around 1997.  It has seen a fair amount of use since then.  Also
included are a pouch in 'Flat Dark Earth' from 5.11 Tactical,  Condor
Tactical mag pouches in 'OD Green' and 'Tan', a USGI dual 40mm MOLLE
grenade pouch in 'Woodland', USGI ALICE magazine pouch,  and a USGI
'Improved First Aid Pouch' in 'ACU digital'.  All of the above, with the
exception of the ALICE pack are new.  
As familiar 'control' items for comparison purposes, I included a sheet
of white printer paper, a new USGI 30round AR magazine, and ammo boxes
from Black Hills, Remington, and Federal.
The conditions were hazy, but there was some variation between sunny and
more cloudy.  All told, I took these pics over maybe 15 minutes, but
there was some variation in the level of ambient sunlight (Western NY
State in early April ).  There was no flash used, and the camera is a Canon PowerShot A2000 IS.  
The three packs - Blackhawk 'Coyote Tan' on the left, ALICE at the top, and Blackhawk 'OD Green' on the right.  The MOLLE pouches on the Coyote Tan pack are 5.11 Tactical
'Flat Dark Earth':

Blackhawk Coyote pack (with attached 5.11 pouch visible) on the bottom,
ALICE pack on the left, and Blackhawk OD green pack on the right:

Blackhawk OD on top and ALICE on bottom:

ALICE on top and Blackhawk Coyote on bottom:

-K

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Special-K] [#3]
Blackhawk OD pack:

Blackhawk Coyote Tan:

USGI Large ALICE:

The two Blackhawk packs:

This is a closeup of the Blackhawk Coyote Tan and the 5.11 Tactical Flat
Dark Earth.  I think these pics slightly exaggerate the differences
between the two, as they really are very close:

-K

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Here we have the pouches -
Top row, left to right - USGI ALICE M-16 mag pouch, Condor Tactical M-14
mag pouch in Tan, and then in OD Green, and the USGI Improved First Aid
Kit in ACU digital.  Bottom Row left to right - USGI MOLLE dual 40mm
grenade pouch, 5.11 Tactical 'FDE' pouch, Black Hills Red Box ammo and a
USGI 30round mag:

Another pic of some of the pouches:

Some of the pouches laid out over the ALICE pack:

The two Condor pouches and the 5.11 pouch:

Over the Coyote Blackhawk pack:

The OD and Tan Condor mag pouches over the Blackhawk OD pack:

I apologize for any inconsistencies in the lighting, etc.  The weather
wasn't the best, and I was in a little bit of a hurry.  If anyone would
like to see more pics, or different arraignments or comparisons let me
know and I'll do my best to accommodate.  I fave some other gear stashed
(as in scattered) at my place so if someone wants to see other items, I
may have it on hand.
-K

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok so I grabbed some controlled pics of several different uniforms with the following set-ups:

1. SKD/EAGLE PIG PC MultiCam with MC pouches

2. EAGLE NSW PC Ranger Green with HSGI Smoke Green shoulder pads and TAG Coyote Brown pouches

3.  TAG A-TACS chest rig with various A-TACS pouches

4.  TAG Coyote Brown chest rig with TAG CB pouches

Enjoy

USMC issue DESERT MARPAT

MARPAT woodland

ACU

3 COLOR DESERT

WOODLAND

MULTICAM

A-TACS

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone have a 500D Camelbak in foliage? Specifically the current Ambush. The colour on their website is fairly dark and would be suited to what I need, but pictures elsewhere seem to be the lighter green/grey colour. The packs with the 1000D Cordura on their website have the lighter colour, I'm thinking perhaps the 500D is taking the same dye a bit differently or something?
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Multicam and A-Tacs seem to be the best camo with kind of gear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent post jinx667,

Like most of members out there, I like to see new patterns come out. Though, I am always hesitant of actually buying the latest and greatest because I don’t want to re-invent the wheel having to re-buy matching or compatible gear.  

You get major kudos in my eyes for showing the membership what combinations will or won’t work well together and hopefully save us all from spending funds that can always be better served elsewhere so, thank you for your efforts!

I currently run TAG Khaki gear which has more of a subtle green tint to it than their current Coyote Brown and seems to blend well with my issue as well as personal kit.      

I have been on the MultiCam fence for a couple of years now with the Big Army issuing it in Afghanistan and rumors of it being the new standard. Recently I went to Ft. Bliss and I see MultiCam along with ATACS being sold in clothing sales, WTFO? So, my plans on going the Multicam route have gotten an ATACS wrench thrown into my decision making process. Its not like any of us, especially Soldiers are made of money.  

Now on to my observations of the combinations you posted:

MultiCam works well with both MARPAT Desert and MARPAT Woodland. Only marginally with DCU and surprisingly, Woodland BDU and even less so with ACU.

Ranger green seem to be the best match for ACU and only OK with ATACS. It is not a good match with MultiCam and is at its worst with DCU and MARPAT Desert.

ATACS really impressed me with its ability to blend in well with the base colors of MARPAT Desert, MARPAT Woodland, DCU and surprisingly ACU and traditional Woodland. And, while one wouldn’t expect it, ATACS and MultiCam components seem to work extremely well together as they seem to share some of the same base colors if not pattern.

To my eyes, Coyote Brown still has the best single color ability to blend well with almost everything with the exception of ACU.

If I was shopping for new gear in a single color I would choose Coyote Brown. For camouflage patterns I would go with ATACS followed by MultiCam to cover most situations as they have the ability blend well with most every pattern out there.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
good stuff
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SciFiFlyer] [#12]
Ten thousand shades of "OD": http://atthefront.com/us/uniforms/whatiskhaki.html

Be thankful we live in a time where camo and other hidey colors can be reasonably assumed to match by name!

One maker's Coy Brown will at least be close to another's, one would hope?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Protech Ranger Green Vest
HSGI Smoke Green Pogey Pouch
Diamondback Tactical Ranger Green Radio Pouch and Med Pouch
Tactical Tailor Ranger Green webbing on the groin protector
Grey Ghost Multi-Cam pistol and rifle ammo pouches

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Not the best pictures I guess (took these about a month ago before I came across this thread and knew what you wanted for pics) but this is my ATACS blouse laid down in the SE Wyoming grasslands about 25m away:

For a little better look, this other picture is zoomed in a little for a closer look:

Right now I'm busy pushing a class through but as soon as I get some time off of work, I want to put out several patterns to include ATACS, ATACS-FG, Multicam, Marpat desert, Marpat Woodland, 3 and 6 color desert as well as woodland and night desert uniforms laid out side by side out here and see what kind of reults I come up with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 2:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SciFiFlyer] [#16]
Old German WW2 patterns are still available in new garments for re-enactors or the general public. Mostly they're available in the form of smocks and complete uniforms, or as shelter quarters. The patterns and fabric are closely controlled by the manufacturers to ensure a close authenticity (and prevent them being sold as "genuine"). Sometimes you can find the cloth available by-the-yard on auctions sites however expect them to have come from China. Here's a few examples I have in my collection, as you can see they are still quite effective.

All photos taken mid-day in light overcast, exposure lightened 1 step electronically, displayed on a standard IPSC target in common east TN overgrowth. Altering the exposure did not make the pattern any more or less distinct, this particular setting was chosen to show the pattern for best viewing. I have normal and darker as well but have not uploaded them.

Here is a couple yards of subdued Oak-A draped over the target, cloth I bought from At The Front, a reputable re-creator of WW2 uniforms. Like the original, it is reversible from Spring to Fall:

I came across several yards of "44 Dot" on that auction site, it is a close match to the original but easily distinguished when compared to the real thing. It is one-sided:

Lastly, my favorite. This Type 1 smock was made by 1944 Militaria, again a respected maker of WW2 uniforms, and is in "Overprint". The original smocks were considered too bright by the soldiers, so later runs were given a random black overprinting. Again, reversible from Spring to Fall:

These are available in the forms listed above, they will not make you a set of current battle dress in these patterns. You can see how we've almost come full circle in camouflage design when compared to Multi-Cam and other alternative patterns.

http://www.atthefront.com
http://www.1944militaria.com
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By raf:
Submitted for your consideration:http://www.emdomusa.com/whybetter-CM.html.

This thread is primarily concerned with depicting colors of materials/gear as currently offered on the civilian market and by the military.

For further, world-wide comparisons, this site is invaluable:http://www.kamouflage.net/

Hopefully other disinterested folks will submit similar pix.

IMHO, and being a little familiar with pix, such submitted pix should be taken in full sunlight without flash, and should include some very familiar object, such as a coke bottle, as a reference item.

Your contributions, tagged as to vendor and (hopefully) material mfr, are welcomed.  This is an INFO thread in a Tech forum, and is a request for pix, NOT comments on same.  Mods/Staff can delete comments at will.

Mods and Staff reserve the right to delete very poorly-taken pix and pix/comments that could be construed as blatant adverts.

I'm wondering why disinterested folks would contribute
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:54:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 10:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripletrpper] [#20]
I wanted to share something on Photobucket with you!

See the fullsize version at: http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd111/tripletrpper/?action=view¤t=PICT0034-1.jpg&evt=user_media_share

Sent from my iPad
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag for comparo..

Also, what pouch is the one with the chemlights attached?

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:

Tag for comparo..

Also, what pouch is the one with the chemlights attached?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/jinx667/DSC00022.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a TAG Molle Enhanced MBITR Pouch:

http://www.optactical.com/tagmoenprmbr.html

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like the pattern and colors in AOR2 / NWU III

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#26]
^^^^ Really digging the aor2/NWU kit you got.

I'm the same way with aor1/desert marpat. Unfortunately, prices are crazy for those high on ebay and the corps was too cheap to produce digital pattern equipment hence the reason why they went with coyote brown (hyperstealth.com is where I got that info) so I never got to play with any of the cool digi gear, just the standard desert and woodland digital clothes and packs.

Currently looking to build a kit with aor1 accents on a coyote tan minimalistic carrier from grey ghost gear.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]

TOP LEFT: HSGI OD GREEN (bleeder/blowout pouch)
TOP RIGHT: TACTICAL TAILOR OD GREEN(e&e horizontal)
BOTTOM LEFT: TACTICAL TAILOR RANGER GREEN(grenade pouch)
BOTTOM RIGHT: MAXPEDITION OD GREEN(wallet)

Hope this helps someone.

I think I'm gonna go with Ranger Green for the rest of my gear, it seems to be more consistent between brands, and available from more manufacturers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top