Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2012 6:05:14 PM EDT
Well guys, I got a good score from the Surplus store today. Its a Like new woodland Gore-Tex parka, for $45. (now that it's 80degrees here)

It's got a little muddy water residue on the front, but it's like brand new, not even slightly faded. Velcro closures are brand new looking.

I had a few questions for the experts though.....

First, it has pretty detailed instructions about washing that include some stuff I've never heard of. Like Natick Formula I, and Formula VIII of FM10-280,

Do I need these things to wash it properly?  I don't want to mess up the repellent properties.

The other thing is, what are the snaps and velcro for near the visor (brim) of the hood?*EDIT* Figured this one out, it's for a fur ruff.

Any info appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
ah, you got a Gen 1.   a  detergent without color guard such as Charlie's soap should do fine. (that keeps your IR signature down - not really needed) dry in the shade.  look for places inside the jacket where the gore-tex may be separating from the outter nylon shell (looks like bubbles) that is a bad sign & will not stop water from getting through.   I'll post picks of what to look for when I get a chance If you like.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ah, you got a Gen 1.   a  detergent without color guard such as Charlie's soap should do fine. (that keeps your IR signature down - not really needed) dry in the shade.  look for places inside the jacket where the gore-tex may be separating from the outter nylon shell (looks like bubbles) that is a bad sign & will not stop water from getting through.   I'll post picks of what to look for when I get a chance If you like.....

Yeah, that'd be cool thanks.

Pretty cool coat so far. I just found the concealed map pockets a few minutes ago.

I've been waiting for the right deal on the right size for a long while. So I'm pretty happy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It's in real nice shape, it washed up awesome. Looks almost brand new.
I just used some woolite on the perm press, because that's what I had.

*EDIT* I forgot to add, I found the serviceman's card from when he was issued his M16A2, in the sleeve pocket. Pretty cool.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
sheesh i have like 8 of these I need to get rid of!  I didnt know there was specific washing detials..
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info raf. Much appreciated.

I thought about treating it, but wasn't sure what to use. (I didn't think reg camp dry type stuff would be OK on this material)
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the info raf. Much appreciated.

I thought about treating it, but wasn't sure what to use. (I didn't think reg camp dry type stuff would be OK on this material)

Using Camp-Dri or anything like it would be a mistake. My advice is basically what Gore says to do, and who would know better? The advice about using seam-sealer is based on an official document from Gore addressing shortcomings of the Gen I ECWCS that were discovered in the field. Apparently Gore neglected to tape some sewn-through seams, and problems developed as a result. Treating such non-taped stitch-throughs with seam-sealer, INSIDE and OUT, PRIOR to application of the DWR is a more-or-less permanent fix, and the seam sealer is cheap.

Trust me on this info. I have done it all myself on my Gen I ECWCS, and it works just fine as a result. Better than new, with the seam sealer and all.

My guess is that a sizeable majority of Gore-Tex owners/users do not know how to take careof their Gore-Tex, and a greater number of Gen I ECWCS owners are uaware of the fix for their coats.

Oh, I absolutely believe you, and fully intend to take your advice to the letter.

When I made the comment about Camp-Dry, I just meant that I didn't think it would be good on gore-tex.....and that's why I didn't use it.

Thanks again for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top