Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2012 4:14:35 PM EDT
In the past I've always used 3 point slings. It's time to upgrade and I need some suggestions.

Also, where on an AR are your preferred attachment points and why(receiver end plate vs. stock etc.)?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Viking Tactics two point from LaRue Tactical that comes with the QD attachments already attached to the padded sling.   It is very comfortable and works great.   I run SOPMOD and Magpul CTR stocks on all my rifles, so I attach one QD swivel to the rear stock QD hole, and one to the frame just in front of the quad rail using QD connectors.   Works great and gives me a common setup on all rifles.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Blue Force gear VCAS. I love it.

I'm running a VTAC sling at work now but only because that's what was on the gun and I'm being cheap and lazy about getting another VCAS.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
VTAC
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Blue Force Gear VCAS
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I use the Viking Tactics two point from LaRue Tactical that comes with the QD attachments already attached to the padded sling.   It is very comfortable and works great.   I run SOPMOD and Magpul CTR stocks on all my rifles, so I attach one QD swivel to the rear stock QD hole, and one to the frame just in front of the quad rail using QD connectors.   Works great and gives me a common setup on all rifles.  

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/p1011831.jpg

This is my only 2 point sling and so far I like it.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Blue Force Gear VCAS

this

I've tried pretty much all the most popular slings and the padded VCAS sling is by far my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
GS-2P from Gearsector, run them on all my AR's
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Made my own from an old GI web sling, a heavy duty zip tie, and some 550 cord.  I'm surprisingly happy with it.  

Attaches at the front of the receiver and the rear of the buttstock.

That being said, I'm itching to try a VTAC.

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Blue Force Gear VCAS.  I run them on all my AR's and AK's.  I prefer the rear attachment at the end plate.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
2 point GearSector and BlueForceGear VCAS and Viking Tactics owner here.  Between the GearSector and BFG VCAS, I cannot declare a favorite.  They both are wonderful, with the GearSector being softer on my skin, for those occasional bumps in the night when I might be lured out of my bed, nekkid.

As for the Viking Tactics, I have one from 5.11 but I haven't really been able to put it to the test, although just from fumbling around with it I can say that it will come in a definite last place in my opinion.

ETA:  I have them all set up with quick detach swivels and limited rotation female swivel mounts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]
cut-up ALICE pack strap with 1" oxford weave nylon costs about $13... even with tri-glides you can find at any backpacking store
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/pd_bds_tactical_dual_sling.cfm

This

If you need a padded sling to hold up 10lbs, its time to get out of the recliner.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Blue Force Gear Padded VCAS.  Just bought my second one from SKD, and a third will definitely make it's way to me eventually.  I've tried various off brand two point slings as well as the MS2 and MS3 single points (which I ran as two points nearly all of the time anyway) before finally giving the VCAS a try.  Very glad I did.

As for the comment about needing to get off the couch if you run a padded sling...comfort is definitely superior with a padded sling vs non padded, especially after several hours.  For the few dollars extra it costs, I see it as an easy choice.  This is coming from someone who gets under a (non-padded) 6-700lb squat bar every week
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Been using the VTAC sling for the last 3 years on my rifle and was fairly happy with it, but for this deployment I switched over to the the Blue Force Gear Padded VCAS and couldn't be happier. Already planning on adding a VCAS to my personal Carbine when I get back to the states.

My advice try out a couple slings and see which one meets your needs better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This

If you need a padded sling to hold up 10lbs, its time to get out of the recliner.

You think that a padded sling is needed for weight issues? No. It's for comfort. Go on a deployment wih a non-padded sling, then try a padded sling and get back to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

You think that a padded sling is needed for weight issues? No. It's for comfort. Go on a deployment wih a non-padded sling, then try a padded sling and get back to me.

i definitely don't feel padding with body armor on.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I don't run any kind of neck armor and my sling tends to work it's way up to my neck after a while. After about the tenth time of positioning it back down around my vest I usually give up. Padded helps but I prefer without.

Maybe I should just put the neck armor on there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This

As another user pointed out, it would run up to your neck multiple times throughout the day. Additionally, when dropping armor, it was much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Padded VTAC on my LRP-07 308 and most other rifles I have.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Made my own from an old GI web sling, a heavy duty zip tie, and some 550 cord.  I'm surprisingly happy with it.  

Like this???

I made mine with cargo-chute cord and an old GI sling. Definitely low-tech but it works. Since the Israelis used whatever they had on hand at the time, it's not even all that inaccurate historically.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

As another user pointed out, it would run up to your neck multiple times throughout the day. Additionally, when dropping armor, it was much more comfortable.

i simply put my collar up, but it doesn't really even touch my collar that much.  i'm carrying at the ready position most of the time

and i figure that if i'm not wearing my armor, then it's ok for me to just carry a pistol

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this???

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/mms_picture2.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/mms_picture8.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/mms_picture13.jpg

I made mine with cargo-chute cord and an old GI sling. Definitely low-tech but it works. Since the Israelis used whatever they had on hand at the time, it's not even all that inaccurate historically.

I'll get pics up tonight.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I do not use anything but the BFG  VCAS

I got rid of all the three point and single point crap
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This

i simply put my collar up, but it doesn't really even touch my collar that much.  i'm carrying at the ready position most of the time

and i figure that if i'm not wearing my armor, then it's ok for me to just carry a pistol

Well, someone came up with a sling that doesn't nesseciate the "need" to put your collar up. So why hate on it? Everyone has different needs, and I know I wasn't always walking around "at the ready" on deployment. There are times it gets slung, and it's nice to have a little comfort in an otherwise uncomfortable as fuck situation.

I was originally replying to cetane, who, for some reason, thought that such slings were for people who sit in recliners, though I can't see why.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Blue Force Gear VCAS

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I wanted to add that I also have IWC Triglides on my slings.  1 1/4" on the VCAS and 1" on the GearSector.

I find that for being in the ready, I prefer single point and for hikin' or humpin' it, I prefer 2 point.  It takes a second or two to switch between both carry methods.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]
BFG QD VCAS
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Boonie Packer 2 point.  I checked them out when I saw that Ken Hackathorn recommends them.  Very good price, free shipping and they are nicely over engineered for strength.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, someone came up with a sling that doesn't nesseciate the "need" to put your collar up. So why hate on it? Everyone has different needs, and I know I wasn't always walking around "at the ready" on deployment. There are times it gets slung, and it's nice to have a little comfort in an otherwise uncomfortable as fuck situation.

I was originally replying to cetane, who, for some reason, thought that such slings were for people who sit in recliners, though I can't see why.

you're absolutely right, i should just stop talking.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top