Site Notices
9/2/2014 6:40:42 PM
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
Author
I am the Djinn...
Military
Posted: 11/11/2012 1:44:40 PM
My friend and I went to the surplus store for shits and grins and I found this Tactical Tailor kit for $95... Its about $300 worth of kit and everything except the E&E pouch and my old SAW pouch is brand new. I fucking win.
Now I just have to dye it all green.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Our Forefathers would be shooting by now...
R.I.P. Matthew Attalai (Sep 6th 2010) Afghanistan
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2012 3:21:56 PM
[Last Edit: 11/11/2012 4:44:51 PM by raf]
Good score. The upper, central pouch was originaly intended for a Barrett .50 cal mag + accessories, but TT sells 'em as "Multipurpose Pouches". OK for fairly sizeable items, but small stuff, like batts/pens could fall out unless you stitch up the top 1" of the sides of the inner pouch. Once you fix the "leakage' issue, either by sewing or with snaps, not a bad Admin pouch.

The lower mag pouches were originally intended for 2x30-rd AR mags, but wil, according to TT, accept 1 each 20-rd 7.62 NATO mags. Nice to have options, isn't it? You will need to spread them out a little so the wider 7.62 mags don't bang/rattle against each other. You will see what I mean.

Upper side pouches look to be TT "Small Utility pouches". Can't tell what platform they're mounted on, but if it's TT-made, looks like you have a TT Modular Assault Vest + MAV bib. No load bearing "X-Harness' for you unless you ditch the bib. Check TT's web site for any accessories for the platform prior to dyeing.

Come to think of it, check www.greyghostgear.com website, as a lot of the stuff they sell was originally made by TT. Again, do that before dyeing.

IIRC, TT has had most of their items made in ACU digital camo at reduced price for a while now, but always check GG (mentioned above) for usually MUCH lower prices on TT stuff they still have.

ACU stuff can be dyed a very presentable green-based digital camo using Dark Green Rit Dye. Mix up HOT––nearly boiling–– water, add a few cups of salt and a box of Dye. Stir well, and then dunk the single items of gear––Use tongs! Dunk until you like what you see, then pull the item and rinse well, With nylon, what you see is what you get; it seldom lightens up much––if at all–– after rinsing and drying, so you probably will be surprised at how little time the items spend in the dye. Wash any old/dirty items prior to dunking. When washing tactical gear/clothing, DO NOT use conventional laundry detergents, as such have UV "brighteners", which is a BAD THING for tactical and even hunting applications. I use Sport Wash on my clothing items and wash tactical gear in the sink/bathtub using unscented dish detergent.
Dis-assemble/open-up everything prior to dyeing; make sure the dye gets everywhere. Fastex buckles don't mind boiling water temps, but I always remove the MALICE clips.

Just a thought, but if things turn brown/tan in your AO during the winter, mebbe don't dye at all; just add some coyote brown pouches here and there to break up the outline/color a bit, and call it a day. Your call.

TT is good kit, and you got a pretty good deal, all things considered. Congrats.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
Three0hEight
I am the Djinn...
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2012 5:24:11 PM
[Last Edit: 11/11/2012 5:25:38 PM by Three0hEight]
You have got to be the single most helpful person I think I've found on this website so far. Thank you for the great advice. This will be my first attempt at dyeing stuff so hopefully it all goes well. I live in the "evergreen state" so pretty much everything is green year round haha! I went to the TT store immediately after I bought the kit and priced everything out and was VERY happy with the price I paid. I NEVER use regular detergent on my tac-gear or hunting gear because of the UV brightners. I just use scent killer brand laundry soap. Thank you again!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
raf
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2012 5:49:13 PM
Originally Posted By Three0hEight:
You have got to be the single most helpful person I think I've found on this website so far. Thank you for the great advice. This will be my first attempt at dyeing stuff so hopefully it all goes well. I live in the "evergreen state" so pretty much everything is green year round haha! I went to the TT store immediately after I bought the kit and priced everything out and was VERY happy with the price I paid. I NEVER use regular detergent on my tac-gear or hunting gear because of the UV brightners. I just use scent killer brand laundry soap. Thank you again!

I am glad to help! Most posters here are better informed than me in most things, and they are equally willing to help. It is a lot easier to help somebody smart enough to post pix of what they are talking about, that's for sure.

Looking again at your gear, it seems to be coyote brown, rather than tan. When you are dyeing it, you will need to pay attention to the time you dunk it, as that makes a BIG difference in how dark the final result becomes. I've dyed a few 3-color desert items (basically tan with some darker camo stripes), and the result was a light/med green with visible brown stripes and splotches. Not bad for around here in all but dead winter.

In your AO, being more-or-less green throughout the year, my guess is that dyeing Coyote brown with dk green dye woud add some green to the overall color, and darken it up quite a bit. If that's OK for you, then go to it. if not, you could sell-off the rig on the EE here and make some money, as coyote brown is a popular color. I doubt you could sell the whole thing and get enough $ to replace what you bought in a color more suitable to your AO, so it is up to you. Good luck, and feel free to ask questions.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
Three0hEight
I am the Djinn...
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2012 6:12:47 PM
Yeah its a coyote color and I'm just gonna dye it. There's every shade of green around here so I'm not really worried about what shade it comes out, as long as its green haha! I might even dye it and then go over it with a sharpie to break up outlines. Like most of what I do, I prefer function over looks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
raf
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2012 6:29:45 PM
[Last Edit: 11/11/2012 6:39:26 PM by raf]
Here's some DCU and 3-color desert that I dyed with Dk Green Rit dye:

Real-world color was darker, more like the colors on the right edge of the photo.

FWIW, not all nylon material in the same camo pattern takes the dye the same way, as you can see from the pic. So pay attention, and stop dyeing and rinse the items when they look OK to you.

On this second pic, the colors in real world are closer to those seen on the left side of the pic, and the 3-color Desert e-tool carrier is greener than it appears, as is the originally light tan sling:
sandboxmedic
This space for rent
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/11/2012 9:43:37 PM
You can check Rit's website too, they have color charts that tell you what dyes to mix to get various shades. Obviously you're going to have to factor in the original color, but they have recipes for a lot of variations.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson