[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
Here is some new camo I just got in.  It is called Multiland, from Defcon 5 in Italy.  The camera makes it look more vibrant that it really is.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/blackhawk67601/camo%20pics/100_1442.jpg

Here it is with my gear.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/blackhawk67601/camo%20pics/100_1443.jpg

With Temperate Vegatata, Propper multicam, and Platatac's Platacam.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/blackhawk67601/camo%20pics/100_1444.jpg

And with multicam.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae74/blackhawk67601/camo%20pics/100_1445.jpg

I will try to get some field pics soon.

Multiland was a test camo that Defcon offered to our Alpine troops but they've never adopted it....it's basically a Vegetata camo with Multicam colors.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 5:57:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlKev] [#5]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye:
Just to compare the Tru-Spec and Propper Digital Woodlands a little easier.....

Tru-Spec...........................................................................................................................................Propper

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Camo%20comparison/Truwood1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Camo%20comparison/Propwood1.jpg

The pics are outstanding and really help in deciding on not only the camo pattern but the accessories to go with it. That Coyote Brown doesn't look half bad with the Multicam.

THANKS HAWKEYE!
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah I agree coyote brown works with everything. all of my   go to gear is coyote
works with everything and almost anywhere and doesnt   stand out on multicam or marpat
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jonathon:
I recently picked up a pair of Tru-Spec TRU Pro-G bdu's in Coyote. I got mine from Desert Deuce but they are also available at OPSGear as well.

The material is a 65/35 Poly/Cotton ripstop.

So far, my first impressions are very favorable. I'll get some more pics up of them outdoors soon. Also, I havent forgotten about doing some night vision shots with the others both with, and without, IR illumination, just havent had a chance to get to it. I'll be including these when I do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Coyote/Coyote2.jpg

So what's the verdict on these quality wise? Are they truely darker than khaki?

I love my BDU pants in Khaki.. but they might as well be white..

Yes, they are darker than Khaki for sure. I'll try to get a shot of the two together. So far, quality seems to be good as they are holding up fine to quite a bit of washing and wearing.

Coyote Tru-Spec pants next to some Propper Khaki pants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Camo%20comparison/Coykhaki.jpg

Awesome thank you! I assume the Tru Specs are a zipper fly as well?
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Even better thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 12:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neeglik] [#11]
Hawkeye,
  Nice work.  I've done similar testing before.  I'd have to look up all the old pics and scan them.  The video was a good idea, as movement and such make a big difference.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the video to play on this computer, and I'll have to check it out later.  

A couple suggestions, if I may...  

I'd like to see more environments.  I think you'd get different results looking at more of a pine forest, palmetto field, swamp (talking lots of mud and water here), etc.  I'd like to see other colors too.  I know you lean toward coyote, but OD (or smoke or ranger) green would addtionally make a good base to compare all of these other patterns too.  I'd like to see DPM, desert DPM, Flektarn, the desert tiger stripe (as I am a fan as well), and some of the other tiger stripe patterns too.  These are all readily available through multiple sources (sportsmansguide and ebay come to mind), vs. some of the exotics that a lot of us will probably never be able to pick up.  

I'd suggest trying to mix colors too.  Some environments will be one color at the base (dirt, mud browns), and another above waist level (foilage greens).  I had good success with woodland BDU pants and a DPM top while playing paintball back in the day.  Hard as heck to see.  Speaking of which, are you doing airsoft or any force on force to try this out.  Maybe play hide and seek with the boys and get them to find you while dressed in various colors.  I know you said it was for "serious use" at the beginning, so I was just looking to put that into context.

Also, I would like to see some closer shots like GuyKeefer did on page 6.  The further the distance the less any of these patterns are going to matter, so I'm not sure how viable the long distance shots are; ie. the desert digitals will stand out a whole lot more than the darker colors up close.

Oh, and isn't there some black in the woodland digital/Marpat?  I thought that glowed like neon and guaranteed you will be shot instantly!  *sarcasm*  

Just my .02, and it this is outside the realm of your testing, then I apologize.  

The results of my experience, and my personal opinion, is that it's basic camouflage techniques that will make or break a guy.  Base colors, such as OD/Coyote will work just as well.  Most of these patterns will be covered in shades of sand, mud, sweat, etc. after more than an afternoon of "real" woods movement anyway.  Another benefit is that OD and Coyote don't stand out as much to the general population when I'm not in the woods.  Seeing as how there is so much green in Florida, I lean toward OD stuff.  That is not to knock coyote, multicam, etc.  Just had to pick one, and that's what I went with.

Look forward to seeing more.

edited for clarity
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Neeglik

Im sure your more then welcome to  post up your test shots.

I would love to do all of your suggestions, but I dont really want to spend  hundreds of bucks buying camo patterns just for testing and I doubt anyone else will either.   I suggest to everyone that  is interested in these tests, if you have a camo pattern not shown already,  to go take some pics adn post them up. I am never going to buy DPM or flectarn so waiting on someone liek me to  test it may be a long wait.  So if you got some please   do some tests. We can all learn that way instead
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hawkeye, have you considered doing some T&E on some A-Tacs?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#14]
great thread. Let me post pics I found online of various camos ( some are airsoft but shows camos in various environments)

usgi woodland::

marpat vs multicam vs woodland:

issue Multicam vs Marpat ( or aor1?):

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just reading some article online about the switch to Multicam  for the Army

It was interesting to read their plans about gear to go with it.

the idea was to have the g ear blend better or look just like the cammo.   they where saying that in the case of the USMC using coyote that is not  the same as Marpat, that it frames the vital zone  of the person wearing it, up nicely as a aiming point,  at longer range you can aim at and concentrate on the squared up tan section. and you would get a hit somewhere that matters

I like the coyote cause it seems to  blend in with a lot of different camo patterns,  but this makes sense to me too,  hm..
any thoughts from anyone?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:
I was just reading some article online about the switch to Multicam  for the Army

the idea was to have the g ear blend better or look just like the cammo.   they where saying that in the case of the USMC using coyote that is not  the same as Marpat, that it frames the vital zone  of the person wearing it, up nicely as a aiming point,  at longer range you can aim at and concentrate on the squared up tan section. and you would get a hit somewhere that matters

I like the coyote cause it seems to  blend in with a lot of different camo patterns,  but this makes sense to me too,  hm..

Thats the same train of thought that led the Army to buy everything in ACU vs buying foliage green.  My last deployment (2006-2007) we werent allowed to use any gear that wasnt ACU pattern.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

There was an article a few years back in the Infantry magazine about that. There were numerous reports of snipers using the NODs mounts on the ACH as an aiming point on soldiers. Since there isn't any black in ACUs, that black plate stuck out real bad, so I can see it happening. I'm not too sure about the coyote tan and MARPAT. It would depend on how well it blends together.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Last post was 8/29/2010

Anybody have anything new in Camo?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 10:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tim_in_CO] [#21]

Hawkeye - What chest rig is this?  It looks like a TT MAV but it is missing the side release buckles between the shoulder straps and the chest panel and has the non-slip on the strong shoulder, very nice.

Edit.  Just saw where you said it was custom, did you make it or have someone else do it for you?
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I still think the blocky bland patterns grounded in dull grey and mud brown earthtones are best.  I've always wished I could find some camo that'd reference a Maine Whitetail's hide!  I can never find those 200lbs bastards!

All joking aside, I've always been partial to the "Natural Gear" and "Predator" camo lines.  Out of the two I prefer Natural Gear.  The muddy grey with vertical brown overlayments always works well up this way.  Of course....1/3 of the year also requires white.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
i got some new stuff.  I just thought everyone stopped caring when I didnt see this thread much. I iwll try to post some pics in a few days,  hopefully i can try some of them out in the snow we got
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Propper Digital woodland left, Tru-Spec Digital Woodland middle, USMC MARPAT woodland right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Camo%20comparison/PropTruMar.jpg

You must have been reading my mind . . .  I was wondering which commercial brand color depth, etc. was closest to the USMC MARPAT. It seems like the brown in the Propper is closer to the USMC and there is less green, and the green is the TruSpec is closer to the green and more brown than in the USMC and more and deeper black in the USMC than either of the other two.

Since you have them there, which do you think is closest to the USMC?

For the bottom line, do you think that if you were only going to buy one pattern, Multicam is the way to go but if you were going to go with two, the digital desert and woodland is best?

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Hawk is good....
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#27]
marpat with marpat 3 day assault pack. back in the fall

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ImpacTT:
great thread. Let me post pics I found online of various camos ( some are airsoft but shows camos in various environments)

http://i36.tinypic.com/kcy1jl.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/28jcwgw.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/67nmsm.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics.

The second one in particular illustrates a shortcoming of multi-cam that I really haven't seen before. I had no idea that it stood out so much against lush vegetation.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
Originally Posted By ImpacTT:

http://i36.tinypic.com/kcy1jl.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/28jcwgw.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/67nmsm.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics.

The second one in particular illustrates a shortcoming of multi-cam that I really haven't seen before. I had no idea that it stood out so much against lush vegetation.

In that particular environment in the first pic, that USGI Woodland is pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larryparamedic] [#31]
Having just read through this entire thread I have to give props to everyone and their very hard work posting in this thread.
What a wealth of information.
I was planning on buying a whole new setup of gear and had decided on Multicam with OD Green gear (molle gear vest gloves etc) but after seeing this I have completely changed my mind and decided to go with all Coyote gear for the MC.
And that's only IF I go with MC as I've about changed my mind on that in favor of MARPAT! lol

So much camo so little time!

Any suggestions on whether I should go with Coyote or OD gear?

Also, any thoughts or reviews on Subdued Urban Digital, Urban Camo or ABU?
I love the look of the SUD, just don't like all black gear to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the reply Hawkeye.
I'm definately going to go with coyote gear then.
I think the Digital Woodland seems to blend in the best and I believe I'll just get a set of MC and a set of DW.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Propper Digital woodland left, Tru-Spec Digital Woodland middle, USMC MARPAT woodland right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Gear/Camo%20comparison/PropTruMar.jpg

How much color variation/saturation did you find between the digital desert patterns, or in other words which of those is closest to MARPAT or is it less of an issue?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By larryparamedic:
Thanks for the reply Hawkeye.
I'm definately going to go with coyote gear then.
I think the Digital Woodland seems to blend in the best and I believe I'll just get a set of MC and a set of DW.

If you are going to get Multicam and Digital woodland BDU's I would suggest Multicam gear instead of coyote.  Obviously it would match the multicam BDU's but multicam gear works real well with MARPAT too.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
OK due to the hard work done here I bought a set of MARPAT Digital Woodland yesterday.
I had previously been completely set on Multicam, even to the point of having the order form filled out and ready to send.

I do have one question I found online this statement on a site about MARPAT:
"If you are not a Marine, public wear of MARPAT is unlawful, disrespectful, and could get you in trouble."
This has somewhat concerned me. I mean, I completely understand the point, but I have no intention of strolling downtown in MARPAT and trying to pass myself off as a Marine. I haven't earned that right, but is it uncool to wear these out to say, the range? I mean, it was a Marine I bought them from after all, and he didn't ask. Just wouldn't want any Marine becoming very offended by it and wanting to kick my ass for wearing them.

What's the thought on this?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Why would you wear camo to the range anyway? Kind of a fudd thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By larryparamedic:
OK due to the hard work done here I bought a set of MARPAT Digital Woodland yesterday.
I had previously been completely set on Multicam, even to the point of having the order form filled out and ready to send.

I do have one question I found online this statement on a site about MARPAT:
"If you are not a Marine, public wear of MARPAT is unlawful, disrespectful, and could get you in trouble."
This has somewhat concerned me. I mean, I completely understand the point, but I have no intention of strolling downtown in MARPAT and trying to pass myself off as a Marine. I haven't earned that right, but is it uncool to wear these out to say, the range? I mean, it was a Marine I bought them from after all, and he didn't ask. Just wouldn't want any Marine becoming very offended by it and wanting to kick my ass for wearing them.

What's the thought on this?

wear what you want. just dont say you are a marine

our taxes pay to have it all made anyway, so if you want to wear it for  hunting/fun/sex/whatever then do it.   multicam is US Amry issue and people wear it all the time.

wear what you want when you want. its still a free country
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
Why would you wear camo to the range anyway? Kind of a fudd thing to do.

durable clothes that you dont mind getting dirty?

ive worn some, if im going to be kneeling/prone, etc...  camo hides dirt and grass stains better than nice pants

normally i just wear shorts in the summer, or blue jeans for the winter.  

side note:
everyone gets their panties in a twist over camo....somehow if you wear anything from Woodland camo , AOR1, multicam, or whatever else, your somehow automatically a poser.               Ive got no problem with people wearing camo...but when you start mouthing off about being in the service and your not...or if you have some funky fake badges/insignia on the uniform and TRYING To pass yourself off as a soldier...then its an issue.   I stick to silly or generic patches for hats/range bags/etc...like Lead Farmer, Molon Labe, an American flag, etc.  No rank/chevrons, no military insignia, etc etc.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Anybody taken a look at the new Navy Type II/II camo to see how it stacks up with the rest?
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larryparamedic] [#43]
I haven't seen a comparison with them included as yet.

I will say though that I would think any comparisons with Marpat would be "close enough" to base the Navy's uniform on as they are so similar, and there is great Marpat info in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:29:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OlKev] [#44]
Hawkeye,

Are you still planning to shoot some pics and evaluate A-TACS?

If anybody is interested, BDU.com has it for sale now.

It almost has a 3 dimensional look to it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#45]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By OlKev:
Hawkeye,

Are you still planning to shoot some pics and evaluate A-TACS?

If anybody is interested, BDU.com has it for sale now.

It almost has a 3 dimensional look to it.
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=101215

THAT looks like a winner...! Interested to see how that works.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Great thread. Interested in what ATACS brings.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 2:04:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snare] [#48]
Is Tru Spec's Pro G line of woodland digital (marpat) wear available from anywhere other than US Cavalry?

And does anyone make a similar shirt design (buttons, pockets, no velcro etc.) in multi cam yet?

Also, I'd love to see more pics of multi cam gear over marpat, please.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#49]

AOR2 on a now deceased Navy SEAL. RIP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SilentType:
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4079/seallooney2.jpg

AOR2 on a now deceased Navy SEAL. RIP.

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top