Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2013 3:31:04 PM EDT
Howdy,
I finally got out and rolled around in my PIG UCR (with the H harness).  I got the UCR a while ago, but have not had the opportunity to really  use it until this week.  This week I spent a good amount of time as OPFOR in a shoot house, for 8 hours a night.  The environment of the house was concrete and steel, with no light most of the time, and is not very forgiving.  If you do not have your gear squared away, life can get difficult and painful very quickly.I ran 8 AR-15 magazines in and out of the harness for all 8 hours each night, and the UCR kept them squared away, with good retention, but not too tight to where I had to fight to get them out(which can be a real challenge in the pitch black).  The harness also kept my comms. and IFAK squared away (and out of the way, until I needed them).   I use a USGI Bleeder pouch for a IFAK, and a Maxpedition radio pouch for the Yaesu FT-60.

This is the rig after the runs, minus magazines:

One of the things I carry in the IFAK is a pair of hemostats:

As a rural Firefighter, I have found that these can be very useful for getting things out of where they don't belong:

Which can lead to a little bit of leaking sometimes:

You can see the H harness to the right there.

So, the harness worked great, but how is it for clean-up?  How to get the blood out of the rig?  I never really thought about it before now, but now it's time for it..........

The old fashion way.
This is one of those times where the difference in good gear and crap gear really comes out.  
Soak cheap nylon and low quality cordura in a sink full of bleach, and you sometimes get stew, but not the case with good quality gear, like the UCR. Some of the straps turned a little lighter in color, but no effects in the material or construction.
It did not take long to strip all of the kit our of the rig, and sink it in the Clorox bath.

After the disinfecting:

Once again, the design of the UCR keeps things out of the way, but also allows for loading and unloading in a rather efficient way:

I really like this rig, and recommend it to anyone who wants a quality product.

Cheers,
CT
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
good review  - suggest using KRUD KUTTER instead of bleach for cleaning of nylon

spot-on review.  the PIG UCR (and the older PHUTV-SKD) s what I recommend to budget limited folks
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice job! I would love to see some action shots. I was wondering why the straps were lighter in the last two pics - Bleach explains it.
Keep on fighting.

SOS
View Quote

Thanks SOS, and thanks for a great piece of gear.  
Submersion and agitation in straight bleach is probably not a recommended practice, but it sure takes care of the biological material.  It's nice not to have to worry about how the UCR will come out of it.
I would put up some action shots, but the last time I did it was too graphic for some folks, ya' know how it is......
There are some great shots on the DARC1(training facility) Facebook page and on Youtube, with a good amount of SKD gear in the mix.
Cheers,
CT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top