Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 7:45:59 PM EDT
A while back, one of my buddies who trains under and hangs out with some well respected local arfcom trainers told me about the idea of home defense body armor. I've always considered the idea to be somewhat ridiculous, but then I reconsidered it. It might be useful, especially if your house is sufficiently large that you might have time to put it on. Any such armor would be sitting next to the bed (and next to my AR15). Being an arfcommer since 13 has the effect of ensuring there are no women to complain about stuff like that . It would need to be very easy to put on quickly. I'm thinking velcro waist straps. I've done some reading and archive searches, and came up with two general ideas.

1) Buy a used level 2 vest from bulletproofme.com. http://www.bulletproofme.com/Bullet_proof_Vests_Catalog.shtml

2) Buy level 4 standalone plates from bulletproofme.com http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-4-Stand-Alone.html and a minimalist plate carrier such as the PIG brigandine or one from Beez.

3) Get both; buy a vest that could hold both the level 2 armor and the level 4 standalone plates.

4) US Palm Defender

I personally think level 4 plates in a plate carrier are overkill for home defense, as they are heavy and the probability of someone showing up unwelcomed with a rifle is very small. With that said, it could be set up with a mag pouch, so that extra mags are at the ready in case of a jam. My gut tells me option 1 is the most practical and realistic, since it is cheap, covers a large area, and could perhaps even go under clothing if I wanted to wear it out and about (almost zero chance of that). Option 2 appeals to me because rifle protection might be nice in times of civil unrest such as hurricanes and the societal break down that follows, plus the ability to put it on really quickly and carry a spare magazine. Option 3 seems like it would be far too bulky and I would never get it on in time. Option 4 seems appealing for being pretty cheap, but considering the modest cost of some of the cheaper ceramic plates, is not that great of a deal. I also considered AR500 plate, which I might go with if my only goal were long run SHTF, but considering the spalling threat, increased weight and only modestly reduced cost compared with the heavy ceramics, it doesn't seem to be that great of a deal.

The main reason I'm interested in this is I had no idea how affordable this stuff could be until I started reading about it. I just assumed a level 2 kevlar vest would be 600 bucks and a level 4 ceramic plate would be 400 each or more, which all seems to be true if you buy the light weight ones. But I am low speed and no drag, and I don't really need something that I can comfortably wear all day long in an Arab country with summer highs of 120 F.

If I actually bought any of this stuff, as with my firearms, I would practice accessing it until it became muscle memory. I've had one situation where I mistakenly thought someone was trying to break in, and I reacted exactly as I had planned to (which included safety on, booger hook of bang switch, and low ready until the situation was fully understood).

I am a total newbie when it comes to anything that is not 3-gun, practical pistol or NRA high power. If I've misunderstood something, or even if you think the whole premise is stupid, let me know.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited as this is not GD...VA-gunnut

I was actually of the opinion that plates would make more sense in the home as they're heavy and I probably won't be going anywhere in them.  Well, heavy for a guy on his third back surgery.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
speaking as a new guy who dealt with similar. i bought IIIa and buying plates because of the rise in crime over town. I would rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think low profile would be extremely important considering homes tend to have narrow door-ways and things that larger vests can snag on. As far as performance level I would think pistol round and shotgun rounds would be your primary threat so IIIA would be sufficient. Used police Kevlar vest could be had for cheap and would fulfill that roll.

As for if plates are necessary.....it doesn't matter if you get IIIA or full on ESAPI plates, you need to practice and train in the vest, especially low light donning and maneuvering inside of a home. Being woken up at 2am because some ass-hole is breaking in is not the time put your vest on backwards or what not.

-In this case velcro is bad unless you can put your vest on with the velcro all fastened. Makes too much noise and takes too long to mess with. Your vest should literally be: throw over head and go.

-Minimal stuff on the vest. Couple spare magazines, a spare light, and a first aid kit designed for gun-shot wounds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, in my home?  I am grabbing a gun, that has a light on it.  Then I plan on lighting them up, and then lighting them up.  You are talking precious seconds of getting your gun, and getting into position.  By the time you wake up, and suit up, and get ready, it'll probably be too late.  

Seriously, I have some good armor, and am ready to use it, should the situation require, but that probably aint in the house.  I am going to rely on a few things.  1. my training.  2. my element of surprise.  3. the "home court" advantage. 4. most likely better firepower.  

If you want to wear armor, more power to you.  It just boils down to one of those things, that we all have to make our choices, and live or die with them.  I don't remember who said it, or where I read it, but it was one of the best sayings I ever read on the matter.  "Gunfighting is complete and total problem solving".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that simply due to the time is takes to don armor it is of little use during a home invasion.  Even if I had time, if I heard my daughter screaming I'm not going to take the time.  There are certainly other reasons to have armor (and I do) but HD isn't among them.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to save you some trouble.

Buy a set of VS BALCS inserts in your size. $450
Buy a CIRAS or similar carrier second hand new. $250
Get a set of Midwest/Highcom gaurdians. $300

For less than 1k you've got a great, brand new setup with a warranty that can also be used concealable if you get a concealable carrier like a PACA low viz. Everything will be new, with a warranty and will generally scale quite well if you need more armor in the future. Alternatively you could look at a new IOTV or OTV as those can be had relatively cheap if you know where to look, but a good set of BALCS armor is more versitile if you're only going to buy one set of armor, and the price difference in that much.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple different armor setups and honestly I like the USpalms defender concept for a home defense role.
It's very affordable, you can set it up to hold what you'd need. ( spare mag, light , charged cell phone andthe handgun)
If you leave one side cconnected and one open you can throw it on with one hand pretty quick.
I use a concealable vest and minus the ability to carry things the principal is the same.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I own plates but my house it to tiny to consider donning them in a break in plus my mayflower carrier would be so loud trying to put on its not even funny

For me grabbing my ar and if I think I have time my battle belt
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You mean to say you guys don't sleep in your armor?!

Joking aside I don't see need for armor in HD situation. However I can see being more comfortable having it. I have IIIa soft armor next to my bed but that is only because I have it for other reasons and by the bed just seemed like a good place to keep it. If I was going to have armor for the home defense situation I think I would choose a hard plate verity because of the nature of being shot at close proximity and wanting the armor to absorb the energy of the round and not my body absorbing the energy.

Just how I see it right or wrong as it may be.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For less than 1k you've got a great, brand new setup with a warranty that can also be used concealable if you get a concealable carrier like a PACA low viz. Everything will be new, with a warranty and will generally scale quite well if you need more armor in the future. Alternatively you could look at a new IOTV or OTV as those can be had relatively cheap if you know where to look, but a good set of BALCS armor is more versitile if you're only going to buy one set of armor, and the price difference in that much.
View Quote

I would recommend exactly this.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Solid advice. BALCS cut soft armor provides versatility and there is huge market support.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading some more on other forums and this thread, I think I'm leaning towards the plate carrier option, with an emphasis on ease to put on. I think I'll save up for the Midwest guardian plates. They seem inexpensive and highly thought of among those who don't care about weight. I'm somewhat amazed you can get a plate that stops one round of AP 308 for 140 bucks.

I have one question about NIJ certifications. I know level III means it can stop multiple hits of 308 spaced a few inches apart, and level IV means it can stop one round of AP 308. Will a level IV plate still stop multiple rounds of standard 308 like a level III will?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After reading some more on other forums and this thread, I think I'm leaning towards the plate carrier option, with an emphasis on ease to put on. I think I'll save up for the Midwest guardian plates. They seem inexpensive and highly thought of among those who don't care about weight. I'm somewhat amazed you can get a plate that stops one round of AP 308 for 140 bucks.

I have one question about NIJ certifications. I know level III means it can stop multiple hits of 308 spaced a few inches apart, and level IV means it can stop one round of AP 308. Will a level IV plate still stop multiple rounds of standard 308 like a level III will?
View Quote

Depends on the plate. The Highcom/Midwest Gaurdians will.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep this available. I figure that I would throw it on if the situation permits, if not I would be in the same situation as if I didn't have it available. I don't think the option has any adverse affect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I would buy low profile concealable soft body armor prob a 2 or 3A as well as a plate carrier with lvl 4 ceramics. Use the soft for when you might need armor but don't wan to advertise it and the plate carrier for a bump in the night or SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#17]
After skimming the plate carrier thread, I ordered level 4 ceramics for a hell of a price. Now I'm thinking of a carrier. I've narrowed it down to two, though other similar options are welcome. I'm looking for simplicity. I want something I can put on quickly.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Brig-Plate-Carrier-All-Molle-Rear-SYSTEMA-p/pig.401.htm
http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/BCS-Plate-Carrier-Molle-BCS-PC-M.htm

http://www.greyghostgear.com/rigs/minimalist-plate-carrier-large

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/bpc-gpc/basic-plate-carrier-bpc/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top