Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2007 7:47:58 PM EDT
I'm looking for the best all around camo for the AZ desert.  Need something that blends in well.   You guys have anything that works?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Multicam, duh....

before I jump on the multicam band wagon(and pay $100 for BDU's and a jacket if I can find any), is there anywhere I can find pictures of different patterns suitable to print out to take on an outting with me?

It may just be the store I go to, but the Army Navy Surplus has multicam BDUs for $17 each (top & bottom). I was thinking "why is ACU and WOODLAND higher than Multicam"... But desided to keep my mouth shut!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Multicam, duh....

before I jump on the multicam band wagon(and pay $100 for BDU's and a jacket if I can find any), is there anywhere I can find pictures of different patterns suitable to print out to take on an outting with me?

Go here
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
i dont have money to afford multicam

not to change subject or pick on you, but...really?  BDU.com has the cheaper propper stuff for $30 for the shirt or pants. thats about standered price for 'bdu's' no matter what color ( well good ones anyways ) h
i will have to check that out thanks alot...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Multicam. - Propper is very affordable and the Tru-Spec isn't bad either. Plus, there is more gear and more gear coming out everyday in Multicam you can pretty much match kit with just about everything.  

German Desert Flecktarn - Hey, Multicam isn't for everyone and this is America so freedom of choice is good.  Although when its Mad Max SHTF we'll have trouble ID'ing you as a Arfcommer.  Plus, the Chinese have ripped off flecktarn and using uniforms pretty similiar. Go take a look at this website:  www.flecktarn.co.uk/gallery.html

They sell a ton of German flecktarn stuff thats new and surplus and they have some cool pictures for you get a good idea of how the stuff works.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Multicam. - Propper is very affordable and the Tru-Spec isn't bad either. Plus, there is more gear and more gear coming out everyday in Multicam you can pretty much match kit with just about everything.  

German Desert Flecktarn - Hey, Multicam isn't for everyone and this is America so freedom of choice is good.  Although when its Mad Max SHTF we'll have trouble ID'ing you as a Arfcommer.  Plus, the Chinese have ripped off flecktarn and using uniforms pretty similiar. Go take a look at this website:  www.flecktarn.co.uk/gallery.html

They sell a ton of German flecktarn stuff thats new and surplus and they have some cool pictures for you get a good idea of how the stuff works.

Thanks for the Flecktarn site.  I'll be going to a couple surplus stores tomorrow checking for bandanas in different patterns.  I'll take some pictures if I can make it out friday.  Thanks all for your help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]
so I took out some different stuff yesterday: A multicam 'patrol cap', a desert digital boonie, a khaki boonie, three color desert BDU pants, and woodland bandana.  The desert digital worked best on the ground, while the multicam and woodland worked best on the foliage.  Here are some pictures:

Some of the scenery:

Some of the rock colors:

And now for some camo pattern comparisons:

The close up:

From a distance:

Some more:

What do you guys think?  I'm thinking either adding some green krylon to the desert digital, or getting the multicam real dirty.  Let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you live in Laveen?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe try some arid Cadpat? The Canadian desert camo is like Marpat, but a bit less 'dull' than Marpat to my eyes.
Check it out

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You may want to take a look at DESERT TIGER as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do you live in Laveen?

No sir.  I live in Phoenix, this was out by my girls place around maricopa
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Old Rhodesian and South African patterns work well.

Years ago I was given a set of South African night camo. It was sort of a pink and brown pattern. Very cool stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The Marines made a great choice for desert camo. Add some contrast to it via spray paint and it should do well at longer distances, already good stuff for close distance disruption.

Make sure and wash it in UV pulling detergent if going after critters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
wow look at your pictures MULTICAM FTW
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Rhodesian

South African night/urban. Can't tell from this picture but the stuff I had was light pinkish and brown.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
wow look at your pictures MULTICAM FTW

One thing I forgot to add.  Multicam looks GREAT on camera, but really green in person.  A lot greener than I originally had thought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm telling ya with that red rock German Desert Flecktarn all the way.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to BDU.com

They have multicam made by Propper for $29.99

Linky:

www.bdu.com/F545414377.html

Trousers are the same price.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe try a Ghillie suit, AZ has lots of different terrain and plenty of varying colors, least ways to hide the best would be to wear your surroundings on your person.  The BDU's in those pictures are way too easy see.  Tactical to practical.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
What about Swiss Alpenflage ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Maybe try a Ghillie suit, AZ has lots of different terrain and plenty of varying colors, least ways to hide the best would be to wear your surroundings on your person.  The BDU's in those pictures are way too easy see.  Tactical to practical.

I've started one, but I'm still looking for something to hike around in.  I know I not going to be able to get around very well in a ghillie suit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I've started one, but I'm still looking for something to hike around in.  I know I not going to be able to get around very well in a ghillie suit.

LOL  I gotcha,!   The only camo's I have are realtree hardwoods which seem to work fine for stalking even in AZ's heat, mine are lightweight so I haven't sweated bullets yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top