Site Notices
8/29/2014 9:08:28 PM
Author
.45ACP Over 1 Million Served
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:05:14 PM
[Last Edit: 3/21/2012 11:21:53 PM by Billy_Dee]
Well guys, I got a good score from the Surplus store today. Its a Like new woodland Gore-Tex parka, for $45. (now that it's 80degrees here)

It's got a little muddy water residue on the front, but it's like brand new, not even slightly faded. Velcro closures are brand new looking.

I had a few questions for the experts though.....

First, it has pretty detailed instructions about washing that include some stuff I've never heard of. Like Natick Formula I, and Formula VIII of FM10-280,

Do I need these things to wash it properly? I don't want to mess up the repellent properties.

The other thing is, what are the snaps and velcro for near the visor (brim) of the hood?*EDIT* Figured this one out, it's for a fur ruff.

Any info appreciated.
You can fool some people sometimes......But, you can't fool all the people all the time
systemofadown
Food _ Water _Gear
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 7:47:01 AM
ah, you got a Gen 1. a detergent without color guard such as Charlie's soap should do fine. (that keeps your IR signature down - not really needed) dry in the shade. look for places inside the jacket where the gore-tex may be separating from the outter nylon shell (looks like bubbles) that is a bad sign & will not stop water from getting through. I'll post picks of what to look for when I get a chance If you like.....
"He who does not carry a Knife carries a Purse" (SPARTAN 6) 2 is 1 & 1 is none...............
Billy_Dee
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 1:36:17 PM
Originally Posted By systemofadown:
ah, you got a Gen 1. a detergent without color guard such as Charlie's soap should do fine. (that keeps your IR signature down - not really needed) dry in the shade. look for places inside the jacket where the gore-tex may be separating from the outter nylon shell (looks like bubbles) that is a bad sign & will not stop water from getting through. I'll post picks of what to look for when I get a chance If you like.....

Yeah, that'd be cool thanks.

Pretty cool coat so far. I just found the concealed map pockets a few minutes ago.

I've been waiting for the right deal on the right size for a long while. So I'm pretty happy.
You can fool some people sometimes......But, you can't fool all the people all the time
Billy_Dee
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 1:58:18 PM
[Last Edit: 3/22/2012 2:00:47 PM by Billy_Dee]
It's in real nice shape, it washed up awesome. Looks almost brand new.
I just used some woolite on the perm press, because that's what I had.

*EDIT* I forgot to add, I found the serviceman's card from when he was issued his M16A2, in the sleeve pocket. Pretty cool.

JRom
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2012 9:23:28 PM
sheesh i have like 8 of these I need to get rid of! I didnt know there was specific washing detials..
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 3:31:15 PM
[Last Edit: 3/23/2012 3:34:57 PM by raf]
Washing: Use Nikwax/McNett/Gore Gore-Tex detergent. Rinse a couple of times after washing. This removes traces of soap from breatheable fabric; excess soap left on the membrane will clog the pores of the material. Hang dry.

When 100% dry, spray with Durable Water Repellant available from above mfrs. This allows water to bead-up and roll off the coat, and also allows membrane to breathe. Without DWR, the coat will have a film of water on its surface, and membrane will not breathe. This is the RIGHT way to do it.

Gen I ECWCS coats had a known issue with the sewn-through seams leaking, particularly with, but not limited to, the seams alongside the zippers. Solution for this is to wash the coat, dry it, and then apply some SEAM-Sealer on the sewn-through stitching, inside and out. ONLY THEN apply DRW spray. Some sewn-through stitching will be covered inside by mfr-applied taping; you can ignore these stitched areas. Seam sealer available from camping goods vendors, such as REI, EMS, and Campmor. Water-based is probably the best for this application, as it is almost invisible when dry.

If you do as I have suggessted, you will be GTG.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
Billy_Dee
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 3:54:40 PM
Thanks for the info raf. Much appreciated.

I thought about treating it, but wasn't sure what to use. (I didn't think reg camp dry type stuff would be OK on this material)
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:59:23 PM
[Last Edit: 3/23/2012 5:28:23 PM by raf]

Originally Posted By Billy_Dee:

I thought about treating it, but wasn't sure what to use. (I didn't think reg camp dry type stuff would be OK on this material)

Using Camp-Dri or anything like it would be a mistake. My advice is basically what Gore says to do, and who would know better? The advice about using seam-sealer is based on an official document from Gore addressing shortcomings of the Gen I ECWCS that were discovered in the field. Apparently Gore neglected to tape some sewn-through seams, and problems developed as a result. Treating such non-taped stitch-throughs with seam-sealer, INSIDE and OUT, PRIOR to application of the DWR is a more-or-less permanent fix, and the seam sealer is cheap.

Trust me on this info. I have done it all myself on my Gen I ECWCS, and it works just fine as a result. Better than new, with the seam sealer and all.

My guess is that a sizeable majority of Gore-Tex owners/users do not know how to take careof their Gore-Tex, and a greater number of Gen I ECWCS owners are uaware of the fix for their coats.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
Billy_Dee
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:55:26 PM
Originally Posted By raf:

Originally Posted By Billy_Dee:

Using Camp-Dri or anything like it would be a mistake. My advice is basically what Gore says to do, and who would know better? The advice about using seam-sealer is based on an official document from Gore addressing shortcomings of the Gen I ECWCS that were discovered in the field. Apparently Gore neglected to tape some sewn-through seams, and problems developed as a result. Treating such non-taped stitch-throughs with seam-sealer, INSIDE and OUT, PRIOR to application of the DWR is a more-or-less permanent fix, and the seam sealer is cheap.

Trust me on this info. I have done it all myself on my Gen I ECWCS, and it works just fine as a result. Better than new, with the seam sealer and all.

My guess is that a sizeable majority of Gore-Tex owners/users do not know how to take careof their Gore-Tex, and a greater number of Gen I ECWCS owners are uaware of the fix for their coats.

Oh, I absolutely believe you, and fully intend to take your advice to the letter.

When I made the comment about Camp-Dry, I just meant that I didn't think it would be good on gore-tex.....and that's why I didn't use it.

Thanks again for the info.