Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2014 4:55:24 PM EDT
Hey guys, here's a little project I'm working on.  I am converting my Howard Leight Impact Sport ear protection into a set of poorman's comtacs.  I decided to use the HL Impact Sport set because of the audio input jack installed by the factory.  However, almost any electronic ear pro with an audio input jack should work. It's still a work in progress and I will update the thread with step by step how to instructions, as well as where to acquire the components.  For now, I am posting some in progress pics.  It isn't complete yet, so don't worry.

First off, here's what you'll need:

Howard Leight Impact Sport
Military surplus pilot's headset
PTT of your choice
3.5mm male audio jack, solder type (2 of them)
3.5mm female audio jack, solder type
Soldering iron
Solder
Heat shrink tubing
Electrician's tape or liquid electric tape (optional)
Screwdriver (I used my Gerber)
Wire cutters (I used my Gerber)
Patience
Intelligence (small fraction of this required)

**Some teaser in progress pics of the conversion.  I will update later with more pics of it during the conversion and once I finish wiring everything.**

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested to see how this turns out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
most guys I know are chopping the cable off their comtacs for range use.........
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool project but I am a bit concerned about the fact that you have a foam head.  

Standing by for more details.  I was just about to order a headband wrap off of fleabay.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks cool. Keep us posted
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Only problems I can foresee is impedance problems but probably not an issue.

Thought about doing this myself.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Your next project needs to be a way to mount these to an ops core!
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Where does one locate the boom mic for a Peltor? (at a good price)
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
tag and bump
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had the same thought about the Impact Sports.  I like your idea of attaching a boom mic.  I was going to make a breakout box that would allow me to input up two two radios (one for each ear) and have separate PTTs for each.  Still in the design stage, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet idea, in for the instructions
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Interested in this, I have set of these I keep in my flight bag for wearing during preflight (because they fold down so compact and being around my specific airframe I need dual layers of hearing protection).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top