[#1]
Originally Posted By Wash-Ar15:
is this still current issue??

yes but in ACU for the Army.

I guess the USMC use a Coyote version.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Old_Town:
Here is a pic of my woodland vest. This is good, cheap gear. Very well made.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/Old_Town/vest2.jpg

Nice setup. I like the Woodland Camo.

Link Posted: 3/14/2009 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Frens:
I guess the USMC use a Coyote version.

Still a few in the system, but not an issue item anymore.

Link Posted: 3/14/2009 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, it still is an ussue item (for the Marine Corps at least) depending on the unit.  Some units get all the new toys...  some don't.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Wolfcri:
Actually, it still is an ussue item (for the Marine Corps at least) depending on the unit.  Some units get all the new toys...  some don't.

Neither of the MEF CIFs issue them anymore someone who deploys, I tried to get one, but since I am issued a MTV I was told that they are "obsolete."
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it in the mail just a few moments ago and I can't get it around my fat stomach to zip up. I'm so far disappointed in this product.  I bought it based on a review that said it can fit up to 50". Maybe I'm doing something to make it not be able to reach around, who knows. Any help is appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/16/2009 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Lay your vest out like this

Follow the belt to one side or the other were it meets the front of the vest, that's were the adjustment can be made.

Pull the tab out and move the belt to the size you need. It is adjustable on both sides. The tab is connected to the front of the vest and hooks on the molle web on the belt, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 5:39:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H2O-Wolf] [#8]
Well it helped a little bit. Still can't get it to the point where it zips up without being crunched. But hey, it's motivation to lose weight. haha. Never knew I was THAT fat. It does however bring the zipper closer together so I can access stuff on the front easier. I'm guessing a chest rig would be better for a big guy?
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
High Dollar So-Tech FLC.

Link Posted: 3/17/2009 1:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By H2O-Wolf:
Got it in the mail just a few moments ago and I can't get it around my fat stomach to zip up. I'm so far disappointed in this product.  I bought it based on a review that said it can fit up to 50". Maybe I'm doing something to make it not be able to reach around, who knows. Any help is appreciated.

Did you adjust it out all the way?  With it fully adjusted out I can get this vest OVER my Spartan II and my winter carhart.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Did you adjust it out all the way?  With it fully adjusted out I can get this vest OVER my Spartan II and my winter carhart.

I adjusted it to the point of it getting scrunchy and it still won't fit. I'm not even that big of a guy I'm only 260 lbs but most if it is in the stomach.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know if there is a back panel that can be made to fit this??
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]

I adjusted it to the point of it getting scrunchy and it still won't fit. I'm not even that big of a guy I'm only 260 lbs but most if it is in the stomach.

I have the same situation, I have a 40" waist (now), and I can't get it to zip up. I'm going to look into making a 6" panel with a male zipper on one side, and a female on the other, to add those extra inches & allow me to zip it up. Otherwise, I have to leave it unzipped and just use the clips to fasten it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rict:

I have the same situation, I have a 40" waist (now), and I can't get it to zip up. I'm going to look into making a 6" panel with a male zipper on one side, and a female on the other, to add those extra inches & allow me to zip it up. Otherwise, I have to leave it unzipped and just use the clips to fasten it.

That's not a bad idea. But I'd like to have something that works right out of the box. Might have to look into the TT MAV cause I heard it fits large guys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to bump this thread but I just purchased one of these vest and wanted to make sure I got a legit USGI surplus and not a knock off.

Here are some pictures:

The only thing that made my question it were the "hand washing" instructions. I've never seen that part of the tag in the other pictures I have seen so it made me wonder.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone?

I would like to know before I do any modifications to it
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LRB_M1A:
Sorry to bump this thread but I just purchased one of these vest and wanted to make sure I got a legit USGI surplus and not a knock off.

Here are some pictures:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/eclipse100000/100_0006-1.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/eclipse100000/100_0007.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/eclipse100000/100_0009-1.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s45/eclipse100000/100_0008-1.jpg

The only thing that made my question it were the "hand washing" instructions. I've never seen that part of the tag in the other pictures I have seen so it made me wonder.

That is the real thing in DCU, now you just need to find some DCU pouches for it.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you

I am on the look out with ebay for the pouches. I am thinking of just getting some TT ones instead though, I've heard that they are one of the best.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#19]
I have a BHI chest rig that I bought, but was just issued the ACU FLC. I wasn't thrilled at first, but did some adjusting and now I'd like to pick up a 2nd one either in ACU or woodland for when I get out and have to turn mine back in. I was told by my XO that he picked up his woodland FLC, 4 mag 3x pouches, and some other pouches for <$30.

I'd like to pick up one in ACU since I'll have tons of ACU when I get out in a few years.
Here's my FLC as it's set up. It's set up chest rig style and I used the space on the chest to put an admin pouch.

I didn't like it at first, but then I learned how to set it up and do the chest rig, and I love it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#20]
TCBA_Joe, How do you put it on if it's all pouches across the front?
Or is there just enough space for the zipper?
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#21]
I set it up as a chest rig as oppossed to the vest.

If I could use my left foot right now I'd show you with pics, but i can't kneel so sorry.

I took the adjustable belt of of it completely. Then zipped it up and fed the back of the belt (with the MOLLE) through the front. It now clips in the rear and the front zipper has no purpose because it can not open. It slips over my head like a plate carier, not around back like a vest. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned this way of wearing it.

The MM admin pouch actually goes across the middle of the rig right under my neck. There's just enough webbing on either side to secure it.

I like it better this way, it adds even more usable space and it wears better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#22]
If anyone missed out on the Cheaperthandirt deal, here's another.

http://www.ghilliesuits.com/molledesertcolorloadbearingvest.aspx
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I lucked into an unissued SDS Woodland RACK for $16 today, the good one with the tan anti-IR Fastexes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 1:37:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Got one on the way from Sportsmans Guide. Pictures and reviews will be on the way.

I need some more Mag pouches though.
Especially some 9mm pouches.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I prob could use 2 to play around with: one set up as vest, one as rig. Esp at $7/ each, II'd just like woodland and ACU, not tan desert ones.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Just ordered one from SG, $21.45 shipped.  I am going to use it to hang some extra pouches on.  Question...Do you guys put this on over your hydration bladder / pack?  Has anyone mounted a bladder carrier on the back of theirs?

Thanks

R/
Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Haven't mounted a bladder carrier, we just all wear a camelback over it.The ocassional guy wears one under it, but it tends to not work as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 4:22:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#28]
Originally Posted By bmyk:
Just ordered one from SG, $21.45 shipped.  I am going to use it to hang some extra pouches on.  Question...Do you guys put this on over your hydration bladder / pack?  Has anyone mounted a bladder carrier on the back of theirs?

Thanks

R/
Mike

I've looked at the Spec-Ops HUMP and I think if you messed with the straps it would work pretty easily. I have a feeling that might be what it was designed for since it's an odd design and doesn't come with shoulder straps or (i believe) MOLLE.

Also, here's the back of my FLC so you can see how it works as a chest rig vs. vest
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#29]
After looking at the pics, I am thinking I will just put a couple of three mag pouches and a triple pistol mag pouch on it and use it as a simple chest rig..
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#30]
This set up as a chest rig looks like an awesome way to go. The people earlier that said they were XL and couldn't get it to zip should consider this. Thanks for that option. Now, is anyone using this for a  M14 or FAL rig? I'm looking for pouches to have at least 6 mags rifle and 2-4 pistol on hand. I like the fastex route as opposed to velcro.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Rino451:

Just ordered 2 of those, wish they had ACU for cheap..........anyone?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Vamped:
Originally Posted By Rino451:

Just ordered 2 of those, wish they had ACU for cheap..........anyone?

The reason for the price of the tan FLC is just quantity. The army bought a ton of them but didn't really use them. There aren't a lot of woodland ones out there, and the ACU hasn't been surplused yet. Give them a few years we might be lucky to have them hit the open market, but good luck getting one surplus.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#33]
i assume it was never made in black...  good fine tho
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got my 2 today......very nice vests......I fitted mine and it fit good, I did cut the lower strap, but zips up fine.....fitted my son's as well, did have to adjust it smaller, and also cut the front straps........high quality stuff here!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 8:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alterocks] [#35]
alright... i ordderd 5 from ghilliesuites.com  and recieved them today.. Im 5'10" 210 lbs and i can BARELY zip this up.   i understand i am overwieght but i have friends in the military bigger than me. is there an adjustment i missed??? my dad thinks that they screwed up a shipment and thats why they are so cheap.   I am a complete noob to the whole chest rig vest thing so describe things  to me like i'm a total idiot so i know what your talking about.

nevermind i found it earlier in the   thread
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Did you adjust the T-straps? These things can get pretty big. I've seen some BIG NG guys wearing these.

Also, they're cheap because there are a s&%$ ton of  them floating around. There were a lot made but not issued. During the ACU transition they were not in common usage, and by the time the FLC was in use, they were made in universal pattern. There's nothing wrong with them, don't worry.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
Did you adjust the T-straps? These things can get pretty big. I've seen some BIG NG guys wearing these.

Also, they're cheap because there are a s&%$ ton of  them floating around. There were a lot made but not issued. During the ACU transition they were not in common usage, and by the time the FLC was in use, they were made in universal pattern. There's nothing wrong with them, don't worry.

yeah i found the T-thing, its a very innovative way of adjusment, i didnt think anything was wrong with them it was my dad... i'm well aware of supply and demand... i would have prefered a black or ACU but tan is just fine for $7.50
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Alterocks:

yeah i found the T-thing, its a very innovative way of adjusment, i didnt think anything was wrong with them it was my dad... i'm well aware of supply and demand... i would have prefered a black or ACU but tan is just fine for $7.50

Try rit dye. Check this thread, a guy got a very deep OD using rit dye, so you should more likely than not be able to get it to black. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=277218

As for ACU... you can do what I'm doing and wait. I figure by the time I get out of the military there will be surplus ACU. I also wouldn't mind the woodland one though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Setting this up chest rig style works great. If it is uncomfortable vest style, i highly suggest reversing the waist band. For larger folks, i would think this would be the only comfortable way to wear it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I have the RACK vest and I want to know at what level are you supposed to have it? Above belly button, below belly button, waist line, etc.

I adjusted mine to where it feels comfortable on me (little above waist) and hopefully that is right haha
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Hendricks5150:
I have the RACK vest and I want to know at what level are you supposed to have it? Above belly button, below belly button, waist line, etc.

I adjusted mine to where it feels comfortable on me (little above waist) and hopefully that is right haha

Above but not all the way up your armpits..  Its a chest rig, not a belly rig.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#42]
If you plan on using this for long term I would have the stitches reinforced.  Most of it is single stitching around the seam tapes and those will give in.  You can also have somene stitch some webbingon the back to mount a camelbak more simply.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Stupid question––when using the zipper on the front, do you not use the buckle at the waist.  Seems to be impossible to zip it up with the buckle closed.

Must be an either or, right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Couple questions for you guys,

First, can a hydration pack be attached to the back?
Also, for those that dyed them, does the dye affect velcro at all (im not sure if these vests have any, but i found some pouches on sale that also need to be dyed)

i am looking at getting one of these, and got some dye to make it more MN-friendly

thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm sure there's a way to attach a bladder. That said, I keep it as a seperate unit so that I don't have to doff my fighting load to fill my bladder.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm sure there's a way to attach a bladder. That said, I keep it as a seperate unit so that I don't have to doff my fighting load to fill my bladder.

are you still able to attach the sternum strap on a camelback if worn over top?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I am with mine, I've never had an issue. Granted, I haven't worn my current gear with armor  so that may change things if that's what the issue is. But if not wearing armor, you* should have no problem.

*disclaimer, I'm not sure how it will work with larger people, I'm 5' 7" 185lbs, 36" waist.

Like I said before, there is probably a way to do it if you need to. I'd look at the spec-ops HUMP, which looks like it could clip to the rings for the straps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I just got 2 of these from ghilliesuits.com and for $7 apiece, I am very pleased (unfortunately shipping was $12.50!). I was planning on getting a Tactical Tailor MAV, but I think that I will stick with these for now (I am not a tacticool operator, so I am not going to wear this rig in combat). I did try to dye them and that did not turn out well. Unfortunately, I could only find the dark green RIT dye in powder and not liquid. One of the vests did not change color at all and the other did darken some. I also dyed 4 of the issue M4 double mag pouches in desert and they darkened just like the one vest did. I may try to find some of the liquid RIT and try it again at a later time. Still, I am very pleased witht the vests. Thanks for the tip on the good deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Alterocks:
i assume it was never made in black...  good fine tho

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=17640&TabID=2000&Sale=1&CatID=

This might do, if you have to have a MOLLE black option.

Different but Black
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#50]
just ordered one.  Thanks for thread!
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top