Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 5:13:57 AM EDT
I got this helmet on EBay and I was very disappointed to find out it it is a CVC helmet and not a high cut ballistic helmet (that discussion is on another thread). The seller specifically said it came with a Wilcox shroud. Once I got the helmet and realized it wasn't what they said it was, I started looking at the accessories, and it think they are fake (air soft knockoffs). Can anyone tell the difference between the real Wilcox shroud and the $16 fake? I'm sure the rails are fake also, but the seller never stated that they were real so that's my fault I guess.
Also- I know that even if it's real it's made for a bump helmet, but that's ok. I just want to know if I can prove my case and get my money back. I only bought it because I figured the accessories would be worth it if nothing else. But if they are fake???

http://i.imgur.com/XcFCddN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NlndDVr.jpg
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
OST in this one to find out myself for the future, and hoping the OP gets his money back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe our lighting is different but here is my Wilcox circa 2013 from TNVC. It appears much darker
ETA: Lol, even the cutouts are drastically different.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like that W shroud is something Wilcox made for the Team Wendy helmets.

http://store.teamwendy.com/w-shroud/

Take a look at the polymer portion of the shroud. It's kind of hard to describe but my 3-hole shroud as a finish that matches what's on the pic below your post and on the Wendy website. From your pic (now there is a significant difference in lighting and resolution) it looks like your shroud uses a completely different type of plastic.

Here's another look at the wilcox plastic. I think your looks remarkably different.
https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-l4-three-hole-shroud/

I think that shroud might be a reproduction.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like that W shroud is something Wilcox made for the Team Wendy helmets.

http://store.teamwendy.com/w-shroud/

Take a look at the polymer portion of the shroud. It's kind of hard to describe but my 3-hole shroud as a finish that matches what's on the pic below your post and on the Wendy website. From your pic (now there is a significant difference in lighting and resolution) it looks like your shroud uses a completely different type of plastic.

Here's another look at the wilcox plastic. I think your looks remarkably different.
https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-l4-three-hole-shroud/

I think that shroud might be a reproduction.
View Quote

I came here to post that link, and I was going to say the exact same thing about the polymer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the pic. I believe these were made specifically for the Team Wendy helmet, and they are a little different than yours. These companies make them so well now (visually anyway) that it's hard to tell the difference. It looks identical to the pictures I can find online, except a little lighter color. I'm still waiting for my Rhino arm to show up, so I can't even try it out and see how it fits.
Anyone else have any pics of the real deal to compare?
I HATE AIR SOFT CRAP!! Low cost stuff has it's place, but stop copying the name and serial number and everything, and trying to pass it off as real!
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I checked those links, and the team Wendy pic is supposed to be the exact same shroud. It definitely looks a lot darker than mine. If you look for a replica shroud on EBay the color matches mine perfectly.  It's got to be fake, but still nothing definitive. Thanks for the links.
The hardware that mounts it seems really cheap too. It looks the same on the front side, but the screws are TINY with tiny little heads. I can't believe Wilcox would use these, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you pay through Paypal?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, and I believe I can get my money back through them if I jump through the hoops. But honestly, I kind of like the helmet. It's really light, and other than the holes she drilled to move the chin strap screws (because of the rails), it's a nice helmet. It's basically just to mount my NVG so it doesn't need to be 3A. That's why I am concerned about the mount tho, that's the ONLY reason I bought it. If I have to spend another $100 for a decent shroud, then I'm not happy. If it's a real shroud, then I'm happy with it overall
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, and I believe I can get my money back through them if I jump through the hoops. But honestly, I kind of like the helmet. It's really light, and other than the holes she drilled to move the chin strap screws (because of the rails), it's a nice helmet. It's basically just to mount my NVG so it doesn't need to be 3A. That's why I am concerned about the mount tho, that's the ONLY reason I bought it. If I have to spend another $100 for a decent shroud, then I'm not happy. If it's a real shroud, then I'm happy with it overall
View Quote

worst case, you could put a GoPro in there
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE- The seller basically admitted it was fake, and said she would give me a refund if I send it back (after saying "unless you are going to Afghanistan, what do you need a real ballistic helmet for anyway. Go spend $1200 on a real helmet with a real mount, and send it back", unbelievable).  I'm sending it out today, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe our lighting is different but here is my Wilcox circa 2013 from TNVC. It appears much darker

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/helmet1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/helmet1.jpg</a>
View Quote

What kind of helmet is this? Do you like it? I think I'm going to buy a bump helmet for my NVG once I get my refund. I saw some $60 helmets from Botach this weekend, and I was wondering if they are any good. They don't come with a shroud, and look a lot like yours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What kind of helmet is this? Do you like it? I think I'm going to buy a bump helmet for my NVG once I get my refund. I saw some $60 helmets from Botach this weekend, and I was wondering if they are any good. They don't come with a shroud, and look a lot like yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/helmet1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/helmet1.jpg</a>

Pro Tech Bravo High Cut
Wilcox Mount
Down Range gear retention
Pro Tech Rails
Princeton Tech Switch MPLS IR/white on one side for tasks, maps, etc and a Insight M3 on the other side of actual illum. I've got a Phoenix JR IR beacon but no real way to mount it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
UPDATE- The seller basically admitted it was fake, and said she would give me a refund if I send it back (after saying "unless you are going to Afghanistan, what do you need a real ballistic helmet for anyway. Go spend $1200 on a real helmet with a real mount, and send it back", unbelievable).  I'm sending it out today, thanks for the help.
View Quote

after the refund i'd leave negative feedback for his attitude alone
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Negative feedback for sure! She keeps calling me 'Mr airsoft', because I said the accessories are air soft fakes and not the real deal.

Anyone have a bump helmet they recommend? I like the Ops Core non-ballistic ones, but are they really worth $400 or whatever they go for?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I've tried many and I would highly recommend the Team Wendy Exfil LTP.  It has the metal insert on the shroud so it locks up tight with your mounting arm.  It is also very light and has a killer suspension system.  Very comfortable.  They come with 2 pic rails if you need those, plus all the bungee straps for taking wobble out of mounts.  These go for $299 at TNVC.

http://tnvc.com/shop/team-wendy-exfil-ltp-bump-helmet/
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#16]
What's the seller's name?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Negative feedback for sure! She keeps calling me 'Mr airsoft', because I said the accessories are air soft fakes and not the real deal.

Anyone have a bump helmet they recommend? I like the Ops Core non-ballistic ones, but are they really worth $400 or whatever they go for?
View Quote

$240ish and Wendy Exfils for $299
Are they worth it? that's up to you. You do get a shroud and rails as well as a better suspension system and pads...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#18]
The seller is G.I. Jane. Dont buy from her unless you are looking for air soft stuff (she seems to sell a lot of it). I would never have bought from her, but I literally found the helmet with about 2 minutes left in the auction and it seemed like a good deal, so I threw in a bid and got it.

The Team Wendy looks nice. The ProTech looks very similar for about half the price. What are the main differences in these helmets? They seem to go anywhere from $60 to $500. I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to waste money either. As long as it's comfortable and stable for my PVS-14 that's all I really need.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The seller is G.I. Jane. Dont buy from her unless you are looking for air soft stuff (she seems to sell a lot of it). I would never have bought from her, but I literally found the helmet with about 2 minutes left in the auction and it seemed like a good deal, so I threw in a bid and got it.

The Team Wendy looks nice. The ProTech looks very similar for about half the price. What are the main differences in these helmets? They seem to go anywhere from $60 to $500. I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to waste money either. As long as it's comfortable and stable for my PVS-14 that's all I really need.
View Quote

A handful of people in the NVG forum use them and like them. I bought it first for a bump helmet and second for a mounting platform.
If you spend $4,000 on an NVG setup, $400 for a helmet isn't bad. It's all relative
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a protech that I bought as my first helmet.  It will work.  It is not very comfortable if you are going to wear it for more than an hour or two.  It just has foam pads inside so you get hot spots and it doesn't breath very well/retains heat.  It also wobbles around compared to the TW and OC.  It will work fine as a starter helmet or for someone who isn't going to wear the gear a lot.  If you are going to stay with the Protech, don't ever put a TW on.  

If I had it to do over again, I'd have put the Protech money towards the TW I eventually bought.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I finally got my refund today! I'm off to buy a Team Wendy from TNVC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I finally got my refund today! I'm off to buy a Team Wendy from TNVC.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I won't buy anything from eBay anymore. Too much fake shit. Glad you got your money back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I won't buy anything from eBay anymore. Too much fake shit. Glad you got your money back.
View Quote

That's why I'm going straight to TNVC this time. I've been watching the EE for a good bump helmet, but I haven't seen any lately. I'm definitely not buying one from EGay! There are way too many air soft fake Ops Core helmets on there. There are some good surplus guys on there, but you really have to know what you are buying and who you are buying from.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Team Wendy EXFIL helmet (carbon fiber). You won't be disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top