Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 2:59:14 PM EDT
I would like to buy some nylon straps and buckles so I can tie down a shooting mat and a spotting scope case to my pack.  I'd also like to extend the strap length of a few of the straps on my other gear.

I have no idea where to buy quality stuff.  Google turned up tons of places for these materials, from crafts stores to industrial supply stores to high speed mall ninja stores.

I'm not overly concerned about the straps, as long as I can get them in various widths and such.

The buckles... I'd like them to be quick detach (the snap in style like you find on other shooting gear) and above all, quality.  Not cheap plastic crap that will crack or dry out in the sun.  I have some buckles on my Camelbak that have survived 8 years of utter abuse, and other buckles on cheaper bags that cracked the first time I snapped them together and cinched down the slack in the attached strap.

Any sources?  Maybe an arf sponsor?  I don't want to sew so I'll need sliders too.

And cutting the straps to length... Can I just take a flame and cauterize the ends so they don't fray?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
rockywoods.com
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Down Range Gear might be able to help you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rockywoods.com
View Quote

this.

1" nylon webbing, nexus side release buckles. You're golden
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Rebirth of the ol' M1956 sleeping bag carrier, aka "spaghetti straps":

2pcs Coyote 1" A A 55301 spec webbing 18" long cinch straps

1pc 8" long (handle)

1pc 7" long (crossbar)

2pcs Tan 499 ITW Nexus Side Release Buckles

2pcs Tan499 1" W 5684 Elastic 3" long excess webbing retainers

Straight stitch the elastic loop 1" long, 3/4" box stitch the buckles, box stitch the crossbar and handle under the cinch straps and Bob's yer uncle.

If you want to  get real creative, you add two 4" long snapped PALS tabs on the backside to attach to a ruck or buttpack via PALS loops without unsecuring the main cinch straps.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rebirth of the ol' M1956 sleeping bag carrier, aka "spaghetti straps":
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/adlerarmory/IMG798_zps53dd56b2.jpg?t=1374893926

2pcs Coyote 1" A A 55301 spec webbing 18" long cinch straps
1pc 8" long (handle)
1pc 7" long (crossbar)
2pcs Tan 499 ITW Nexus Side Release Buckles
2pcs Tan499 1" W 5684 Elastic 3" long excess webbing retainers

Straight stitch the elastic loop 1" long, 3/4" box stitch the buckles, box stitch the crossbar and handle under the cinch straps and Bob's yer uncle.

If you want to  get real creative, you add two 4" long snapped PALS tabs on the backside to attach to a ruck or buttpack via PALS loops without unsecuring the main cinch straps.
View Quote

Nice work sir.  This is similar to what I'm wanting to do, only you are far more creative and adept than I.  I'm simply looking to loop some nylon straps through existing MOLLE webbing and clip in a few pieces of gear to secure them, then cinch them down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top