Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hawkeye:

Thanks. And yeah.....that's what they all say.

Not sure about Wolf Grey.  I wouldn't rule it out, but it honestly hasn't been on my interest list.
View Quote
Well if you do shoot me a PM, I really wanna see it in the woods before I commit
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That truspec All Terrain Tiger looks like it would make great late season/open country hunting camo.  Any plans for testing it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:11:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump.

Thanks for doing this.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again for all the work you do for this Hawkeye!   So, as of now,  what would you says is the most effective pattern for your your AP?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XM15M4Guy] [#8]

Man, that's a really tough call. Speaking just for my area, Multicam works pretty good. Honestly though, I think newer patterns like All Terrain Tiger Stripe, Covert woodland, and A-Tacs iX work as well if not better. That said, I still want to try out the Covert Arid and Covert Transitional, and would like to revisit both A-Tacs AU and FG as its been some years since I did anything with them.
View Quote
Thanks!  I'm trying to decide between the A-Tacs iX and the All terrain tiger for my area (Central Alabama) as well. Although, I think the Pencott Greenzone may work too. Too many patterns. So little cash...lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#10]
anyone know where I could buy a scottish camo?

I'm trying to find out what there military wear's and it's coming up a ton of different things, anyone know what they use?

Also where can I buy one of those hats?! 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:

I'm trying to find out what there military wear's and it's coming up a ton of different things, anyone know what they use?

View Quote
I worked with an officer from 4 Scots on my second tour in trashcanistan.  They wore the UK version of multicam.  Their BDUs are cut different to accommodate their thick ass belts and have a flap for rank on the chest.  I have one set.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdnfs3SI5o
View Quote
Another excellent video Hawkeye..!!

FGs are also my go-to camo for my AO
from May-September.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything new to report?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Keeping things alive - anything new?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been running woodland truspec tru’s for my AO. Like the pattern and the availability. You can also find cheap sets at the local army/navy to outfit a few others.

I actually got one of the 20 on the very last run of OD green eagle industries produced of their plate carrier with cumberbund. They go well together. Wished ppl still produced gear in od like they used to. I have been looking to see what would complement the od carrier also. Someone said multi cam would.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Great reviews!

I will add that the best camo is movement, or specifically, LACK of movement .... I can’t tell you how many times I have been glassing an area and had absolutely no clue something was there until I saw an ear, tail, etc move and it drew my attention....animals that depend on survival 24/7.... 365.. can teach us a lot about blending in.... something I try to teach my boys every time I am out in the woods...
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sdwornicki:
I worked with an officer from 4 Scots on my second tour in trashcanistan.  They wore the UK version of multicam.  Their BDUs are cut different to accommodate their thick ass belts and have a flap for rank on the chest.  I have one set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sdwornicki:
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:

Best place for MTP uniforms is ebay, I have a few sets as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump

don't want this one to go away.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Bumping again and to say thanks to Hawkeye for doing this and brent0331 if you're on here.

Multicam really does work very well all year round, in both the sun and shaded areas. Multicam Tropic and Woodland are a bit too dark at times.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the latest?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe a silly question but how long do most folks go in the field before they get new issues of uniforms?
At what point do the uniforms fade/rip/deteriorate to the point where they are no longer serviceable?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Maybe a silly question but how long do most folks go in the field before they get new issues of uniforms?
At what point do the uniforms fade/rip/deteriorate to the point where they are no longer serviceable?
View Quote
My BDUs lasted years; multiple ftx's, deployments, schools, etc.  I had enough ACUs after the last deployment to last me until the wear out date, but they didn't last nearly as long as BDUs since they had a bad habit of blowing out crotches.  I threw away every pair I took to NTC this last year just to make room for the OCP uniforms I had at home.  So far, the OCPs are more durable than the ACUs were, haven't blown out a crotch yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#33]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKRQNCMOhk
View Quote
Well done Hawkeye
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#35]
Not sure if this belongs in here or not, but I thought I'd add it anyways since there's not much info on them out there.

Just got a couple of pairs of these Army Combat Pants in. They are fire resistant and take Crye knee pads.  There is a vertical adjustment strap for the knee pads located in the cargo pockets and velcro straps behind the knees to help align them.  There is a small flap that folds down while the knee pads are inserted or can be used to help seal up the knee pad slot while the pads aren't inserted.

Button up fly with velcro waist adjustment straps on both hips.  Gusseted crotch.  Button closure on the cargo pockets with shock cord draw string.  Velcro closure calf pockets.  Button closure rear pockets.  Standard slash hip pockets are very deep.  Like, swallow half your arm deep.  Lots of heavy bar tacking throughout.

The design is somewhat of a mixture of BDU and ACU features with a dash of Crye thrown in.

I got them for winter wear as they aren't all that breathable due to the FR material used.  I also wanted to try out the Crye Airflex knee pads without buying a $280 dollar pair of pants. I think I spent about $105 for the pants and Crye pads, all new with tags/packaging.

I assume they will fade pretty quickly as well, but that may be a useful change to the color during the winter around here.

I'll be wearing them a lot in the next few months and will post updated pictures of color change and any durability issues that come up.  I'll try to keep a pair new to compare color change with use and washing.

If anyone has any questions about them don't hesitate to ask.

Forgot to add:

They came with an adhesive field patch in the back pocket.  Not sure how useful it would be but I thought I'd throw a pic in.

Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:
Not sure if this belongs in here or not, but I thought I'd add it anyways since there's not much info on them out there.

Just got a couple of pairs of these Army Combat Pants in. They are fire resistant and take Crye knee pads.  There is a vertical adjustment strap for the knee pads located in the cargo pockets and velcro straps behind the knees to help align them.  There is a small flap that folds down while the knee pads are inserted or can be used to help seal up the knee pad slot while the pads aren't inserted.

Button up fly with velcro waist adjustment straps on both hips.  Gusseted crotch.  Button closure on the cargo pockets with shock cord draw string.  Velcro closure calf pockets.  Button closure rear pockets.  Standard slash hip pockets are very deep.  Like, swallow half your arm deep.  Lots of heavy bar tacking throughout.

The design is somewhat of a mixture of BDU and ACU features with a dash of Crye thrown in.

I got them for winter wear as they aren't all that breathable due to the FR material used.  I assume they will fade pretty quickly as well, but that may be a useful change to the color during the winter around here.

I'll be wearing them a lot over the winter and post updated pictures of color change and any durability issues that come up.

If anyone has any questions about them don't hesitate to ask.

http://i.imgur.com/NHF8VOK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NOfmLso.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZTA24z7.jpg
View Quote
Whoa! So Goodwill is making Army uniforms?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:

Whoa! So Goodwill is making Army uniforms?
View Quote
Not sure if these are being made anymore, but I believe Goodwill and Readyone Industries were the companies that made this particular type of pants.  Propper and Massif also made slightly different versions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#39]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sA4toaU7Aw
View Quote
Good review, as per the usual.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone know about the effectiveness of combining dessert pants with woodland shirts?

I noticed it done in Lone Survivor (granted it's Hollywood) and it got me wondering what the effectiveness would be.

I'm currently considering mating a pair of ATACS AU pants with ATACS FG shirt, and I think it'd be a good compromise for effectiveness for the majority of the year.

Can anyone vouch, or test?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
Does anyone know about the effectiveness of combining dessert pants with woodland shirts?

I noticed it done in Lone Survivor (granted it's Hollywood) and it got me wondering what the effectiveness would be.

I'm currently considering mating a pair of ATACS AU pants with ATACS FG shirt, and I think it'd be a good compromise for effectiveness for the majority of the year.

Can anyone vouch, or test?

Thanks!
View Quote
Since both patterns were made for very different environments, any positive effect of mixing and matching is mitigated. 3-color desert tends to be too bright for just about anything, while M81 Woodland is too dark for most any environment save dense northern forests. The color palettes of the two ATACS patterns aren't as radically disparate, but I can't foresee much advantage, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 4:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pav56C] [#42]
Originally Posted By lew:

Since both patterns were made for very different environments, any positive effect of mixing and matching is mitigated. 3-color desert tends to be too bright for just about anything, while M81 Woodland is too dark for most any environment save dense northern forests. The color palettes of the two ATACS patterns aren't as radically disparate, but I can't foresee much advantage, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
View Quote
I'm hoping Hawkeye can prove or disprove my theory before I spend over a hundred bucks on a non matching set.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By lew:

View Quote
I seem to remember units using Woodland Tops and Winter White Bottoms for winter warfare. I'm not sure who exactly but the thought was that they would blend well with the ground snow and the vertical foliage/trees. Those two colors are pretty much polar opposites as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Stonecutter6:
I seem to remember units using Woodland Tops and Winter White Bottoms for winter warfare. I'm not sure who exactly but the thought was that they would blend well with the ground snow and the vertical foliage/trees. Those two colors are pretty much polar opposites as well.
View Quote
I think, given the sharp contrast, a dense evergreen forest with snow on the ground would be one of the few environments where the concept has merit. In a woodland or scrub environment during the other three seasons, we see a wider vertical distribution of the dominant greens and browns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#47]

It can work, depending on the terrain/environment. If I get time I'll see if I can do a little mixing of the two for you.
View Quote
Thanks thatd be awesome!
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd like to see the results. I can see there being a limited application for the concept.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I think the BDU top/DCU bottom combination became a thing after the movie. In reality the taliban tape sadly showing the unlucky soldiers killed show them wearing Full woodland uniforms.

On the other side, pics that have surfaced recently show some of the Rangers sent to Rescue the trapped Team wearing that peculiar mix of uniforms. I don't know if it was for camouflage or recognition (some other rangers from the Recon Detachment wore full tan uniforms on the same mission).

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top