Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2014 7:11:16 PM EDT
How do plate carrier and plate sizes compare to T shirt sizes?

With out having Plates and carriers to try on, can you guys help me find the right size?

T shirt sizes and how they fit are below.
---------------------------------

XXL. is what i wear every day i like them loose.

XL. fits well and it slightly loose.

L. Fits very tightly on my arms. Tightly hug's the unflattering gut That i'm working on getting rid of and failing horribly at.

M. Will bust the seam's.

-------------------------

In before the fatty hate.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Plate carriers are sized according to the size of the plates they carry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
And clearly there's some magic way you find out what size you get with out buying 1 of each.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. Look up plate sizes, measure your torso front with attention to where your vitals are.
Then, pick the plate size that provides optimum protection (usually the smallest size that will completely cover heart, lungs, aorta, etc.) and pick a carrier scaled for that size plate, plus backers if you want or if the plate is an in-conjunction rated type.

Done.

ETA: as a reference on what plates should be covering: Proper wear of Hard Armor, with anatomical diagrams
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Plates should be sized to protect your internal organs, not your whole body. So even if you are overweight your organs are in the same place despite being covered with layers if fat. I would however recommend loosing some weight as a beer belly will prevent plates from siting properly and in general is good for health.  As for sizing you want the plate to just cover each nipple, the top should almost be level with your collar bone and the bottom of the plate should not dig into your hips or get pushed up when you sit down. As doe the shirt size reference im 6' tall, 200 lbs, wear size large tshirts and wear a large armor carrier, large ESAPI and large BALCS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone just help the poor guy out and give him the sizes
per wiki:

Measure your guts (see the "Proper wear of Armor" thread) and get the smallest plate that'll still cover them.
Me personally, I'm a Med-reg guy (small-long on occasion) and my large plates are juuuust too big in the front.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top