BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 153
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LFC2112:

Forget the knife and pistol interference, what about the mag placement in front of the pistol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

That's where my 3 goes and I don't even know it's there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369185/1030771_2-1798127.jpg

Interesting layout

It looks like the knife and pistol handles would interfere with each other when the belt is laying flat, but they separate when wearing.

I need to lose a pistol mag as 31rds of 10mm is plenty for a back up. The rearmost rifle mag might move over to the right side. Not completely sold on knife location, but it's the best compromise I've found so far.

Rifle mags, TQ (with either hand), and pistol ease of access are my priorities in that order. Everything else has to be a compromise.

Forget the knife and pistol interference, what about the mag placement in front of the pistol

** Prepair for old man, old timey story **

It’s not as bad as you may think.

I was a cop when we transitioned from revolvers to semis. When carrying a revolver, the reloads were always strong side, as you were using your off side hand to eject empties, and grabbing your speed loader with your strong hand.

When we went to semis, I kept my mags in front of my pistol horizontal. It worked very good!  The magazine bottoms were nearly at your centerline, which made them accessible with either hand. Which was ok, because we had to do off hand shooting / reloading during qualification.  

All that being said, I have since moved my mags to off side, near the centerline of my body, for no real reason.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Changed lights on my M&P so I need to replace the holster.  I use the Safariland QLS setup and have an ALS holster for my 1911, but finding one for the M&P without the SLS hood has been difficult.

You guys that use the SLS do you like it?  And how is the function and appearance of you remove the hood?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jcast141:
Changed lights on my M&P so I need to replace the holster.  I use the Safariland QLS setup and have an ALS holster for my 1911, but finding one for the M&P without the SLS hood has been difficult.

You guys that use the SLS do you like it?  And how is the function and appearance of you remove the hood?
View Quote

Pretty sure they have ALS without SLS for the M&P:

https://www.galls.com/photos/documents/sizing/Safariland_Duty_Holster.pdf
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I love it. Can't tell a difference in speed between SLS/ALS and just ALS, but the extra security is nice for sure. If you do want to remove it, it's just a couple screws and it's gone without effect to the rest of the holster or its function.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Henny:

I was a cop when we transitioned from revolvers to semis. When carrying a revolver, the reloads were always strong side, as you were using your off side hand to eject empties, and grabbing your speed loader with your strong hand.

When we went to semis, I kept my mags in front of my pistol horizontal. It worked very good!  The magazine bottoms were nearly at your centerline, which made them accessible with either hand. Which was ok, because we had to do off hand shooting / reloading during qualification.  

All that being said, I have since moved my mags to off side, near the centerline of my body, for no real reason.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Henny:

Interesting layout

It looks like the knife and pistol handles would interfere with each other when the belt is laying flat, but they separate when wearing.

I need to lose a pistol mag as 31rds of 10mm is plenty for a back up. The rearmost rifle mag might move over to the right side. Not completely sold on knife location, but it's the best compromise I've found so far.

Rifle mags, TQ (with either hand), and pistol ease of access are my priorities in that order. Everything else has to be a compromise.

The pistol is a backup. There are greater concerns than getting OCD about a timed pistol reload. That said, there is always room for improvement and I'm open to suggestions.

A higher priority is the TQ. I can reach it with either hand where it is, but it's not ideal. Think I'll try putting it on the PC.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit piles up...mostly AR setups with a few "subgun" setups, a .308 belt and a couple built for AKs.  

Just ordered a role of 75 feet of the Velco OneWrap as the usual MALICE clips really suck.  Oh, I've pretty much migrated the majority of my holsters for QLS...all of my belts now have them.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
Shit piles up...mostly AR setups with a few "subgun" setups, a .308 belt and a couple built for AKs.  

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/Battle_Belts_2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/Battle_Belts.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Just ordered a role of 75 feet of the Velco OneWrap as the usual MALICE clips really suck.  Oh, I've pretty much migrated the majority of my holsters for QLS...all of my belts now have them.  

ROCK6
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Use a 6360 everyday, love it. When it comes to retention holster the Safariland is the way. Is it a 2.0? What light are you using? Be advised the 2.0 used a different holster than the original M&P.

Since this is a pic thread here is the belt kit I’ll use most of the time.

Glock 19, X300U-A in the OG 500 lumen flavor, Benchmade Griptilian, TRex Ragnarok, old school Tactical Tailor double mag pouch, 1110 ETAK IFAK, a tan SOFTTW, and my everyday Bullhide belt.

I started this idea after realizing as much as I prefer the IFAK on the PC, it’s more practical if I can have it with me all the time. The idea here is if the kit is compact enough to keep in my daily backpack it will be in a position to be used rather than hanging on my PC stand. I set everything up to be threaded onto the trouser belt. The Ragnarok is a really nice holster, no retention but it’s compact and puts the handgun in a nice position for the draw. The holster and UBL have a QLS on them so swapping to a higher retention holster is quick and easy. The TT mag pouch was an in store special about a decade ago. I picked up 3 in khaki for $10 each. The pouch has polymer clips inside that retain the mags. Overall it seems to work very well. Way lighter and less bulky than a dedicated belt setup. I’m going to see if I can use a Coyote RATH between the tear away IFAK. If not the Tourniquet will just go in a pocket.

This is not an original idea. I randomly ran across a video from Garand Thumb on YouTube and had a moment of enlightenment especially since I wanted to make the IFAK more practical for daily carry and use.

I did modify a pair of Malice clips for belt use for this application as One Wrap isn’t conducive to being threaded onto the belt. With the clips tucked under the webbing they don’t seem to create a hot spot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:07:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jonathon:

Use a 6360 everyday, love it. When it comes to retention holster the Safariland is the way. Is it a 2.0? What light are you using? Be advised the 2.0 used a different holster than the original M&P.

Since this is a pic thread here is the belt kit I’ll use most of the time.

https://i.imgur.com/ev4tO0M.jpg

Glock 19, X300U-A in the OG 500 lumen flavor, Benchmade Griptilian, TRex Ragnarok, old school Tactical Tailor double mag pouch, 1110 ETAK IFAK, a tan SOFTTW, and my everyday Bullhide belt.

I started this idea after realizing as much as I prefer the IFAK on the PC, it’s more practical if I can have it with me all the time. The idea here is if the kit is compact enough to keep in my daily backpack it will be in a position to be used rather than hanging on my PC stand. I set everything up to be threaded onto the trouser belt. The Ragnarok is a really nice holster, no retention but it’s compact and puts the handgun in a nice position for the draw. The holster and UBL have a QLS on them so swapping to a higher retention holster is quick and easy. The TT mag pouch was an in store special about a decade ago. I picked up 3 in khaki for $10 each. The pouch has polymer clips inside that retain the mags. Overall it seems to work very well. Way lighter and less bulky than a dedicated belt setup. I’m going to see if I can use a Coyote RATH between the tear away IFAK. If not the Tourniquet will just go in a pocket.

This is not an original idea. I randomly ran across a video from Garand Thumb on YouTube and had a moment of enlightenment especially since I wanted to make the IFAK more practical for daily carry and use.

https://i.imgur.com/iMEiw3H.jpg

I did modify a pair of Malice clips for belt use for this application as One Wrap isn’t conducive to being threaded onto the belt. With the clips tucked under the webbing they don’t seem to create a hot spot.
View Quote

Nice. Reminds me of the setup I was running on my last deployment when I wasn't in full kit everyday.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
This has probably been discussed, but with the inner/outer velcro belts, what do you do when it's cold and you're wearing jackets and stuff? Just tuck it all in and loosen the belt a bit? Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:
This has probably been discussed, but with the inner/outer velcro belts, what do you do when it's cold and you're wearing jackets and stuff? Just tuck it all in and loosen the belt a bit? Or am I missing something?
View Quote

In the winter I would use just the outer belt and wear it on top of all my outer garments. It rarely required any adjustment but if I needed to let it out a bit I could.

I use the HSGI slim grip pad to give the belt some sticking power against my clothes and to cover the hook velcro on the outer belt. If your outer belt has loop velcro this isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

In the winter I would use just the outer belt and wear it on top of all my outer garments. It rarely required any adjustment but if I needed to let it out a bit I could.

I use the HSGI slim grip pad to give the belt some sticking power against my clothes and to cover the hook velcro on the outer belt. If your outer belt has loop velcro this isn't necessary.
View Quote

Not a bad idea. So you just place the outer belt over the slim grip pad?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Interesting layout

@LFC2112  On my MOLLE belt, I have the spare mag in front of the holster (right side). Even with armor on, I can still reach it with my support hand without issue. The reason I have the pistol mag on the same side as the holster is that I have a three rifle mags on the left- 9, 10, and 11 o'clock- with an admin pouch spanning the surface of those rifle mag pouches.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

How's the pistol a backup? For some roles it is, for some roles it isn't.

For most cops the pistol is primary. For the average civilian carrier, the pistol is primary. For many in the military, the pistol is primary.

And when your pistol goes dry, it needs to get back up NOW.

ETA: looking at your belt setup, it's a mess. Its poorly thought out, and poorly constructed.

Im not trying to be a dick about it. But I have plenty of experience setting this stuff up, and you need to rethink all of your gear needs and setup.

Reduce your setup. If you need 120 rds of rifle get a chest rig. Move the pistol mags to the left, if you need rifle mags put one on there for a speed reload.

Flap mags with buckles for retention is excessive. When you need your pistol up, you need it up now.

When I started doing this, my belt setup had 3 rifle, 3 pistol mags on it. It was entirely too much stuff.
Belts should be light and minimal. Anything additional should be on your chest.
View All Quotes

The pistol is a backup. There are greater concerns than getting OCD about a timed pistol reload. That said, there is always room for improvement and I'm open to suggestions.

A higher priority is the TQ. I can reach it with either hand where it is, but it's not ideal. Think I'll try putting it on the PC.

How's the pistol a backup? For some roles it is, for some roles it isn't.

For most cops the pistol is primary. For the average civilian carrier, the pistol is primary. For many in the military, the pistol is primary.

And when your pistol goes dry, it needs to get back up NOW.

ETA: looking at your belt setup, it's a mess. Its poorly thought out, and poorly constructed.

Im not trying to be a dick about it. But I have plenty of experience setting this stuff up, and you need to rethink all of your gear needs and setup.

Reduce your setup. If you need 120 rds of rifle get a chest rig. Move the pistol mags to the left, if you need rifle mags put one on there for a speed reload.

Flap mags with buckles for retention is excessive. When you need your pistol up, you need it up now.

When I started doing this, my belt setup had 3 rifle, 3 pistol mags on it. It was entirely too much stuff.
Belts should be light and minimal. Anything additional should be on your chest.

My needs may not be your needs. And weight should be on your hips, not your shoulders.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 6:54:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#16]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/Battle_Belts_2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/Battle_Belts.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

nm... found answer
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Robertesq1:

nm... found answer
View Quote

Hahaha...yeah, I saw how to do it, just haven't done it yet.  I have a couple of slim belts it could work on....we'll see how it does.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

I apologize, its not a slim grip pad. I have the micro grip belt panel; same neoprene liner, but this one velcroes directly to my outer belt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The PC is a good place to put TQs. However, if you anticipate ever wearing your belt on its own without your PC, then there should be a TQ and other basic medical stuff on the belt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]

I apologize, its not a slim grip pad. I have the micro grip belt panel; same neoprene liner, but this one velcroes directly to my outer belt.
View Quote

That looks perfect. I'm gonna snag one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Brian01:

The PC is a good place to put TQs. However, if you anticipate ever wearing your belt on its own without your PC, then there should be a TQ and other basic medical stuff on the belt.
View All Quotes

I won't be wearing one without the other.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Pretty sure they have ALS without SLS for the M&P:

https://www.galls.com/photos/documents/sizing/Safariland_Duty_Holster.pdf
View Quote

Oh yeah I just meant hard to find just the ALS version on the used market, no need to pay retail for my range warrior use on something as durable as a Safariland.

@jonathon

Yeah it is the 2.0, good to know on the holster fit, hoping with the adjustability it’ll still work.

Switched from the 1.0 FS 40 with an Inforce APL to the 2.0 Compact 9mm with TLR-7A.

Had been using just a regular kydex holster with the QLS setup on it, and a 1911 with the ALS as my other setup.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brian01] [#24]

My needs may not be your needs. And weight should be on your hips, not your shoulders.
View Quote

For long duration hiking, sure. But moving a few rifle mags to your chest would be a big improvement in how well your gear works.

I'm having a hard time imagining what your needs are, or what operational constraints you're under, that you need all that ammo but also can't wear a PC or chest rig with your belt.

Do you also have a plate carrier that's so stuffed with mags that you need to use your belt to make room for all the mags you need?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Ah yes. The uber unique use case that is different from every other use case that makes bad ideas good.

A wild over simplification that ignores the fact that in practical senses putting all the weight on the hips isn't good either. There's a reason that cops are removing weight from their belts and shifting it to external carriers.

But you know better than all the people who have been through this same exact journey and wear this gear day and and day out for work.
View All Quotes

Ah yes. The uber unique use case that is different from every other use case that makes bad ideas good.

A wild over simplification that ignores the fact that in practical senses putting all the weight on the hips isn't good either. There's a reason that cops are removing weight from their belts and shifting it to external carriers.

But you know better than all the people who have been through this same exact journey and wear this gear day and and day out for work.

Telling me weight carried on shoulders is superior to carried on hips destroys your credibility. This conversation has ended.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:16:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#26]

For long duration hiking, sure. But moving a few rifle mags to your chest would be a big improvement in how well your gear works.

I'm having a hard time imagining what your needs are, or what operational constraints you're under, that you need all that ammo but also can't wear a PC or chest rig with your belt.
View All Quotes

4 mags reside on my pc. 240rds rifle cartridges total on my person and weapon. Again, I'm not wearing one without the other.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Most of my military buddies complain about weight hanging off their shoulders and want to move more to their belt line. Most of my cop buddies complain about weight on their hips and are desperate to move as much as policy allows to load bearing outer vests. It doesn't seem like there's a universal answer, other than everyone hates issued gear and policy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#28]

4 mags reside on my pc. 240rds rifle cartridges total on my person and weapon. Again, I'm not wearing one without the other.
View Quote

Ok. So basically you have a lot of mags and have decided to move some of them to your hips for easier weight carriage.

I see the logic there. But I would reconsider whether you really need that many mags. And if you do need that many mags, it's probably for defense of a static position, in which case they may not even need to be physically on your person at all.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PatriotNC:
Most of my military buddies complain about weight hanging off their shoulders and want to move more to their belt line. Most of my cop buddies complain about weight on their hips and are desperate to move as much as policy allows to load bearing outer vests. It doesn't seem like there's a universal answer, other than everyone hates issued gear and policy.
View Quote

I suspect a lot of that has to do with your military buddies tending to walk long distances with their gear in the woods or deserts, while your cop buddies are tending to get in and out of vehicles and other tight spaces common to urban settings where stuff easily snags on things.

One groups needs to carry a lot of stuff and stand around in it or walk with it a lot in wide open spaces, and the other group doesn't need to carry a lot of stuff or stand around and walk long distances but deals with cramped spaces. Weight vs volume concerns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Its because he has no idea what he's talking about but is holding on to "weight on the hips". Pointing out that saying that is a massive over simplification and context is necessary is apparently completely denying the concept.

The clueless can't handle context and nuance.

If weight went only on the hips, we would hike and ruck with waist packs. But we don't, we use backpacks that use properly distribute the weight to the hips.

Studies of police officers have found that back pain, hip pain, and injuries are significantly reduced when gear is removed from the hips and redistributed to external armor carriers.

Its not hips vs back. It's proper distribution (context and nuance).
View Quote

I suspect a lot of those injuries to police are because they spend so much time sitting in cars. Having loads of stuff bulging out of your belt probably forces you to sit at awkward back angles.

Maybe he's anticipating spending more time hiking around in the woods instead of being in and around vehicles?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

HSGI Slim Grip Belt Panel Liner
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]

ROCK6
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

HSGI Slim Grip Belt Panel Liner
View Quote

Two votes for that. It's on its way!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#36]

I suspect a lot of those injuries to police are because they spend so much time sitting in cars. Having loads of stuff bulging out of your belt probably forces you to sit at awkward back angles.

Maybe he's anticipating spending more time hiking around in the woods instead of being in and around vehicles?
View Quote

It has a lot more to do with the weight resting on the hips, and the load co pressing and decompressing the joints and nerves because of it.

I have 19 and 24 degree femoral junction deviations, and its from having (admittedly) retarded amounts of weight resting on hips.
And I spent the vast majority of time in that gear walking.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GlockLuvinRedleg:

It has a lot more to do with the weight resting on the hips, and the load co pressing and decompressing the joints and nerves because of it.

I have 19 and 24 degree femoral junction deviations, and its from having (admittedly) retarded amounts of weight resting on hips.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlockLuvinRedleg:

I'd be interested to know how the load compresses vertebrae while resting on your hips. So would pack manufacturers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd also be interested in knowing how putting more weight up high makes for a balanced load when pack manufacturers recommend loading a pack with heavier objects as low in the main compartment as possible, to help create a more balanced load.  Everyone here should be familiar with the term, "center of gravity".
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd also be interested in knowing how putting more weight up high makes for a balanced load when pack manufacturers recommend loading a pack with heavier objects as low in the main compartment as possible, to help create a more balanced load.  Everyone here should be familiar with the term, "center of gravity".
View Quote

I have never once heard of putting heavy stuff low in a pack. The advice I've always heard and followed is heavy goes up near your shoulder blades and as close to your back as possible.

A pack inherently creates a moment rotating down and away from your spine. Weight down low is worse and would require you to lean really far forward to compensate. Weight high and tight only requires a small lean forward.

Note that GLR made no mention of vertebrae in his post, he was talking about issues at his hip-femur joints.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#40]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:43:04 AM EDT
[#41]

I have never once heard of putting heavy stuff low in a pack. The advice I've always heard and followed is heavy goes up near your shoulder blades and as close to your back as possible.

A pack inherently creates a moment rotating down and away from your spine. Weight down low is worse and would require you to lean really far forward to compensate. Weight high and tight only requires a small lean forward.

Note that GLR made no mention of vertebrae in his post, he was talking about issues at his hip-femur joints.
View All Quotes

IIrc, leg and hip problems arise from carrying heavy loads over time using internal frame packs. I switched to an external frame pack and life became much easier.

To clarify my point on load balance. Heavier items should be close to the body, and relatively low. That would be on top of the sleeping bag which should fill the bottom of the pack. Having the weight high forces you to lean forward, makes traveling over rough ground more difficult, and is more stress on the body when recovering from  a near fall such as a trip. Skiing downhill in ungroomed and varied condition snow with a heavy load is difficult enough, I wouldn't have wanted to make it worse by placing weight higher.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#42]

View All Quotes

It's a distribution solution.  But yes, heavier weights in your pack should be closest to your back; that's more for maintaining a better center of gravity for balance.  Vertical location really depends on the weight itself.  To low, and you're spot on about the affects.  Too high and it will affect your balance as well.  I've found the best results for me are to to keep the heaviest weights right at or just below my shoulders.  

You're focusing on hips vs shoulders vs back.

Balance, distribution.

Its about balance. Not something as simple as hips vs shoulders. If lower is better, then you could carry stuff by your ankles and hip subloads would be in use.

With rucking and hiking where the gear is all on your back pulling you rearward, you want the weight distributed low.

This.  I think many are conflating the two, but they have different aspects and once you start to look at mission sets and operating procedures between LE and Military, there are other differences.  

I’ve done my share of learning here as well.  For regular backpacking, and I do a lot of longer-distance backpacking (100-150 miles), the recommended hip to shoulder ratios for weight-distribution are from 60-80% on the hip verse 20-40% on the shoulders.  That doesn’t necessarily cross over to an unsupported battle belt.  And yes, a 40 pound pack is going to carry and balance much more different than a 40 pound plate-carrier setup.  A pack will stabilize the weight in a more vertical position on your hips and the suspension is designed to keep it relatively stable.  An unsupported battled belt doesn't have that additional structure.  Yes, your hips can the majority of the weight load, but it also becomes a balance issue, especially when you are doing more active than static drills.

With LE type gear, assaulter type gear, you can split loads. A loaded carrier that isn't pulling solely to the rear isn't the same as a ruck or pack.

If you think a heavy belt load is good simply because it's on the hips, that's a good indicator that you haven't worn it for any periods of time

A standalone battle belt, plate-carrier rig, and assault pack are all going to wear differently, have different effects on balance and mobility, and their weight distributions will all be different.

What I’ve personally found is that you’ll hit a tipping point where your standalone belt becomes too heavy and cumbersome and difficult to wear for extended periods if doing dynamic activities (vice sitting in a vehicle).  Yes, you can add suspenders to help, but that becomes a different setup altogether IMHO.  Many who like a slim-downed belt often integrate with a plate-carrier.  I simply can’t (more like won’t) wear a pack without a proper hip-belt when hauling weights more than 20-25 pounds (more of an age thing).  So if I wear a belt with a pack, it’s a light pack.  

Lastly, there’s a difference in doing a leisurely patrol in the forest vice tight maneuvering in an urban/home setting as well as differences in how much your activities involve getting in and out of a vehicle.  A bulky, heavy belt will suck in the latter two.  Seriously, put on you kit and climb in and out of your vehicles window, home window; crawl under a vehicle; keeping a low profile, climb into the bed of a truck and over the other side; stay low and move under a large window to stay out of sight; low/high crawl; do a few 100 meter sprints; etc. etc. etc.  

I know it is cliché, but match your kit to your activity and train accordingly.  My belts have progressively become slimmer and lighter the more I train with realistic, dynamic drills involving more tight, home-defense settings.  I prefer that setup as I can always put a more capable plate-carrier on (verse a slick carrier) to increase my capabilities, but I train to match my kit to my missions.  You can use want you want as long as you’re comfortable with it and you actually train with it.  I have some kits that look great on Instagram or in the mirror, but suck after 30 minutes on a dynamic range.  YMMV

ROCK6

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#43]
From a carpenters viewpoint, a heavy tool belt sucks ass.
Climbing around, hauling materials, bending down and moving all day, really makes you change your tools real quick.

Certain jobs dont need certain tools, ready on hand. So they dont go in the bags. Sometimes its unavoidable and you're so loaded down with screws/nails and tools, that 8-10 hours later getting up from the couch is painful.

I've only been at it 6 years, and after some weeks i dont know how my body is going to make it 30 more

With that said, my battle belt, which is honestly a range toy for me, is kept pretty lightweight. After wearing bags all week, I dont want a heavy ass belt at the range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Cops tend to have all the weight on their belts

Military tends to have all their gear on their shoulders.

Its not about location, its about distribution between top and bottom, front and back, side to side.
View All Quotes

Cops tend to have all the weight on their belts

Military tends to have all their gear on their shoulders.

Its not about location, its about distribution between top and bottom, front and back, side to side.
It seems like it. I've not done enough movement under load to know, so the goal has been trying to learn from the pain of others.

I suspect a lot of that has to do with your military buddies tending to walk long distances with their gear in the woods or deserts, while your cop buddies are tending to get in and out of vehicles and other tight spaces common to urban settings where stuff easily snags on things.

One groups needs to carry a lot of stuff and stand around in it or walk with it a lot in wide open spaces, and the other group doesn't need to carry a lot of stuff or stand around and walk long distances but deals with cramped spaces. Weight vs volume concerns.

Yup. My gear has mainly been used for competition shooting, which is 2-4 minutes of activity between lots of standing around and some more mild activity in between. Most classes are pretty similar, at this point I think I've optimized for standing around pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Curious how adjustable the blue alpha belts are. I'm a 32/33 in jeans and just snagged a 36 for a really good price used. Looks like they have some adjustability. Wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat. Worst case blue alpha has a resize service.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:21:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brian01] [#46]
Originally Posted By lxranes:
Curious how adjustable the blue alpha belts are. I'm a 32/33 in jeans and just snagged a 36 for a really good price used. Looks like they have some adjustability. Wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat. Worst case blue alpha has a resize service.
View Quote

They have a sizing chart on their website that shows the range of adjustability for each size.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Gen 3 GLOCK 34 with Safariland/nub mods, KYWI pouches, Blue Alpha, kit has israeli compression bandage, celox rapid gauze and TQ on the front.
Nothing you guys ain't seen a million of in these threads.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:45:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lxranes] [#48]

They have a sizing chart on their website that shows the range of adjustability for each size.

View Quote

Yeah I had looked that up but wondered if there was anyone with real life experience with it. Guess I'll find out eventually. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BMCBreeder:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411851/E4BEF09F-E96E-4478-A138-32DCB3F290EC-1808957.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/411851/60369266-5EA0-4B1A-9856-B4E381A8669B-1808959.jpg

Gen 3 GLOCK 34 with Safariland/nub mods, KYWI pouches, Blue Alpha, kit has israeli compression bandage, celox rapid gauze and TQ on the front.
Nothing you guys ain't seen a million of in these threads.  
View Quote

Got any pictures with it layed flat? I've got a mc belt on the way and want to see how it will look with rg shit on it
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lxranes:

Yeah I had looked that up but wondered if there was anyone with real life experience with it. Guess I'll find out eventually. Thanks
View Quote
I used to be lot bigger, and I got a good 4" more of taking in room on my BA MOLLE belt than they said it would before it just hit a brick wall. Can't tell you for sure if your size 36 will work the same way, but I strongly suspect you'll be able to take it in at least 2" more and have it still work.
Page / 153
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top