Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2014 11:34:47 PM EDT
I need some recommendations on ballistic prescription glasses that do not require inserts.  My prescription is pretty light, 40/20 near sighted only.  Glasses don't have to be APEL approved, but am looking at some ballistic protection while I'm shooting rifle/handgun with a helmet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Oakley can put prescription lenses in many of their frames. A buddy I deployed with got a pair of metal frames from them and all of their lenses are ballistic rated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have ESS (made my Oakley) with prescription inserts.

Both the Cross and ICE series use the same inserts, so if you want to change styles after investing in your inserts you can do so.

http://www.esseyepro.com/Ballistic-Eyeshields_161_category.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
WileyX make great glasses too, and they're cheaper than Oakley, and I think just as good.  However, they will only do it if you are LE/MIL
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]

I don't think anything Rx will truly be rated "ballistic" by the manufacturer.  They will say that their products are comparable though.  If these are for recreational use that should be fine.

If you're .mil or LE, Oakley's Rx program is the tits.  Fast and painless (and somewhat cheaper).

spf

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The Army gave me a set of Oakley's, the M Frame version with interchangeable lenses, that were made with my prescription. They were on the approved eyewear list and looked great. The prescription lenses did not encompass the entire lens though they were "embedded" in the middle just large enough to work right. The lenses on the M Frame's were large enough to cover the entire eye both below and to the sides, so in my opinion they offered good eye protection with the benefit of helping me see better.

Looked like these - pic courtesy of Google;
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Wiley
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Army gave me a set of Oakley's, the M Frame version with interchangeable lenses, that were made with my prescription. They were on the approved eyewear list and looked great. The prescription lenses did not encompass the entire lens though they were "embedded" in the middle just large enough to work right. The lenses on the M Frame's were large enough to cover the entire eye both below and to the sides, so in my opinion they offered good eye protection with the benefit of helping me see better.

Looked like these - pic courtesy of Google;
http://www.rawbrilliance.com/images/oakleys_m_rx/oakleys_m_rx_01.jpg
View Quote

Those are interesting glasses, hard to tell from the photo, but the prescription is built into the lens?  Does the lens extend far enough where you don't have trouble shooting in the prone? I thought the plastic lens itself was prescription on these.

I'll look into the Oakleys.  I wonder if my health insurance will help cover some of the cost.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes the middle portion is the prescription lens. If I remember right (I had laser correction eye surgery so do not have them anymore) the prescription portion of the lenses were made of a similar type material as the rest of the lenses like impact resistant plastic or something.

The prescription portion of the lens is just big enough in my opinion, but it did take a bit of time to get used to I guess its similar to loupes... Sometimes they would slip down off my nose and I would have to push them back up though. When I did that my hands were usually filthy and would end up scratching the lenses. So beware these do scratch up but they still worked ok. I don't remember having an issue with shooting in the prone. But I was in a vehicle when I used them most so I was standing up or kneeling on my knees in the seat at eye defilade.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
There are several advantages of an insert that sits behind the protective lenses (I use ESS)
1. The cheap protective lens protects the expensive prescription lens
2. Different lenses for different light conditions can be used
3. Different frames can be used depending upon the ear-pro used (plugs, muffs +/- helmet)
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes good point about the lenses. The kit I got had yellowish, dark tinted and clear lenses each with the prescription insert. Since you are going to be buying these out of pocket you will at least need a clear and dark tinted lens ,so if you go with the Oakley's it will be a pretty penny $$.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes good point about the lenses. The kit I got had yellowish, dark tinted and clear lenses each with the prescription insert. Since you are going to be buying these out of pocket you will at least need a clear and dark tinted lens ,so if you go with the Oakley's it will be a pretty penny $$.
View Quote

I don't mind spending money on things that I will use a lot.  I spent $1,000 on my custom electronic earplugs, so I don't think the glasses will cost more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think anything Rx will truly be rated "ballistic" by the manufacturer.  They will say that their products are comparable though.  If these are for recreational use that should be fine.

If you're .mil or LE, Oakley's Rx program is the tits.  Fast and painless (and somewhat cheaper).

spf

View Quote

Wiley X does if ordered through the manufacturer.  Also APEL list's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top