That settles the 9mm, .40, .45 debate for a sidearm
40mm for the win
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
crye jpc

ifak is on the belt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#4]
I just switched from the SKD PIG to a Crye JPC 2.0 (thanks @rescuegunner) and figured I could do a quick writeup while im drinking beer and watching TV so anyone in a similar boat has a little info to start with.

First off, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my PIG.  I love that PC, but after 3 deployments with it, I think this next trip needed a new piece of gear.  It still looks good, albeit a bit gross, but everything has held up just fine.  I figured I would roll the dice and try something new, and maybe a few things would work out better that way.  I still have the PIG is I just cant make the JPC work, or if it just cant match what I got out of the SKD.

In direct comparison, both are pretty low profile carriers, but not too low that they cant carry a combat load. The JPC seems slightly smaller, and the skeleton cummerbund definitely makes it look much more so.  With that said they are extremely comparable with regard to function and utility.  Ive used the AVS and Tactical Tailor RPC in combat before, and I think these two are the best out of the four I have experience with.

Here are my notes on differences so far:

- PIG shoulder straps are much better padded, the JPC thin straps seem to slide around a bit.  May swap those out for some thicker ones.
- PIG has velcro molle all the way up the chest, which was convenient for adding things like a chest strap a little more easily.
- PIG sideplate carriers affix via velcro and can be pulled on and off easily, JPC only offers sideplate carriers for 6x6 plates, not standard Army 7x9, had to go with the SKD molle carrier and molle them in, which was a huge PITA and not easy to remove on the fly, which I liked with my PIG
- PIG has a double cummerbund flap which makes it easy to secure one side and use one to don/doff
- JPC has a chest admin pocket, has internal elastic loops and a generous space for GRG's and smart cards
- JPC front flap is removeable and modular, using either the crye panels or standard swiftclip panels, has two sets of loops to attach clips either by a hanging clip or mounted lower with a QASM connector
- JPC 2.0 has an emergency doffing capability
- JPC has a zip on back panel capability, which im actually finding is pretty cool
- JPC has slightly smaller profile than PIG, which can be good or bad depending on your needs.  It barely fills my requirements, but definitely works, I have a bit of stuff I need to have mounted.
- JPC seems a lot more breathable

Ive only gotten the JPC out for one training event so far, so im sure ill be tweaking it a bit more, and ill be sure to update the post if I do.  I really do like it so far.

JPC 2.0

SKD PIG

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Side plates are for pussies.

You can get rid of that remote antennae mount and just run the antennae up through the molle loops to get the profile a little lower. It's a bitch to get it up through there and definitely isn't going anywhere.
These aren't the most comfortable thing in the world, but again, they'll lower the overall profile of your shit. Also not the best if you're that guy that always has commo problems.
You can also rubber band those tourniquets under those front mags. Might interfere with your fag pouch, though. But lower profile.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wag_bag:
Side plates are for pussies.
View Quote
I always start out with them, but after a mission or two that ends up way too heavy, they tend to find their way back into my duffel bag.  It's going to be a real headache to get these off, so I may be more inclined to leave them on....or take them off once and never put them back on at all...

The antenna thing varies with me too, I used to just run the short blade through the molle like you suggested, but I carry an extra long whip in my pack and the mast mount makes it easier to swap out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Just giving you shit.

You know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Velocity Systems Slick Carrier w/ triple insert & HSGI Blowout
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OperatorX] [#10]
Mine and the lady's plate carrier set-ups.

Crye JPC and Ferro Concepts Slickster.

Level III lightweight plates in each.

Buddy the Boston Terrier because he wanted to be included.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OperatorX:
Mine and the lady's plate carrier set-ups.

Crye JPC and Ferro Concepts Slickster.

Level III lightweight plates in each.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/358471/image-290402.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/358471/image-290400.jpg

Buddy the Boston Terrier because he wanted to be included.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/358471/image-290401.jpg
View Quote
Hook your boy up
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
lol.  no. 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I lot of people have Bostons.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CT-Shooter] [#14]
Muh JPC

How are you guys who have comms routing your push to talk cables? under the front flap? around your back? over the shoulder?

Peltor only makes the stupid ass curly pig-tail type cables on their push to talks, this makes the cable 1/2" diameter instead of a nice compact wire. Routing these is a pain in the ass, wondering if anybody has come up with any ingenious ideas???
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey @AS556 - what plate carrier is that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CT-Shooter:

Peltor only makes the stupid ass curly pig-tail type cables on their push to talks, this makes the cable 1/2" diameter instead of a nice compact wire.
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Hey @AS556 - what plate carrier is that?

Thanks!
View Quote
Its a Shellback Banshee, pretty good PC for the money IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AS556:

Its a Shellback Banshee, pretty good PC for the money IMO.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently pieced this together from TAGs clearance section for about $50. Not a PC but I'm liking it so far.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

This is what I got.

http://i.imgur.com/8v7Tdjd.jpg
View Quote
Whats that's on your hip  And the red thins above it are those flares?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:37:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
M320 grenade launcher in a holster

They look like IR chemlights
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Whats that's on your hip  And the red thins above it are those flares?
M320 grenade launcher in a holster

They look like IR chemlights
Thanks,
Guess he didn't trust the 320?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I just switched from the SKD PIG to a Crye JPC 2.0 (thanks @rescuegunner) and figured I could do a quick writeup while im drinking beer and watching TV so anyone in a similar boat has a little info to start with.

First off, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my PIG.  I love that PC, but after 3 deployments with it, I think this next trip needed a new piece of gear.  It still looks good, albeit a bit gross, but everything has held up just fine.  I figured I would roll the dice and try something new, and maybe a few things would work out better that way.  I still have the PIG is I just cant make the JPC work, or if it just cant match what I got out of the SKD.

In direct comparison, both are pretty low profile carriers, but not too low that they cant carry a combat load. The JPC seems slightly smaller, and the skeleton cummerbund definitely makes it look much more so.  With that said they are extremely comparable with regard to function and utility.  Ive used the AVS and Tactical Tailor RPC in combat before, and I think these two are the best out of the four I have experience with.

Here are my notes on differences so far:

- PIG shoulder straps are much better padded, the JPC thin straps seem to slide around a bit.  May swap those out for some thicker ones.
- PIG has velcro molle all the way up the chest, which was convenient for adding things like a chest strap a little more easily.
- PIG sideplate carriers affix via velcro and can be pulled on and off easily, JPC only offers sideplate carriers for 6x6 plates, not standard Army 7x9, had to go with the SKD molle carrier and molle them in, which was a huge PITA and not easy to remove on the fly, which I liked with my PIG
- PIG has a double cummerbund flap which makes it easy to secure one side and use one to don/doff
- JPC has a chest admin pocket, has internal elastic loops and a generous space for GRG's and smart cards
- JPC front flap is removeable and modular, using either the crye panels or standard swiftclip panels, has two sets of loops to attach clips either by a hanging clip or mounted lower with a QASM connector
- JPC 2.0 has an emergency doffing capability
- JPC has a zip on back panel capability, which im actually finding is pretty cool
- JPC has slightly smaller profile than PIG, which can be good or bad depending on your needs.  It barely fills my requirements, but definitely works, I have a bit of stuff I need to have mounted.
- JPC seems a lot more breathable

Ive only gotten the JPC out for one training event so far, so im sure ill be tweaking it a bit more, and ill be sure to update the post if I do.  I really do like it so far.

JPC 2.0

http://i.imgur.com/bRI5KP7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7LIlO8o.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pGIp7i6.jpg

SKD PIG

http://i.imgur.com/VfLtRiA.jpg
View Quote
Try PIG BRIG MK1 shoulder pads. When you are loaded that heavy, they help even though they are thin and they fit over your shoulder sleeves perfectly. Also only $25 so if you don't like em not a big loss. Night and day difference on my JPC fir comfort.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Been looking at that, ive used the AVS but not the JPC, wondering if I carry too much shit for a JPC?  Crye is backordered forever for either one right now, they might not make it in time either way.
View Quote
Did you use the AVS with or without the harness?

I've got 2 with and 2 without for different situations since the harness isn't a quick take off.  One of each is 556 and one of each 762.   Like you, I've tried a number of different carriers until i landed on the AVS.  Clearly the harness ads bulk but more comfortable with extended use and added weight carriage.

Had to try 2 harness sizes before I landed on the Medium instead of the large to get the bulk down to an acceptable comfort to bulk ratio.  The meduim harness arms are about 2" from touching without side plates and 5" with side plates.  Still plenty stable.  The large arms overlapped with and without side plates which was bad.  Wide chest and thin waist meant mix and match bag and harness sizes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CT-Shooter:
Muh JPC

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/riceslayer302/20170825_120706_zps5cvwodwi.jpg

How are you guys who have comms routing your push to talk cables? under the front flap? around your back? over the shoulder?

Peltor only makes the stupid ass curly pig-tail type cables on their push to talks, this makes the cable 1/2" diameter instead of a nice compact wire. Routing these is a pain in the ass, wondering if anybody has come up with any ingenious ideas???
View Quote
They make straight wire too. Straight wire for runs not direct to radio or the round part tears the outter jacket. I run mine overy the shoulder, through the loop on shoulder, then own side of my hydration carrier.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD762] [#27]
Originally Posted By AS556:
I recently pieced this together from TAGs clearance section for about $50. Not a PC but I'm liking it so far.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/20170913_195452-307071.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/20170913_195424-307072.JPG
View Quote
While making up my mind on a PC, I've also wanted a micro rig of some sort. That rig from TAG is perfect and an awesome price. I wish I had known about it a month ago when I did a 5K 2 gun match - it would have been perfect.

Though when I opened the package, it felt like a tactical bra. It lifts and separates...tactically.

Attachment Attached File

But once I got my mag pouches on it was awesome. Way better than the hill people gear chest pack I pressed into service for the match.

Attachment Attached File

The only question I have is what is the Velcro flaps on the bottom for?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
It was designed to attach to the TAG Rogue Gunfighter MOAB Vest, it clips onto the vest ala swift-clips and then those flaps wrap up under the bottom edge of the vest to keep the molle platform from flopping around.

Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
It was designed to attach to the TAG Rogue Gunfighter MOAB Vest, it clips onto the vest ala swift-clips and then those flaps wrap up under the bottom edge of the vest to keep the molle platform from flopping around.

https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/1000x1000/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/8/3/830098.jpg

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_1659-440x586.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/1000x1000/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/8/3/830098.jpg

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_1659-440x586.jpg
Makes sense.

Is that your plate carrier?  What's your thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#30]

Makes sense.

Is that your plate carrier?  What's your thoughts on it?
View Quote
No just pics off the web.  Looking at it, it's pretty wide for a plate carrier, looks bulky and heavy, not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#31]

No just pics off the web.  Looking at it, it's pretty wide for a plate carrier, looks bulky and heavy, not my cup of tea.
View Quote
It looked a little on the bulky side, but I'm not an expert in this by any means.

I wonder if a Shellback Banshee could be rigged to take one of these TAG panels.

I do kind of like the idea of a micro rig doing double duty.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DevL:

They make straight wire too. Straight wire for runs not direct to radio or the round part tears the outter jacket. I run mine overy the shoulder, through the loop on shoulder, then own side of my hydration carrier.
View Quote
Mine are all straight, I've never seen a curly one except in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:33:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#34]

While making up my mind on a PC, I've also wanted a micro rig of some sort. That rig from TAG is perfect and an awesome price. I wish I had known about it a month ago when I did a 5K 2 gun match - it would have been perfect.

Though when I opened the package, it felt like a tactical bra. It lifts and separates...tactically.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/image-313761.JPG

But once I got my mag pouches on it was awesome. Way better than the hill people gear chest pack I pressed into service for the match.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/image-313763.JPG

View Quote
I usually wear chest rigs lower more as a belly rig. Its much more natural to draw mags with it down there and there's no reason with no armor to have it up over your vitals IMO.

The TAG micro rig I have has built in mag pouches. I have it tucked away with a IIIA vest for the inevitable ninja invasion of my home

Attachment Attached File

That $50 setup isnt a TAG micro btw, its a Rogue Gunfighter Octopus with a couple TAG pouches up front.  The base panel was only like $23.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a BFG chest rig setup like that, and I used to think lower is better. Then I started doing a lot more positional shooting, and found it was very uncomfortable if my knees ever went above parallel with the ground. Pinches my belly, and hits stuff on my belt. I keep it high now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD762] [#36]
Originally Posted By RustyBadger27:
I have a BFG chest rig setup like that, and I used to think lower is better. Then I started doing a lot more positional shooting, and found it was very uncomfortable if my knees ever went above parallel with the ground. Pinches my belly, and hits stuff on my belt. I keep it high now.
View Quote
I'm kinda new to the "tactical stuff" world, so I'm still learning.

But, this seems true for me too.

I did a 5K 2 gun match that included basic obstacles a few weeks ago & found that having it on the upper abs worked best for me. It was high enough to not get snagged as I negotiated obstacles & went prone but it was still low enough to access quickly.

The above pics were just after I got it. After getting use to it I'm sure it will get adjusted a bit lower.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:25:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#37]
I've taken a class with it down on my belly shooting from unconventional positions and it didn't bother me too much but could just be my body type.

None of these set ups have more than 6-8 hours of training time on them so always adjusting but across a handful of chest rigs I've found I like them a bit lower. The photo above the bottom of my rib cage is about where the Ranger tabs on the mags are. Definitely on upper abs vs lower belly.

I thought about wearing it higher and getting a IIIA panel to stick in the map pocket in back too.

My PC I do wear up higher typically in conjunction with a war belt with holster.  Chest rigs I usually just have the rig with a belt (my CCW belt) attached OWB pistol holster and a small backpack.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:04:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#38]
FS Strandhogg (fuckin' legit) + Level III plus plates + AVS M4 pouch

I think the Strandhogg is my favorite PC I've ever used. I've used the JPC, RBAV-SF, LBT 6094 but this feels almost like second skin and hugs you. Weight is not bad at all compared to the JPC - I think half a lb difference but packed with way more comfort and features.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Got a Ferro Slickster in today, it's comfy, we'll see how much abuse it can take.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Daemon, how's your MBITR treating you? I always forget that there are still plenty out there, even with how many 152s we've purchased.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Retired my Mayflower in favor of the Esstac Light ASS.

Night and day for comfort and weight.

https://www.esstac.com/product-page/daeodon-light-ass
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
Retired my Mayflower in favor of the Esstac Light ASS.

Night and day for comfort and weight.

https://image.ibb.co/n8kDgR/IMG_1460.jpg

https://www.esstac.com/product-page/daeodon-light-ass
View Quote
Nicely done!

cp
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#43]
What carrier is Johnny Magpul wearing in this video?  

LINKY
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RuKuS:
What carrier is Johnny Magpul wearing in this video?  

LINKY
View Quote
Crye JPC.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I think the Strandhogg is my favorite PC I've ever used. I've used the JPC, RBAV-SF, LBT 6094 but this feels almost like second skin and hugs you. Weight is not bad at all compared to the JPC - I think half a lb difference but packed with way more comfort and features.

https://i.imgur.com/Nk4wTcs.png?1
View Quote
i was just about sold on getting the JPC, but then i saw this thing and having all sorts of doubts
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

https://i.imgur.com/Nk4wTcs.png?1
View Quote
Looks great, I was thinking JPC as well and this has my attention...what plate vendor did you buy the Lvl III+ plates from?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Loving my new kit so far. I've had my PC for about a month now here in Afghanistan. Just heard the Marines are about to receive a new PC with the STT system. I happy for them because I absolutely love the tubes.

- First Spear STT SKD Exclusive PC
- G-Code Scorpion Soft shell rifle mag pouches
- G-Code Scorpion Soft shell pistol mag pouches
- G-Code Operators belt with outer cordura wrap option
- G-Code OSH Glock 17/22 kydex Holster
- Rear Mini trauma kit with Combat gauze, pneumothorax needle, wrap etc. (Pouch is off brand amazon)
- Admin Pouch is a cheap condor ma39 but it works awesome for my setup

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:24:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Is that an avs without the harness on the right?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top