed Belt with a Blade-Tech holster for the pistol,  two pistol mag carriers and one rifle mag carrier (all Blade Tech).  You'll be hard-pressed to find a rifle stage that requires multiple magazine changes. With the advent of the 40-round PMags, there's even less need to reload on rifle stages.  

It's sorta the same with pistol stages in 3-Gun matches.  There's usually not that big a need to do a lot of mag changes (unllike USPSA or IDPA pistol), so 99% of the time I get by with one in the gun and two on the belt.  I'm also running Arredondo extended baseplates, so I can get 20+ rounds of 9mm in a mag.

For shotgun, I use a "Load-Two" chest rig from Chameleon Fabrics.  If I need to supplement that, I have some Mark Otto shell caddies (which I'll eventually upgrade to load two caddies from TACCOM or AP Customs or someone).

ETA:   Check out the 3-Gun Nation website.  There's a lot of info on gear there.  The Noveske Shooting Team DVDs, "3-Gun Outlaw" and "3-Gun Hero" also break down gear pretty well.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Safariland ELS belt and don't look back.

Shotgun stage? *Click Click Click* Ready!

Now a pistol stage? *Click Click Click* Ready!

All three? *Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click* Ready.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carefully study what the winners use, and consider emulating that.
View Quote

I guess it depends on your reasons for participating. I am not involved in 3-gun matches for the game aspect. I am not trying to win. I see it as an opportunity to practice engaging moving targets from "alternative" shooting positions. Putting my gear through the paces, I can practice weapons manipulation while moving and shooting under pressure (clock).

The best set ups for winning the game aren't always the most practical for real world applications. XRAIL shotgun magazine extensions, skeletonized holsters and shell caddies, monster Saiga-12 and AR extended magazines that protrude a foot below the weapon, mouse fart pistol loads, etc. That being said, gun games allow for innovative products to be tested that eventually may have applications outside of the game.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Belt rig hands down. Way easier to grab everything due to how low it is and where mags and ammo get placed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear chest rig and belt.  2pistol mags on the belt and one AR mag.  3AR mags in the chest rig and it has a pouch for shotgun shells.  I am with Miles in this, I wear shit to train with not win three gun matches.  I am still competitive with this rig though, I have recently started wearing my plate carrier (with AR500 plates) and this does slow me down.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess it depends on your reasons for participating. I am not involved in 3-gun matches for the game aspect. I am not trying to win. I see it as an opportunity to practice engaging moving targets from "alternative" shooting positions. Putting my gear through the paces, I can practice weapons manipulation while moving and shooting under pressure (clock).

The best set ups for winning the game aren't always the most practical for real world applications. XRAIL shotgun magazine extensions, skeletonized holsters and shell caddies, monster Saiga-12 and AR extended magazines that protrude a foot below the weapon, mouse fart pistol loads, etc. That being said, gun games allow for innovative products to be tested that eventually may have applications outside of the game.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No difference between an ELS belt and a war belt in positioning except that the ELS is adjustable to meet stage requirements you can set it up with TACOs on a Gunfighter Belt and play tacticool for about 4x the money though. Playing 3-gun means your belt setup is way out of sorts for what your going to carry in a SHTF situation: your not carrying 3 guns worth of ammo, you have no room for med pouch, you aren't carrying max load for your pistol, etc.

I wear my PC with my ELS belt at the range and home to try things out, it works together just like any other belt setup.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No difference between an ELS belt and a war belt in positioning except that the ELS is adjustable to meet stage requirements you can set it up with TACOs on a Gunfighter Belt and play tacticool for about 4x the money though. Playing 3-gun means your belt setup is way out of sorts for what your going to carry in a SHTF situation: your not carrying 3 guns worth of ammo, you have no room for med pouch, you aren't carrying max load for your pistol, etc.

I wear my PC with my ELS belt at the range and home to try things out, it works together just like any other belt setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer one setup. Train as you fight.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kills me is being cross dominant, I shoot pistol right handed and carbine left handed. I've seen some neat pistol/carbine combo pouches that just won't work for me. I pretty much have to stick to one setup- chest rig or a single mag in the back pocket for carbine use and a belt just like my duty belt, Safariland Lvl III and duty type mag pouches. If I had plates I'd likely wear them. I'd prefer to be more proficient with my duty gear than anything as improving my skills is much of the reason I shoot. That, and shooting is fun.

ETA: I don't do 3 gun, carbine/pistol matches are all I do. I only keep a shotgun around because I have to qualify with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a vtac molle belt w/ blue force suspenders. I'm pretty skinny and assless, so without the suspenders, I need to have the belt so tight its really uncomfortable or it will fall off. I use single taco pouches 3 pistol on weak side, 2 rifle on rear, 3x safariland double 12 ga holders on weak side, a tac tailor upright 6 round 12 ga holder behind pistol, and a 6 rd calif comp works 12 ga holder in front of pistol- where I shoot 3 gun they go crazy on shotgun work. Holster is a serpa duty on t he stock belt drop.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Cross dominant here. Pistol mags on the left side, one rifle mag behind my pistol on the right side. Shell caddys up front. I also run a home make kydex chest rig for shotgun shells only. Cant say I have every needed more than 2 rifle mags in a 3 gun stage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top