Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2011 3:41:34 AM EDT
I've been trying to determine what the differences are between a rigger's belt and a duty belt, in the context of being used with a war belt.

Beyond the apparent differences:
- Duty belts have velcro on the outside, rigger's belt doesn't
- Duty belts have plastic buckles, rigger's belt have steel or aluminum buckles.
- Rigger's belts are made from higher strength material than duty belts, or at least as far as I can tell.

Am I missing anything else? What about the rigidity of the material in terms of flexing (top to bottom) when under load from pouches, holster, etc?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Aren't rigger's beltorals for emergency repelling and other HDLS couch commando activities?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Riggers belts have Velcro on the outside to secure the end  of the belt in use.   I would use a belt with a 2 inch lock monster buckle (ITW or another USA maker) for use in a war belt.   ETA  very much like the one on the crye Blast belt
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Rigger's belt generally are 2 layers of 1.75" Type 7-13 webbing. Sewn together most commonly with 5 rows of stitching. Having a metal buckle and with a d-ring. Velcro to support the excess tail. Originally produced back in the day by rigger's from the A7A cargo strap and a six-pack of beer to the rigger to sew it together.
Duty belt, 2-2.25" single ply webbing generally out of Polypropylene or nylon based Scuba webbing with a Plastic buckle.

Gene @ HSGI
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Duty belts are generally much stiffer than rigger belts and are less prone to rolling over when weight is applied.

I tend to look at the two this way:

The rigger's belt is used to hold up your pants. The duty belt is used to carry your gear.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Duty belts are generally much stiffer than rigger belts and are less prone to rolling over when weight is applied.

I tend to look at the two this way: The rigger's belt is used to hold up your pants. The duty belt is used to carry your gear.
Bingo! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
sorry, was in a rush this morning.   just an idea  skip the riggers & duty belt  & pick up a war belt (eagle or blackhawk)  many more mounting options than a standard belt....    war belt below riggers belt   big difference..
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry, I should have given context for my inquiry but I'm updating my gear, part of which involves getting a war belt (ATS looks like the one) for which I need an inner belt (a duty belt). I thought I read some posts in which people were using riggers belts inside their war belts but I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]
You can use a rigger's belt inside the ATS just fine, except that it's rather more inconvenient given the way a traditional rigger's belt fastens. If you get a rigger's belt with a cobra buckle, it makes for a great base.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
While it will boil down to personal preference; I find duty belts to be a better choice for use with war  belts if you are attaching items to the inner belt
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I will be attaching a 6004 w/UBL to the duty belt which is why I'm going that route and why I'm getting the ATS belt.

I'm 100% on-board with "use what works for you" but only problem, I have no place local I can see any of this stuff so I just need to do some pre-purchase research to make sure I'm going to get something that at least works.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to look at the two this way: The rigger's belt is used to hold up your pants. The duty belt is used to carry your gear.
Bingo! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you.

Exactly this.  Basically think of carrying gear on your waist as needing a two-belt system.  Either a diggers belt under and a duty belt over with gear attached to the rigger with keepers, or a duty belt inside a war belt to stiffen it.  War belts are basically an evolution of the rigger/duty belt combo that cops use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top