Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2014 12:45:24 PM EDT
http://www.botach.com/hardwire-nij-level-3-10x12-ballistic-trauma-plates-w-25-year-warranty-2-for-260-00/
Not sure if this is in the right section, apologies if its not.
Above is the link for plates I could possibly be interested in but I am confused about the ballistic rating.  They say lvl 3+, can anyone confirm exactly what this means.  I am not sure what I am getting through google searches is enough to make me confident in buying yet.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a marketing thing.  Here is a recent thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/427344_Can_someone_school_me_on_level_3__armor_.html

Edit: There's also a difference in 0108.01 testing standards vs. 0101.06.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link.  Still confused but it does give reference.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The NIJ ratings for hard armor goes from III to IV.  There isn't an official III+.  Some manufacturers label their plates at III+ in their product names to signify that the plate has been shot with other rounds than specified by the standard.

There should be some test data available that you can request to see.

0108.01 is shot with a witness panel behind the plate.  0101.06 has different requirements.  Namely, temperature conditioning of plates, drop test before firing, and mounting the plate on a clay backer for back face measurements.

I haven't shot an 0108.01 test in a while, so I might be off on the description.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.  I have contacted the manufacturer also and waiting for a reply.  Just want to make sure I know what I am purchasing with an item this vital.  Again thanks for your help and info !
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The NIJ ratings for hard armor goes from III to IV.  There isn't an official III+.  Some manufacturers label their plates at III+ in their product names to signify that the plate has been shot with other rounds than specified by the standard.
There should be some test data available that you can request to see.

0108.01 is shot with a witness panel behind the plate.  0101.06 has different requirements.  Namely, temperature conditioning of plates, drop test before firing, and mounting the plate on a clay backer for back face measurements.
I haven't shot an 0108.01 test in a while, so I might be off on the description.

CHRIS  
View Quote

You are correct.

I have seen some of the Hardwire clipboards and shields that did not have any kind of coating on them. They were just pressed Dyneema. I am astonished that they would warranty those for 25-years, since there is no way those pieces will maintain integrity for more than a few years without some kind of UV protection. I don't know what they are thinking but that is going to bite them in the ass down the road.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump for updates
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top