Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 153
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the reason for dropped down holsters? So the chest rig doesnt get in the way? Also any suggestions for padded suspenders for enhanced shooters belt esstac?
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
What is the reason for dropped down holsters? So the chest rig doesnt get in the way? Also any suggestions for padded suspenders for enhanced shooters belt esstac?
View Quote

Dropping a holster down makes for a more natural arm length when drawing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

As the guy above said, it's a better draw, and it makes sure your cummerbund, side plates, or whatever else you have hanging off your sides doesn't interfere with your sidearm and vice versa.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

It also makes it less sucky if you run a full size pistol and do a lot of vehicle based operations. Being seated for long periods with a gun digging into your side sucks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Also any suggestions for padded suspenders for enhanced shooters belt esstac?
View Quote

The tactical tailor yoke is very comfortable. Only worn it under my carrier for a few minutes but seemed to work well there too. I ordered the hsgi as well to get a feel of what's what and the combo I like is the t.t. yoke with the hsgi lowers. Haven't taken it for a hike yet but I'm liking it so far.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

Same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
Originally Posted By dcs12345:

I keep my Esstac belt hanging with a wilder tactical "urban assault belt pad" attached to the velcro so I can grab it and go without the inner belt.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-423klbo1ne/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/143/895/UA_Pad_BK1__91005.1630012187.jpg?c=1

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/image-2469127.jpg

Same.
Same same.

It's actually pretty handy too for another reason. I am getting ready for a run and gun and I wasn't super happy with the setup last time. This morning I pulled the pad, undid the One Wrap and made some adjustments to make it feel better on my left hip. Then slap the pad back on and give it a whirl.

Another question for y'all, do any of you run your buckle offset to one side or another? I switched to the Esstac angled magazine holders and to get them where I liked them I needed more clear space in the front of my belt. So I offset the belt to the right, it works pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By markg1117:
Anyone have a ferro bison belt. How do you like it. I'm putting together my first belt.  My second question is should I just start with a true north adaptor it's  $40 more than the safariland mid rise. If it's worth it I'll get it from the start.  This is mostly for the range maybe some run and gun.
View Quote
Yes.

It's worth it. I like it because it is straight down without a curve like the UBL. It holds my pistol in a better position for draw.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a bison. It's my second favorite belt. Love the MHA
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 4:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 96Ag:

Another question for y'all, do any of you run your buckle offset to one side or another? I switched to the Esstac angled magazine holders and to get them where I liked them I needed more clear space in the front of my belt. So I offset the belt to the right, it works pretty well.

View Quote

I did before I ditched the "war belt" concept.

I offset the buckle to 11 o'clock to make room for the tourniquet at 2ish.

Seemed to work well enough.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 4:26:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:

https://i.imgur.com/g2eFMCU.jpg

View Quote

What are you running for your IFAK?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ecosystem3:

What are you running for your IFAK?
View Quote

It was a SO Tech Viper A1.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
First attempt at a belt and posting pics, be gentle...

Esstac Enhanced Shooter's Belt
Esstac Rifle Kywi
Double Pistol Gap Kywi
Safariland  7378 on QLS/UBL
T. Rex Arms leg strap

Looking for a TQ holder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:09:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#16]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Work in progress. Esstac belt, mag pouches, TQ holder. Safariland holster on a mid rider UBL with QLS. T.REX arms leg strap.

The snap hook is connected to the bottom row of MOLLE on the back of the pistol mag pouch with a double wrap of One Wrap. Mechanix Gloves.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/668/71228D2D-524D-4F52-8B0D-641D536631DF-2572398.jpg

View Quote

I like that idea of the gloves hooked to the mag pouch molle…seems like a more efficient use of space.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 2:17:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#17]
Looking for a padded belt insert for my ronin and I’m considering This one.. Anyone have experience with this?

Also I like the ronin, but have considered a slick side belt like the esstac etc. anyone know which brand has the largest range of adjustment?
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
Looking for a padded belt insert for my ronin and I’m considering This one.. Anyone have experience with this?

Also I like the ronin, but have considered a slick side belt like the esstac etc. anyone know which brand has the largest range of adjustment?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Love mine
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

HSGI makes quality stuff, so I’m sure it is fine.  I have a wilder tactical Urban Assault Pad and I’m really happy with it.  I doubt there is much difference with the construction
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]

HSGI makes quality stuff, so I’m sure it is fine.  I have a wilder tactical Urban Assault Pad and I’m really happy with it.  I doubt there is much difference with the construction
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info. I actually may go with the wilder. The Hook section on my Ronin is 2” short from
the closest HSG size. The closest wilder size is 1” short from covering the whole hook section. I’m assuming it’s ok if the entire Velcro hook section isn’t covered, or should i go with slightly longer than the hook section?

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks for the info. I actually may go with the wilder. The Hook section on my Ronin is 2” short from
the closest HSG size. The closest wilder size is 1” short from covering the whole hook section. I’m assuming it’s ok if the entire Velcro hook section isn’t covered, or should i go with slightly longer than the hook section?
View Quote

Don't have any issues leaving hook uncovered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Thanks for the info. I actually may go with the wilder. The Hook section on my Ronin is 2" short from
the closest HSG size. The closest wilder size is 1" short from covering the whole hook section. I'm assuming it's ok if the entire Velcro hook section isn't covered, or should i go with slightly longer than the hook section?

View Quote
I wanted to buy the hsgi but their shipping was high IMO. wilder was cheaper. size also worked better for me. I think they are pretty similar construction.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Is the True North holster adapter really worth it? I'm on the fence about it.
View Quote

I REALLY like mine. I have two
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

It is the best. Hands down one of best gear purchases I've made.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Worth it? Absolutely. Necessity? Not quite.

It's as rigid as it gets and that's what sold me on it for my Safariland. I prefer little to no movement when drawing from a holster. And it's not so bulky that it get's in the way.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Got my Defense Mechanisms Mech belt set up the other day.

PIG gloves on a Grimlock carabiner, TQ pouch, Esstac Kywi double pistol mag pouch, 2x Agilite Pincher pouches (with MOLLE straps cut off), BFG dump pouch, True North MHA with leg strap holding a Safariland 7TS RDS , Sig/Hogue EX-F01 5.5" fixed blade for maximum LARP, Hogue auto folder and Gerber Diesel multi-tool in a DM double pistol pouch.  

Everything but the True North and knife is mounted with 3/4" or 1" One-Wrap.  This is probably the most One-Wrap friendly belt on the market, since the inner belt also has a Tegris core, stuff is locked down when sandwiched between the inner and outer.

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Croak:

https://imgur.com/LOtsF6j.jpg

PIG gloves on a Grimlock carabiner, TQ pouch, Esstac Kywi double pistol mag pouch, 2x Agilite Pincher pouches (with MOLLE straps cut off), BFG dump pouch, True North MHA with leg strap holding a Safariland 7TS RDS , Sig/Hogue EX-F01 5.5" fixed blade for maximum LARP, Hogue auto folder and Gerber Diesel multi-tool in a DM double pistol pouch.  

Everything but the True North and knife is mounted with 3/4" or 1" One-Wrap.  This is probably the most One-Wrap friendly belt on the market, since the inner belt also has a Tegris core, stuff is locked down when sandwiched between the inner and outer.

View Quote

What are your initial thoughts on the Mech Belt?

There are a few things that it looks like it does really really well, that are maybe not ideal on my Blue Alpha Gear belt, so I've been considering picking up a Mech belt to try.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Real_PhillBert:

There are a few things that it looks like it does really really well, that are maybe not ideal on my Blue Alpha Gear belt, so I've been considering picking up a Mech belt to try.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Real_PhillBert:

https://imgur.com/LOtsF6j.jpg

I really like it so far, and you really want to get their inner to go with it to maximize the potential of the system.  What I particularly like is no exposed MOLLE loops, that's an area that seems to wear faster, and caught on crap when doing more than just LARPing with previous belts.  It's very very light thanks to the Tegris (double layer on outer, single narrower layer on inner).

Still never going to like Cobra buckles, but at least this one is small.  Just wish they'd done like AXL does and let you use the buckle of your choice, I'd much rather have a G-hook.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Inner belt is separate and costs $45.  

You don't need to run theirs, any inner with Velcro loop on the outside should work.  But their inner is better than most, and really brings the whole room together.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Something to note with the mech belt is the outer is 2" but there's options for 1.5" or 2" inners. My gortex trousers that I mostly wear out in the woods have 2" loops but the mech inner is very tight and will damage the loops if used repeatedly. Unfortunately everything's 3-5 week backorder .

My other recommendation is if you're between sizes like I was go down instead of up. Being at max tightness introduces a large overlap on the inner where there's no velcro which can sag. I mitigated this by putting it on the non holster side but it's still annoying. Another word of caution to nubes like me is to have your measure tape as tight as your belt is going to be or you'll end up too large.

I got a mech and an esstac to try and they're both very nice with the mech being easier to adjust on the fly and the esstac feeling a little less bulky and more minimalist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes.
View All Quotes
Yes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Got the last bits to get my harness finished up. Took it for a hike and very comfortable but not a lot of weight on it yet. 👍👍 on the TT yoke.

Need some pouches for munchies and 1st aid kit. Looks like the BF pre made kits are popular. Thinking esstac or TT for pouches since they local.

PSA if you're downstream in the pnw post a flood watch😶
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Same here, and an exposed Velcro belt is just yuck in street clothes.  Save that shit for the range or operating operationally.  

The need to have a Velcro inner as your EDC belt so you can don a battle belt right quick is pretty damned limited for most folks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Some people like thicker inner belts they can use for edc. I honestly prefer thinner ones since I don't edc with the inner belts. I can get everything a bit tighter that way. Honestly that's simply personal preference

Same here, and an exposed Velcro belt is just yuck in street clothes.  Save that shit for the range or operating operationally.  

The need to have a Velcro inner as your EDC belt so you can don a battle belt right quick is pretty damned limited for most folks.

Plus if you just leave the inner belt attached to the outer, you can just throw the whole thing on overtop whatever you're wearing like a classic design battle belt.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:23:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Evolution.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know if a company is making a shooters belt with the following requirements.
- Black
- Cobra Buckle
- MOLLE
- D-ring or loop for carabiner
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BOONEA:
Anyone know if a company is making a shooters belt with the following requirements.
- Black
- Cobra Buckle
- MOLLE
View Quote

TYR $$$
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#41]
- Black
- Cobra Buckle
- MOLLE
View Quote

Blue Alpha Gear does all that.

https://www.bluealphabelts.com/product/molle-1-75-battle-belt/
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#42]
- Black
- Cobra Buckle
- MOLLE
View Quote

I have a Blue Alpha and an AWS belt I use for work. The AWS is awesome... tons of options, made in the USA, and at a price that is really good.

AWS Composite MOLLE belt

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone else run an IFAK at the 12:30 to 1 position?  I have a BFG micro there, and it seems like it would work (does not interfere with the holster).   Any issues?  I just don't want stuff at the 6:00 on the belt, due to pack interference and uncomfortable seating in vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 2:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: skindroid] [#44]
Originally Posted By raimius:
Anyone else run an IFAK at the 12:30 to 1 position?  I have a BFG micro there, and it seems like it would work (does not interfere with the holster).   Any issues?  I just don't want stuff at the 6:00 on the belt, due to pack interference and uncomfortable seating in vehicles.
View Quote

I have always run my IFAK at 12:00 (always in some manner of fanny pack).  I never quite understood the logic of having the pouch that's stuffed with all the shit you'll use to save your own life as the least accessible.

I currently use a Ferro Mini Dangler (pictured on the far left with a TQ on the bottom) on a double rig belt.  It works really well and easily carries (2) TQ's, a needle D, and a Phokus kit.  If you roll your own medical kit you could get even more in there.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geohans] [#45]
Thanks to some of you guys in this thread, here's how I updated my setup from 2012 to 2022:

New:
Ronin Task Force belt
Left to right for my left handed setup:
Leatherman Surge
Safariland QLS, running their optic ready level 3 retention holster for my P320 with SF 300 Ultra
Dark Angel Spear-- bigger than my old setup but much more capable; acceptable for reasonably short drives in my vehicle, just feels like a slightly exaggerated version of my lumbar support if I adjust the seat back angle.  I need to train up to the capability of this IFAK.  tourniquet is protected; easy access from either hand; more substantial structure than BFG IMO.
Esstac mag pouches.  AWESOME customer service, super quality, so glad I finally got to that decision.  

I may separate the rifle mag from the pistol mags by one notch. It worked okay for my first wringing-out session this morning, but may adjust.

Considering True North belt attachment to replace Safariland mid length drop belt connector.

My Safariland holster is coyote brown; in an ideal world I'd just buy another one in black but holy crap $260 for a holster. . . . . . I may rattle can it.  It's the quasi-cordura finish.

I went with molle/malice attachments.  It's not that difficult after the first one, and after experimenting and researching I decided a few extra minutes of frustration was worth it.

Other likely change-- dump pouch.  Otherwise set for the foreseeable future.

I ordered and returned an HSP belt.  the sizing was the biggest problem:  I fell exactly on the medium-vs-large threshold.  Also, the Ronin surpassed it in terms of perceived quality and toughness. Also, the Ronin 2in inner belt had much more purchase for the velcro, which I found. very weak on the HSP 1.75" which had non-stick edges that took up about a quarter inch of surface area.

Here's today:

Attachment Attached File

Here it is next to my circa 2012 VTAC padded belt with HSGI tacos; coyote brown for my former AZ area of operations.  I am planning to keep it; there are times when the padded  belt could come in handy, for example to throw on over a coat. Now in NOVA.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By sparky-kb:

I did before I ditched the "war belt" concept.

I offset the buckle to 11 o'clock to make room for the tourniquet at 2ish.

https://i.imgur.com/g2eFMCU.jpg

View Quote

Another "Be positive" guy here!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#47]
Made some adjustments.  Added more robust meds to the belt, consolidated the TQ, added battery holder, and dropped the Specter Gear pouch.  Only missing 2x2" blood type patch that will go next to the Med + patch and glow stick for the far right battery holder.

Lighter setup but missing some items I had in that Specter pouch.  Tradeoffs.  

NEW

Attachment Attached File

OLD

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
Made some adjustments.  Added more robust meds to the belt, consolidated the TQ, added battery holder, and dropped the Specter Gear pouch.  Only missing 2x2" blood type patch that will go next to the Med + patch and glow stick for the far right battery holder.

NEW

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183262/Screen_Shot_2022-11-13_at_2_53_22_PM_png-2598899.JPG

OLD

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183262/Screen_Shot_2022-10-12_at_1_17_15_PM_png-2598891.JPG
View Quote

The shotgun holder is hot but I think those batteries are coming out
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 5:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#49]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

NEW

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183262/Screen_Shot_2022-11-13_at_2_53_22_PM_png-2598899.JPG

OLD

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183262/Screen_Shot_2022-10-12_at_1_17_15_PM_png-2598891.JPG

There's good retention on thinner AA's.  These 123's were tough getting in; I think they'll be secure.

12 gauge shells are too thick to fit.

Updated

Edit
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 153
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top