Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hawk...excellent thread.  Really have learned a lot here.

Two questions for you:

1. Where are you buying the Propper ATACS?  Do you have a vendor you prefer?

2. Are the ATACS in 65/35 Poly/Cotton Ripstop? (propper calls it “BattleRip”)

Thanks for your time on this...
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye:
You have trees, bushes, and other plant life. It will work fine.  

I'd like to see how it works all year round, through the changes in color with the plant life.

how about some pics with say a multicam pack or chest rig, ect, to see how/if they can work together. I'm sure not everyone wants to reinvest all sorts of money into
yet another camo collection
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't been in this thread in years; Hawkeye, hope you're well man. We haven't kept up.

Question for you though, any idea where to find the SKD stuff other than SKD? I have a set of their BDU's and they fit me better than any other. I wanted to get a couple more pair in some solid colors for 3 Gun and they're currently sold out at SKD.

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The A-TACS FG looks great in hand. Being in the desert it is hard to not have a preference for the AU, especially since it will only get some use up north for a little hunting. I am sure those outside the South West will be loving it since most people have the Green around.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dreiwhit] [#9]
Originally Posted By ivox:
Hawk...excellent thread.  Really have learned a lot here.  

+1

This thread had been very informative and enlightening.  Information and pictures posted here has shown me that the camo I was leaning toward would not have been the best choice for my area.

BTW, anyone have any pictures of OD & woodland gear being worn over MARPAT style camo?
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 12:20:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wsix] [#10]
In that one pic, your morale patches expose you.

I'm loving some FG.
That prone sunlight pic is only fucked by the brim of the hat.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
have  you ever tried out SURPAT?

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Been wanting to try it out for some time now, just havent ever gotten around to ordering any. Only place I know of to get the real thing is from SRVV in Russia.
RUSMILITARY sometimes have stock, but otherwise, they are ordering it from SRVV themselves, and you still have the extra wait.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thread!

I have been searching for some replacement BDU pants, and this thread has helped a lot.  I have been wearing a pair of tiger stripe BDU pants for many years when I go hunting.  They are now faded and have a hole in the crotch.  Time to retire these pants and get something new.  I have had several pairs of regular hunting pants in Real-tree and Mossy-Oak, but they wear out quickly.

I am torn between the A-TACS FG, and German Flecktarn pants.  Is there a good place to order Flecktarn pants OP?  I can only find used pants online, so maybe they are mostly unavailable in the U.S..  

Also, I know it's a free country to wear whatever you like, so long as you are not faking military service, but a buddy of mine loves wearing ACU color pants around for everyday comfort.  He gets all kinds of civilians coming up to him wanting to thank him for his service.  I am sure that would be very annoying/bothersome for a regular joe.  

Not to mention I am also a civilian, and sometimes I am out hunting on a military base, I would feel poserish wearing ACU or Multicam pants around soldiers on a base.  One time, even just wearing my faded Tiger stripe pants tucked into my boots for ticks, a guy thought I was military from a distance.

I like the way ATACS and Flecktarn blend in, as well as they are not ACUs, Multi-Cam, or MARPAT.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I posted this in a new thread and then I remembered this one.

I need to clear up  NV, NIR, IR issues with ACU patterns and materials.
I understand that when buying Multicam the preferred version is the
50/50 NYCO with regards to NV, NIR and IR issues, wash with non
brightening detergents, etc.
I know that black under NV lights up pretty well. What are the preferred
materials with other newer patterns such as desert digital (commercial,
not MARPAT), or A-TACS, etc. or is it really not an issue? Is it more
color based, material/dye based or both?

In regards to these issues, is there much difference between Propper & Tru Spec?

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]

To my knowledge, polyester blends arent NIR compliant. Only NYCO blends are. I'm not an expert on those aspects though.
Non-compliant NIR (Near InfraRed) Clothing and Gear : Is
this a concern for anyone here when it comes to buying clothing, backpacks,
tents, pouches etc?

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I am torn between the A-TACS FG, and German Flecktarn pants. Is there a good place to order Flecktarn pants OP? I can only find used pants online, so maybe they are mostly unavailable in the U.S..

The only place i've found that has new Flecktarn clothing is a vendor on Amazon.com.  His Fleck is new, and he has it in larger sizes.  

I suspect these are made for the paint ball guys, so I'm not sure of the quality or the durability.

I like Fleck myself and have thought about ordering a set.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By OlKev:

To my knowledge, polyester blends arent NIR compliant. Only NYCO blends are. I'm not an expert on those aspects though.
Non-compliant NIR (Near InfraRed) Clothing and Gear : Isthis a concern for anyone here when it comes to buying clothing, backpacks,tents, pouches etc?

For those interested in such things, just received this note from the A-TACS folks:

A-TACS AU and A-TACS FG are NIR "compatible".   A-TACS AU is NIR Compatible to Desert Marpat.    You cannot claim (as some wrongfully do) "NIR compliancy" unless you have received an NIR compliancy form the US Military.  The US Military will not issue compliancy
if they are not purchasing your Pattern / fabric.    Therefore there is
nothing to comply to.       A-TACS FG is NIR compatible to Multicam,
because NIR specs have been issued to Multicam just as NIR specs have
been issued to Desert Marpat.      That make sense?   The only thing to
NIR, is that the ink used to print the pattern, has to fall within
certain wavelengths on the spectrum.  The inks used to print A-TACS AU
and A-TACS FG do fall within that spectrum for Desert Marpat and
Multicam but still cannot be called "NIR compliant", only compatible.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
NIR technology has more to do with whether the fabric is more effective at absorbing near-infrared wavelengths rather than reflecting them. NIR-compliance does consider the wavelength of the colors but also has to do with the process of applying those colors to the fabric. At Propper, we have NIR-compliant garments made of many different fabrics (50/50 NYCO twill and ripstop, fire-resistant Defender M, 100% cotton, Nomex, Gore-Tex laminates, etc.), all of which are NIR-compliant in certain patterns. They meet military specification because these fabrics are vat-dyed, instead of being pigment-printed.

Certain vat-dyed fabrics and processes are more effective than others at NIR-compliance. That is because the dye is being absorbed by the fabric at a cellular level, instead of having a pigment being bound to the fiber. Vat-dyeing is a more expensive and time-consuming process. Pigment-printed  65/35 poly/cotton ripstop is a lower-cost fabric which is not NIR-compliant. That's why our MultiCam VS products (for example) use 65/35 Poly/Cotton as they are not used by the military. They are optimized for the visual spectrum (hence the VS) as law enforcement agencies using them don't have a need for NIR-compliance and are often limited in budgets. The military uses milspec MultiCam in our 50/50 NYCO ACUs and headwear, Defender M FR ACUs and FR Combat Shirts and Trousers. Those are NIR-compliant since they are all vat-dyed according to NIR wavelength specifications.

The reason why Propper has not manufactured a "NIR-compliant" version of products in A-TACS AU or A-TACS FG is because NIR compliance is (as stated previously) a military specification. Since the military does not use either version of A-TACS, they have not determined the color wavelengths standards for either A-TACS pattern. As a result, no product in either A-TACS pattern can be considered NIR-compliant.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quick question,

this type of coat/jacket http://www.predatorbdu.com/products/A-TACS-Army-Combat-Uniform-Coat-65-35-Poly-Cotton-Ripstop-Mil-Spec-F5459.html , would this be comfortable to wear in weather up to 50-60 degrees?  Or are these meant for colder weather?  

I was thinking 'light jacket'.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
Quick question,
this type of coat/jacket http://www.predatorbdu.com/products/A-TACS-Army-Combat-Uniform-Coat-65-35-Poly-Cotton-Ripstop-Mil-Spec-F5459.html , would this be comfortable to wear in weather up to 50-60 degrees?  Or are these meant for colder weather?  
I was thinking 'light jacket'.

Think more along the lines of ACU uniform top and you are going to be spot on.  At work, especially on days we are going to be out in the field or on the range, I won't wear my ABU's (not in an AD status and I hate the Airman Burned Up uniform with every fiber of my being) and since we are working on an Army Guard base, I won't wear ACUs either and I tend to try to avoid Multi-cams because some of the students that are deploying from the RTC sometimes wear them and as an instructor, I try to stand out from them so ATACS-AU and ATACS-FG are two of my favorites although I also wear older style BDUs to include woodland, 3 and 6 color desert cammies as well. ATACS though is probably the best pattern I have found out here to blend in with the local area.
Now if you are looking for an excellent jacket in ATACS, look into the SORD smock.  They are NOT cheap (mine was around $250) but the workmanship and attention to detail is OUTSTANDING!!!  The day you run out of pockets with this jacket is the day you are carrying WAY too much crap with you!  The other thing that is great about them is that they are cut large.  Comes to colder months, I have no problem wearing a fleece or even a Level-7 jacket underneath for added warmth yet still keeping that excellent ATACS pattern in the dead Wyoming grasslands.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm kinda surprised the AU works that well in that environment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Multicam

Central Texas

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Unless you have on a black belt................where the hell are you?

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By Gopher:

Unless you have on a black belt................where the hell are you?  

Dead center in the photo, 10m from the camera

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn!

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Damn!  

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I found you thanks to your hands. Multicam works great
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#37]

I received a nice box of goodies from the German Sabre De company today. Now I can be the most tacticool Limey mall ninja!

I have to say, the build quality and features on these is amazing. So many damned pockets!

'Special Forces' Smock Gen 3 in Pencott Greenzone:

'Special Forces' Shirt Gen 2 Pencott Greenzone:

'Sniper Hose' Pencott Greenzone Front (1st) and back (2nd) images. The pockets are on the back of the trousers, as they are meant for shooters laying prone:

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]
That would definitely be great camo for most of Northern Europe. You'd disappear in Sweden wearing that Pencott.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#39]
nice, got a link for sabre de ?
how was it dealing with them ? did you have to wait to get the gear delivered ?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#40]
do you have any pics of it while outside?
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By ImpacTT:

nice, got a link for sabre de ?

how was it dealing with them ? did you have to wait to get the gear delivered ?
I'll leave the link 'cold' so as not to rustle any feathers, as they aren't an industry partner. http://www.sabre-shop.de/

Some things to bear in mind:

The website is in German, although they say that they have a US/UK English site coming soon.

They only accept PayPal or direct bank transfers (credit cards and debit cards are not trusted as much it seems).

The wait for my gear was not that long at all (probably 5 days), but then Germany to the UK isn't quite the same as Germany to the USA.

Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

do you have any pics of it while outside?
I haven't had the chance to make proper use of it myself, but I do have some photos that other people have posted, in similar terrain/vegetation to my area:

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 9:46:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ImpacTT] [#42]
that looks very effective..
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By ImpacTT:

that looks very effective..

It seems to be most effective in mossy areas, and lush grassland. I mean, while it's not going to work everywhere, even within my very green locale , but in the parts it does work, it works scarily well.

It does such a good job of blurring out shapes and outlines, that I have to actually really look to see the pockets and flaps and stuff on the jacket and trousers.

Link Posted: 8/3/2012 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I have some Atac FG shots here in the jungle.

7 Yards

Zoomed @ 7yds.

15 yds

Z@15yd

25 yds

Z@25

I'm going to say the pattern is not great in silhouette. It's really great behind even slight concealment.

In all those pics, if I was wearing , say, black; you would be able to see my entire outline. You can see through that brush.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 9:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#45]
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#47]
nice pics .thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Multicam + Ghillie and Burlap, no natural vegetation.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 10:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top