Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2012 10:18:48 PM EDT
I'm looking at the monsoon gearslinger as an EDC/ Get home bag. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this bag and if it was suitable for my needs. Suggestions for something similar are welcome. Every reveiw I've read on it has been good. I'm just looking for a little more info before i buy. Thank you very much.

This one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I had it in OD green (which looks awesome and not military at all).  I loved it.  It was my all time favorite bag.  The only issues I had were that some of the pockets being shapped triangle had wasted space and at least one was hard to get stuff out of, the strap started coming apart at the base and the shoulder strap even adjusted to the smallest size seemed a bit big and Im 6'2" 190lbs.  With a coat that wasnt an issue and overall it wasnt a big deal.  As for the coming apart, I used every single day to conceal carry at work and it didnt seem like it would fail, it was just coming apart.  Even still Maxpedition paid for shipping to do an exchange but shitty ass FedEx "lost" the package in their drop box and would cover the bag since it was never scanned in so I never got the exchange.  

Over all even with the issues, the second I have money Im buying it again.  The bag was super comfy, looked great, very very quick on and off, and drawing a pistol from the hidden compartment was as quick and easy and a small of the back holster, especially if you keep the zippers positioned right.

Also as far as space, it fit my older laptop, books, and lunch.  And on gym days my running shoes would take up most of the usable space but still fit in with clothes, water, some books or the laptop.

Honestly it would be a perfect E&E/get home bag.

ETA:  I found the pics I originally sent to Maxpedition for the exchange

Like I said in spite of the issue, Im in full support of the bag.  Usually if a bag fails then thats it for me but its just a really good design.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Fantastic bag, but if you pack it heavy, it'll kill ya, cause it only uses 1 shoulder (a week at Disney taught me that lesson)
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
just bought one from the EE, and trying now. It holds my 15" MacBookPro and a  day of clothes, note pads, and such. However, the concealed carry portion is awkwardly positioned, I'm still trying to get used to it. Its opening is on the wrong side it seems.

I wouldn't use it for more than 10 pounds of stuff. Enough for a day's MRE or two, some water bottles, and a small flat admin pouch. It also has a beaver tail for jackets and stuff when its cold. You can use the straps to lash others to your pack as well. The waist belt is helpful but hampers the "slinging" portion.

ETA pic

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
just bought one from the EE, and trying now. It holds my 15" MacBookPro and a  day of clothes, note pads, and such. However, the concealed carry portion is awkwardly positioned, I'm still trying to get used to it. Its opening is on the wrong side it seems.

I wouldn't use it for more than 10 pounds of stuff. Enough for a day's MRE or two, some water bottles, and a small flat admin pouch. It also has a beaver tail for jackets and stuff when its cold. You can use the straps to lash others to your pack as well. The waist belt is helpful but hampers the "slinging" portion.

ETA pic

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww316/kudzu630/photo-2.jpg

It took a couple different configurations but for me the draw was awesome.  I had the holster canted inside so that the grip side was pointed toward the zipper and the barrel was parallel to my waist.  Also the zipper was all the way at the bottom so all I had to do was reach back like a small of the back holster.  It was so natural that a few times I had my hand on the gun ready to pull without the suspicious person knowing what I was doing for sure.  If your left handed it could be an issue but they do have a left handed bag.  If not try what I did with the holster and zipper.  Ill look to see if I have any pics of that but Im not thinking so.

As for the weight I figured that out after using it to hike for about 5hrs.  Its very comfortable and distributes the weight surprisingly well but around hour 4 or 5 I was feeling it a bit.  But I did have around 30lbs or so in it maybe more.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
So are talking bout a cross body draw and not same side?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, I drew it strong side, small of the back, with the pack still on my back.  

How are you drawing it from the bag?

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I drew it strong side, small of the back, with the pack still on my back.  

How are you drawing it from the bag?

I haven't tried it yet except to figure out how to get to it. I see what you did though, I'm going to give it a try
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I was going to replace my stolen black one in another color but maxpeitions web site shows OD grren almost neon it appears, How bright is the OD color? I was wanting to go OD but was looking at the foliage green to also turn down the Military look,
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one and I agree on the wasted space, also just awkward to carry. With any of the one strap packs I find that it is really easy to overload them in a hurry. I have a sitka now that I use but I would not want to carry any weight in it. It is mainly for those items that want to have with me as I go car to car. I usually keep. Falcon 2 in the trunk that has more of a jump bag.  Never had an issue with the quality of Maxpedition, if anything it takes them almost too long to break in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was going to replace my stolen black one in another color but maxpeitions web site shows OD grren almost neon it appears, How bright is the OD color? I was wanting to go OD but was looking at the foliage green to also turn down the Military look,
Thanks

It actually doesnt look neon green at all but not military either.  It actually looks really good with the black parts.  I used it in an office and no one asked me the usual questions about being in the military that I get with my other bags.  But it not so "untactical" that I felt like a hippie.  Basically it looks good lol  I really miss it especially that color.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have  sitka which is little smaller than that bag.  my edc load is about 13 lbs, little more with full naglene.  it is a wonderful bag, but get something with two straps if you intend to carry for extended periods of time.  I cannot wear the sitka for more than an hour and a half before my shoulder and neck are screaming.  If i am just bumming around town and the bag lives on the seat next to me for the most part then its cool, but if you plan on carrying a lot...look at two straps...

no disrespect to maxpedition gear. i have a bunch of it and it is all good sh*t.  just don't like the functionality of the single strap design.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok ordered one today in foliage green since i will be carrying to the gym, range, work,daily stuff things, what pouches and other gear you guys add to your monsoons? I bought the universal holster for the ccw pocket but wasn't to thrilled with there elastic mag holders any helpful info would be appreciated
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I threw an MSM/TT Admin pouch on the outer flap because it made it easier for me to grab pens, and note book. The thinking is that I'm using this as my FOBBIT bag for computer, camera, phone, gym, and pistol while on the base. I have an assault pack for heavier lifting and more military look.

The Monsoon is growing on me and I'll find out more in a few days as I fly in country with it so I'll report back with how it works for me.

I will say the foliage green is attractive, I like it more than I like other colors. Its unique enough to be a "fashion" and not scream tactical all in one. My pouch my detract from that but I can sacrifice that.

ETA: Pouches, if you really want to add a pouch for your phone go ahead but i don't see the need. The belts ride high (as you adjust it) enough to where I can dig in my pocket. Plus if I have to ditch this bag I want to make sure I have my phone and I'm likely to forget its in a pouch.

headphone port it useful if you have a radio or us your MP3. The hydration pocket is another issue. I haven't played with it but again I don't foresee myself using it as you have a mesh pocket for water bottles and such. If you're going on a hike where you want a water bladder, pick another bag. Others have testified to the durability of this thing not being great over long distances with weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top