RG setup with Hesco 3810’s
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
RG setup with Hesco 3810’s
https://i.imgur.com/oNv8gmN.jpg
View Quote

I've been curious about this for a while - why the covered pouches? I can't personally think of any advantage they'd really offer over Kywis/MP2s/Scorpions or other such, they just seem slower and more easily fumbled. But, I'm fairly new to putting stuff anywhere other than a belt or pocket and I keep seeing them in use/production by people that know a lot more than I do. What am I missing?

I will say though - that's a very good looking setup. If aesthetics are all there is to it, then I'm entirely on board.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:

I've been curious about this for a while - why the covered pouches? I can't personally think of any advantage they'd really offer over Kywis/MP2s/Scorpions or other such, they just seem slower and more easily fumbled. But, I'm fairly new to putting stuff anywhere other than a belt or pocket and I keep seeing them in use/production by people that know a lot more than I do. What am I missing?

I will say though - that's a very good looking setup. If aesthetics are all there is to it, then I'm entirely on board.
View Quote

You are missing nothing, closed pouches like this are slower in this setup. The only pluses are that it adds a layer of protection and retention.  With GI mags you can tuck them in the pouch and then they act like the pouched you are mentioning just a tad more cumbersome.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Flaps/bungees can give you a little more peace of mind if you expect to skydive/waterdive/run through the woods with your gear on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#5]
Love your gear setup and boom stick @-KentuckyWindage- and I agree about the AVS M4 flap pouches. I have the same carrier and flap and keep switching back-and-forth between that and the standard triple M4 open top flap. Can't decide which to commit to. I love the aesthetics of the closed top pouches--they're classic looking. But yeah, no ability to attach anything to that whole area of the carrier and they're clunky to get mags in and out of--especially if you don't run Magpul ranger plates to facilitate removal.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Love your gear setup and boom stick @-KentuckyWindage- and I agree about the AVS M4 flap pouches. I have the same carrier and flap and keep switching back-and-forth between that and the standard triple M4 open top flap. Can't decide which to commit to. I love the aesthetics of the closed top pouches--they're classic looking. But yeah, no ability to attach anything to that whole area of the carrier and they're clunky to get mags in and out of--especially if you don't run Magpul ranger plates to facilitate removal.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50910395317_6d4a01655a_b.jpg
View Quote

nice rig, SPC are great Kit!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:32:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The battle belt is something I didn't do for a simple reason - I will be donning this as emergency equipment and most likely wouldn't have time. So if I throw this over my civvies, (my work vest doesn't allow for a battle belt as handguns aren't allowed where I work), then my sidearm, spare mags and more medical supplies are already on me. Speaking of, I have to say there is SOME Condor gear that apparently ain't that bad. This is a Condor Admin Pouch I converted to a cell phone holder many months ago, and kept adding stuff to it like Combat gauze, Kerlix roll, tools, etc., until it started looking like a 80s gym bag. However, it is always there, meaning any time I am not actually inside the wire I have that on, so a battle belt would really be useless. If I was street LE or current military/militia, I could certainly see the usefulness, but I am way to old and fat for either or those!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Group shot
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
6094A at a TCCC class a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sconnieVLP:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338594/4007411C-EA03-4E89-A34D-42387691EC4A-1863343.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

It’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever been issued. I’m dealing with radios and writing stuff down/marking on my airspace charts and it’s great being able to get by wearing light or no gloves so I have dexterity to write without having to take heavy gloves on and off.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tnmnmnan] [#13]
One of my favorite pieces of gear also.  Very functional, I use mine for lots of outdoor activities.  I don’t really like gloves for shooting and they do an awesome job keeping your hands nice and warm in between rounds.  They also can double as a dump pouch if needed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Yes... you should. Sincerely - Arctic Airborne infantry dude lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Group shot
https://i.imgur.com/NBlROwb.jpg
View Quote

what carrier is that on the right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jgreen2193:

what carrier is that on the right?
View Quote

Ferro Concepts FCPC V5
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Phildo:
Scored a spiritus lv119 overt front, covert rear, and elastic cummerbund off the EE last week... and surprisingly enough the hesco 3810s showed up the next day.  This is fate.  Had nothing to put on it but my old patch.  That’ll change soon.  Can’t believe how comfortable this PC and the plates are.  This plate carrier was made for these plates I feel.

https://i.imgur.com/k464SPT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uQBNs3u.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fZlBcJT.jpg
View Quote

getting the same thing !
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone here run a FS Strandhögg? Considering going with it for a second, more overt PC. Like the idea of having basically no velcro as my duty carrier is already falling apart at the velcro and my current personal one is ok at best.

Got a HSP D3 micro rig in the mail that will attach to it via an AXL adapter if I go with the FS.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PBWalsh:
Anyone here run a FS Strandhögg? Considering going with it for a second, more overt PC. Like the idea of having basically no velcro as my duty carrier is already falling apart at the velcro and my current personal one is ok at best.

Got a HSP D3 micro rig in the mail that will attach to it via an AXL adapter if I go with the FS.

Thanks
View Quote

Used to, got one in 2015. As a vest though it did the job. The QD shoulders were kinda nice, especially back then when nobody else was really doing it.
I just didn't need all the coverage that it offered, which is its big selling point in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:

Used to, got one in 2015. As a vest though it did the job. The QD shoulders were kinda nice, especially back then when nobody else was really doing it.
I just didn't need all the coverage that it offered, which is its big selling point in my opinion.
View Quote

What do you mean by more coverage? Like side plates? I plan on throwing in my Hesco L210s and maybe some side plates.

Heck my original thought was to run a minimalist PC until I tried on a co-workers PC that had mesh padding. That was very comfortable and convinced me to go with a bit more bulk for comfort.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PBWalsh:

What do you mean by more coverage? Like side plates? I plan on throwing in my Hesco L210s and maybe some side plates.

Heck my original thought was to run a minimalist PC until I tried on a co-workers PC that had mesh padding. That was very comfortable and convinced me to go with a bit more bulk for comfort.
View Quote

It's bulky enough that it would get hot fast, and trap heat on long walks. I'm only required to wear 6x6 side plates a small portion of the year, slick otherwise, so I prefer skeletal bands.
There's nothing wrong with it, I just found other vests that fit my needs a little better. I used to do tacmed coverage for a local PD and their guys had a mix of these or some other FS vest, seemed cool with em.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Group photo with the new lid:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A bit of an updated pc set up, been running the mk4 in this configuration for a few months but just recently jumped from a slickster to the FCPC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GSDAK47:
A bit of an updated pc set up, been running the mk4 in this configuration for a few months but just recently jumped from a slickster to the FCPC.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283977/341A5240-2A3A-42D5-B8CB-34719B14B55B_jpe-1868059.JPG
View Quote

Nice rig
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sconnieVLP:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338594/4007411C-EA03-4E89-A34D-42387691EC4A-1863343.jpg
View Quote

How to you like the 6094A ? I have a JPC 1.0 and want to set up another rig, but no medium multicams available anywhere. I  know LBT has a sale on that includes the 6.94A and patch for $289.99. Don't know much about LBT, but will be researching them. Need to know if they are a sapi size, 10x12 or what.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Nice rig
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283977/341A5240-2A3A-42D5-B8CB-34719B14B55B_jpe-1868059.JPG

Nice rig
chair is pretty kickass too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

DAT WOODLAND
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sconnieVLP] [#28]
Originally Posted By CZ75Joe:

How to you like the 6094A ? I have a JPC 1.0 and want to set up another rig, but no medium multicams available anywhere. I  know LBT has a sale on that includes the 6.94A and patch for $289.99. Don't know much about LBT, but will be researching them. Need to know if they are a sapi size, 10x12 or what.
View Quote

I’m a fan. That PC has been all over the place, and it just works. LBT makes really solid stuff, I have quite a bit of stuff from them. 6094 is about as tried and true as it gets. I got issued a JPC and while it’s nice I have found the 6094 to be a little more comfortable for me.

They are SAPI sized. A is the medium, B is the large, C is the XL.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I can’t see your carrier because I’ve been blinded by that chair!
Good God man!!

ZA
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I got these chairs in the divorce!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone using the Warrior Assault System DCS releasable plate carriers?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Digging the God's plaid!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to route all the wires and keep them out of the way--while still making it easy to don/doff my plate carrier.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50977484203_765cac648b_c.jpg
View Quote

The Disco32 Kenwood short wired version of their PTT is that which you seek. I bought one months back and it’s a game changer. No more have to one wrap excess cord.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

The Disco32 Kenwood short wired version of their PTT is that which you seek. I bought one months back and it’s a game changer. No more have to one wrap excess cord.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip! I’m assuming this is what I need in “short,” correct?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:08:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Real] [#35]
Group shot
https://i.imgur.com/NBlROwb.jpg
View Quote

@-KentuckyWindage-

Nice kit. What holster is that? Brand and model. The green one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By M4Real:

@-KentuckyWindage-

Nice kit. What holster is that? Brand and model. The green one.
View Quote

Thank you! It’s a Safariland 6354DO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CZ75Joe:

View Quote

The 6094A is what was (probably still often is) issued to SEALs. Basically one of the gold standards in plate carriers. Lacking on "modern" features, but built like a tank and is the very definition of combat proven.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#38]
This is my very first plate carrier, chest rig or anything like that build. Was a fun Covid/home during the early days of my first child project. Have walked a mile in it, larped in the garage, hoping to get a chance to run and gun at the range soon.

- Crye JPC 1.0 medium
- Hudi's Tactical III+ ceramic/PE 10" x 12" single curve plates (4.6lbs each)
- LBX blowout kit
- Mil-spec Monkey/Tactical Tailor shears/TQ pouch
- Mil-spec Monkey/Tactical Tailor admin pouch/patch panel
- Condor dual pistol mag pouch (actual really good for a Condor thing)
- Esstac Kywi mid-height mag pouch

I would consider going a bit more minimalistic in the future (TQ and shears in one of the kangaroo pouches, pistol mags in another and removing some of the cummerbund stuff) but for now I'm digging it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QuickReactions] [#39]
For a first ever build, that's honestly pretty good. I would however recommend moving that TQ you've got up front, because if you ever have to prone out, you won't be happy with what happens to it. If you do it a lot it won't be long until it's unusable. I would recommend putting it in a pouch elsewhere. If you're tall enough to wear a gun belt in conjunction with that JPC (most are), then that's where I would tell you to move it along with your pistol mags.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I would recommend moving everything off the strong side of the cummerbund. The LBT 9022 is bulky and will interfere with your draw stroke.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By QuickReactions:
For a first ever build, that's honestly pretty good. I would however recommend moving that TQ you've got up front, because if you ever have to prone out, you won't be happy with what happens to it. If you do it a lot it won't be long until it's unusable. I would recommend putting it in a pouch elsewhere. If you're tall enough to wear a gun belt in conjunction with that JPC (most are), then that's where I would tell you to move it along with your pistol mags.
View Quote

I counter that-personally I would leave 1 pistol mag on the bund.

I've found drawing from the carrier is much easier when shooting from weird kneeling/prone/barrier positions. Think weird cover to return fire. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#42]
4401SH Level IV for 120 at BAO.  Worth it until I find a plate carrier?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By QuickReactions:
View Quote

Yep. Assuming a belt is being- or will be- used in conjunction with the PC, put the pistol mags and med kit on the belt, and move the horizontal TQ to a pouch right in front of the support-side AR mag (or move that mag to a belt as well).
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

What's the purpose of the Orion patch?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone help? I'm having a hard time deciding on a belt.. It will be used as a "Battle" belt (holster, mag pouches, etc) i'm currently looking at the:

-BFG CHLK
or
-Ferro Bison
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#46]
My new work carrier, a Velocity Systems Scarab SC7. I have a JPC 2.0 but I wanted something that blended in a bit better in a conventional army unit. The extra padding is pretty nice too.

The SC7 is a Scarab LE front panel, LT back panel, LT cummerbund with quarter flaps. I really like the side entry flaps, there is no front flap which means its lighter and I don't have to lift a flap covered in mags to get in and out of the carrier. The shoulder straps are fairly narrow similar to my mayflower APC, but do pivot outward more due to the d-ring attachments. The shoulder pads are awesomely soft.

I added an esstac midlength triple mag panel up front and a spiritus systems elastic kangaroo insert behind it for scalability from 3 to 6 magazines. The right side of the cummerbund has a USGI tourniquet pouch. The left side has a USGI IFAK, tactical tailor nalgene pouch, and a benchmade SOCP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DeputySteel:
Can anyone help? I'm having a hard time deciding on a belt.. It will be used as a "Battle" belt (holster, mag pouches, etc) i'm currently looking at the:

-BFG CHLK
or
-Ferro Bison
View Quote

Ferro
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:28:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:
My new work carrier, a Velocity Systems Scarab SC7. I have a JPC 2.0 but I wanted something that blended in a bit better in a conventional army unit. The extra padding is pretty nice too.

The SC7 is a Scarab LE front panel, LT back panel, LT cummerbund with quarter flaps. I really like the side entry flaps, there is no front flap which means its lighter and I don't have to lift a flap covered in mags to get in and out of the carrier. The shoulder straps are fairly narrow similar to my mayflower APC, but do pivot outward more due to the d-ring attachments. The shoulder pads are awesomely soft.

I added an esstac midlength triple mag panel up front and a spiritus systems elastic kangaroo insert behind it for scalability from 3 to 6 magazines. The right side of the cummerbund has a USGI tourniquet pouch. The left side has a USGI IFAK, tactical tailor nalgene pouch, and a benchmade SOCP.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276110/20210326_203027_LI__2__jpg-1881402.JPG
View Quote

Maybe it's just a 2ID thing or maybe a sign of the times(2012ish) but it still throws me off seeing captains without a dozen admin pouches on their vest. I swear every O1-O3 I worked with/around back then couldn't resist putting a pouch for notebooks, maps, eyepro case, map markers, smart cards, etc all up front. Ammo, water, IFAK all being a distant afterthought.
I like the KISS layout, I only wish I personally  accepted it sooner.

Originally Posted By stoner01:

Ferro
View Quote

This, between the two if you're not clipping into platforms regularly the bison should meet your needs just fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:35:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Just got a FS Strandhögg in and am having some slight issues shouldering my rifle in my normal spot between the deltoid and pec muscles. I attribute this to the tubes on the shoulder pads.

Has anyone found a good work around to this? I’m really liking the carrier compared to my older one (Blue Force Gear plateminus) but the shoulder tubes is kinda annoying.

For anyone wondering, the tubed cummerbund system is fantastic. The shoulder tubes are just annoying.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top