Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2009 10:37:10 PM EDT
Can someone please tell me who makes the best plate carrier on the market. Some im looking at are Eagle, Blackhawk and blackwater. Any info and pics would be great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Tactical Tailor releasable that I like.  Probably most will say Eagle is the best.  I have Eagle stuff that is very nice, just not their plate carrier.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That's like asking who makes the best car!  

There are lots of mom and pop shops out there....but I haven't seen anyone that beats Eagle in anything.

Maj
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as stand alone carriers go, the Eagle PC is nice. Paraclete, Tactical Tailor, and DBT also have nice stand alone carriers.
If you want to run a PC over soft armor though there are gonna be different options.

CXS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the paraclete, with eagle being a close second
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to plate carriers. As already mentioned everyone likes somethign different. I started with a Blackhawk STRIKE carrier, then went to a HSGI Wastach, then a Weestach, then an Eagle PC w/ cummerbund, and have finally setteled on a Paraclete HPC. LIke everythign else, your gear will like evolve the more you use it and discover what you actually need and dont need.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Blackwater, they are discontinued but still have some on Ebay
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Get a Blackwater, they are discontinued but still have some on Ebay

I have one and I'll be honest....I kinda wished I had just put the money towards something else.  Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad piece of kit but it just doesn't fit me right.  The cummerbund on it helps greatly but it does eat up a good bit of MOLLE space, and becasue of my torso length the MOLLE by my sides is virtually unusable because it's practically up to my armpit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Can anyone tell me of the Eagle PC with cummerbund L/XL size will take medium sapi plates? I am 5'10'' 200lbs I would like to get the medium but im scared it will be to small with winter gear on.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
This post is like the question "What handgun should I buy?" It all depends on your needs, plate size, budget, etc. Some will fit your body different, some have different methods of release.  There is no "Best".There are several good brands and models within those brands. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me of the Eagle PC with cummerbund L/XL size will take medium sapi plates? I am 5'10'' 200lbs I would like to get the medium but im scared it will be to small with winter gear on.

The carrier is based on the size of the plate you use. If you are running 10x12 plates get the medium carrier.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you want to run a PC over soft armor though there are gonna be different options.

CXS

what might those be?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CXS

what might those be?

Simple Plate Carriers Like the TT MPC, the HSGI Woosatch which was designed to wear over soft armor....

This is just my personal opinion..

If I'm wearing Concealed Armor already, I don't want to don a PC with Cummerbund..

CXS

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been running a HSGI Weesatch for 4 years with no complaints.  The Woosatch is also a very good buy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can someone please tell me who makes the best plate carrier on the market. Some im looking at are Eagle, Blackhawk and blackwater. Any info and pics would be great.

The Blackwater is discontinued. Eagle is nice, but I found that the Cummerbund on them isn't useful at holding "essential" items, as I had to bend my hand at awkward angles to access the stuff on it. If you are thinking Eagle, you should look into these: http://www.skdtac.com/PIG_Plate_Carrier_p/pig.501.htm  They're made by Eagle for SKD, but they're basically just an evolution of the Eagle PC. Blackhawk's is ok as well.

DBT stuff is pretty amazing for that they charge.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
After many hours and reviews I think I am going to go with the DBT Gen 2 fast attack plate carrier. Its not to big and bulky and I can keep it in the front seat of the squad. I will just don it over my regular soft armor for active shooter scenerios. I work in a town where the shootings seem to be occuring on a weekly basis and I need something thats fast. I hope im making the right decesion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I prefer the paraclete, with eagle being a close second

This

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]
We just got the Scalable Plate Carriers issued when we got over here.  Made by Eagle of course.  Great piece of kit.  I'll post pics when my dang camera arrives.

Maj
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#19]
What about for Low Vis PC or just a PC with no molle attatchments? My tactical Tailor PC works fine by itself, but i dont like how my MAV or Riflemans Rig fits over it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

We just got the Scalable Plate Carriers issued when we got over here.  Made by Eagle of course.  Great piece of kit.  I'll post pics when my dang camera arrives.

Maj

What about a blurry pic of a SPC using the MTV Cummerbund????

CXS

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
CS....

That is in fact how I'm running my SPC.  I took my MTV c-bund and attached it to my carrier.  The advantage is the fact that the side plates are now "internal" to the C-bund vice hangin on the outside like "wings" so to speak.  Again, I'll work some pics....maybe send them direct to you since my connectivity is so limited?   What is your email?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maj

What about a blurry pic of a SPC using the MTV Cummerbund????

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/IMG00401-20091028-1326.jpg

CXS  

I like it!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I like it 2,wonder how it would be with the Spartan c/bun since the s-sapi pouches in that are a little lower profile.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#24]
The very best is probably Mayflower Research and Consulting.

Best one you can (maybe) find is the Paraclete SOHPC, but wait a bit. Grey Group Training is about to field an improved cummerbund for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The very best is probably Mayflower Research and Consulting.

Best one you can (maybe) find is the Paraclete SOHPC, but wait a bit. Grey Group Training is about to field an improved cummerbund for it.

Will this be cummerbund  2.0 or 3.0 for the SOHPC?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a replacement for the internal cummerbund that will have PALS webbing so you can tuck mag shingles or radio pouches inside the cummerbund. There was a discussion about it...elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's a replacement for the internal cummerbund that will have PALS webbing so you can tuck mag shingles or radio pouches inside the cummerbund. There was a discussion about it...elsewhere.

Must be the same thing I heard Josh from Grey Group talking about.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep. Eric told me over on another board.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Posting this up for MajorAR:

Both pics are my current “kit” I’m rolling with.     Scalable Plate Carrier with MTV cumber bund.    It’s a type of “hybrid” that is an awesome set up.  I’m running Tangodown and USGI(Okay Ind) mags.  TT mag shingle, and eagle M4 pouches.  Source water carrier.  PVS14 in the M4 pouch and Eagle Admin pouch.  Benchmade nylon cutter and SureFire helmet/vest attachment as well.  Standard M4 with ACOG and KAC broom stick and VTac sling.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Help me out, what is the purpose of the cumberbund?  Cant you just attach your pouches to the webbing on the vest itself?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Help me out, what is the purpose of the cumberbund?  Cant you just attach your pouches to the webbing on the vest itself?

There is a requirement to wear side SAPIs, also you don't have enough room on just the front and back to put all your required gear.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Also the internal cummerbund can help get some of the weight onto your hips and off your shoulders depending how you adjust it.

External cummerbund, yes, more PALS real estate and side SAPIs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Stupid question, but does the new scalable plate carrier take the same soft armor inserts that the MTV uses?

No, the MTV is too large.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yeah, I realized that when I was eating lunch earlier... the MTV soft armor reaches all the way up into the shoulder straps. They don't call us Dumb Ass Tankers for nothing!

So anyone know what cut of soft armor the SPC takes?

Its a special cut manufactured by Specialty Defense.

Its sewn into the SPC.

To me it looks like the PACA armor for the Eagle PC.

CXS

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok guys so I went with a DBT Gen 2 FAPC. I got it in the mail today and I could not be more happy with my purchase. I was not totally clear in my initial post on what I was looking for. I am no longer a Marine and dont have a use for a full rig. But I am a police officer now working in a very gang infested town. I deal with active shootings on a common basis.

Ok so what I got is great for me. I can don this plate carrier directly over my other carrier which contains my second chance armor. No longer a need for one of those gay bailout bags as I have my med kit attached, two 30 rd ar mags, two pistol mags and a rc knife. Everything fits well and is very comfortable for me , even over my other armor. Now all I have to to is throw this over my head grab my ar and get into the fight.

I know there are alot of cops looking for something similar and I think this is the answer. Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Pics man!!! Pics or didn't happen.  You know the rule!

Maj
Link Posted: 12/1/2009 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#39]
anybody tried the Beez Combat Systems PC?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top