Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
I am looking into some low cost gear.  Found a like new ilbe main pack / matching assault pack and hydration system for these ($130)

Before I pull the trigger. Does anyone have exsperience with these? Are they worth it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a great pack, they were designed by a high end company (I can't remember if it's arc'teryx or someone similar) and then built in mass by Propper.

They can be found cheaper too (sometimes), check the EE here or ebay to price check.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a great pack, they were designed by a high end company (I can't remember if it's arc'teryx or someone similar) and then built in mass by Propper.

They can be found cheaper too (sometimes), check the EE here or ebay to price check.
View Quote

The ones I am looking at say "Designed by ARCTERYX and Manufactured in USA by Propper International for the US Military".

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I used them the four years I was in the Marines, and trusted them. Check the zippers on the lid pack (50/50 shot of failing). That was the only downside I had with my issued one.
Another place to look is your local fun show: I ended up snagging a 95% main pack (just missing assault pack) for $60.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, they were designed by ArcTeryx, based off their Bora pack IIRC.
There's the first gen ones with black trim, 2nd with tan, and even a minorly-updated 3rd gen with extra Fastex buckles here and there.
Lots of space, side-opening zippers, even some pass through vertical pockets on the side for skis (could maybe fit a rifle, never tried on mine.)

I'd check all the internal seams, as well as the zippers to make sure they haven't separated. They're not badly constructed, just a lot of them have been through hell.
At around $100 these days it's a great bargain.

The only complaints I hear are that it's not designed for use while wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I managed to buy an almost new one on ebay a few years ago.
It holds a shit ton of gear, lots of pockets. I use the radio flap to retain my MSR water bag.
Jetboil fuel fits nicely in the rocket pockets.

No body armor for me, so it fits very comfortably. I carried the damn thing loaded (had to take water) up Guadalupe Peak.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a standard and a recon version of both the main pack and assault pack.  They both have obvious differences, yet considerable similarities.  The recon versions are rarer.  There are also different accessory and radio pouches to compliment the 2 versions.  Do some research on the two before you commit to buying.  Either way, they're awesome packs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
the assault pack is a simple design and can be had for between $10-40 each and are of decent design and construction.  I have one MARPAT and one crocodile Charlie pack

good to schlep about with
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought this set here.  I like the hydration system included.

Also picked up one of these.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top