Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

ALICE Gear Setups (Page 1 of 23)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Posted: 2/5/2007 10:10:30 AM EDT
I am setting up an ALICE Rig and wanted to see different ways to set one up.  Let's see some pics of your ALICE rigs.

Link Posted: 2/6/2007 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/6/2007 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Frens - what hydration system do you have hooked up there? Nice set-up BTW.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
that hydaration system is made by Source (Israel)
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Frens gear is what I modeled my last setup on.

I used the LBV on Active Duty and never was really satisfied with the arrangement, but after seeing that pic I knew what I wanted to do.

Great pic, Alice gear is cheap and plentiful.

check out www.stubbygear.com for their alice gear.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Let's keep this going, anybody else have pics of their ALICE Rigs?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By 234747:

Heck Yes!

I'll get a pic of my deuce setup tonight!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By markm:

Heck Yes!

I'll get a pic of my deuce setup tonight!

You lose your camera MarkM?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Going_Commando:
You lose your camera MarkM?

No, Man.  I got it out, but there were no batteries in it.  I finished my beer and went to bed.  I'll get it done tonight!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Frens-two questions:
1.  How did you attach the hydration carrier to the vest?
2.  What do you use the grenade pouches on the vest for?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By aswrg7:
Frens-two questions:
1.  How did you attach the hydration carrier to the vest?
2.  What do you use the grenade pouches on the vest for?

1. I simply put the hydration carrier over the vest the same way you would wear a pack. The hydration carrier' shoulder straps are kept in place by using those straps you see on the LBV's shoulder pads (see pic below)

I've used some paracord to keep the bottom of the carrier in place.

This solution works great but I'm going to try a different configuration:

I'm going to put the carrier' strap on those attachment that you can see on the rear of the LBV's shoulder pads...see the pic below...you got it?

2. I use the frag pouches to carry stuff like earplugs, compass, etc
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the base set up:

Here's the quick release optional sub loads. Safariland 6004 with EMDOM quick release adapter.  And an Eagle Industries Quad mag thigh rig.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking rig there markm! I am planning on setting up an ALICE rig based off of the Enhanced LBV since MOLLE is too damn popular for my liking, not to mention expensive for stuff made in the USA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Nice looking rig there markm! I am planning on setting up an ALICE rig based off of the Enhanced LBV since MOLLE is too damn popular for my liking, not to mention expensive for stuff made in the USA.

I never realized it, but I think that's the reason I don't lust after MOLLE gear.

I've been thinking about getting a SAW pouch to replace the dump pouch. It's too big and the MOLLE attachment doesn't interface well with the LC3 belt. There's a pistol mag pouch on the right side of my butt pouch. I put it there so the mags wouldn't poke me in the fat when I bend over to the right.

I've decided to go to the LBV setup pictured above. It never occurred to me to secure a hydration pack to the back. Now that LBV has been phased out of vogue it's cheap.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is mine.  I took TI's advice and removed all the clips  and went with 550 cord.   A also switch between 4 mag pouches and 2.  I plan on just staying with 2 for now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I have complete 1st,2nd and 3rd line set up in molle, but, still hang onto my alice gear.

Y suspenders.

I use the H suspenders, balances out the load much better.

Same used during my stay in the service.

TG

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Going_Commando] [#16]
Just bought an LBV on ebay! Now for the belt and various extra pouches!

ALICE FOREVER!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]

I tried a few Molle set ups, and it just never was right.  The think I like about the Deuce gear is that I can go prone quite comforably with it, and with my torso completely on the ground.  Although it doesn't look like that would be the case, the triple mag pouches kinda spread apart and you can get completely flat on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
markm, what sort of buttpack is that? I've never seen one with the molded back like the one in your picture.

p.s. your gear colors don't match tsk tsk
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By sic_ness:
markm, what sort of buttpack is that? I've never seen one with the molded back like the one in your picture.

It's a BLACKHAWK!!!  $11.88 plus shipping on clearance!  I bought and OD one as well just cuz the damned thing was so cheap!!

p.s. your gear colors don't match tsk tsk

Again this goes back to the butt pack.  They didn't make it in TAN, so the closest thing was ACU camo.  And there are no USGI TAN mag pouches.  I ordered tan ones, but they were cheap and crappy compared to real USGI.

So I had to go FUNCTION OVER FASHION.  I've logged at least a dozen hours in the desert hiking and shooting with this set up.  It's by far the most functional and comfortable set up I've ever had.  Classic Deuce gear! w00t!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]

It's a BLACKHAWK!!!  $11.88 plus shipping on clearance!  I bought and OD one as well just cuz the damned thing was so cheap!!

Where did you buy it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#21]
here's my set up

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By aswrg7:

Where did you buy it?

On blackhawk's website.  Looks like they reduced the discount a bit though.  They're now showing them for $22 each.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, my enhanced LBV came today. I tried it on, but haven't gotten it fitted quite yet. It seemed quite comfortable. I still need to get a web belt, pouches and am trying to decide on going with a pack or a buttpack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Well, my enhanced LBV came today. I tried it on, but haven't gotten it fitted quite yet. It seemed quite comfortable. I still need to get a web belt, pouches and am trying to decide on going with a pack or a buttpack.

the hydration pack is nomore on my LBV, it's on the ALICE pack frame.

I still have the buttpack and I can also wear my Spec Ops THE Pack without any kind of problem
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Readmenace] [#25]
Mark: What's the buttpack you got there?

EDIT: Somehow managed to miss that answer...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#27]

My Vietnam setup - combination of old M1956 and M1967 gear, not shown is the M1917 hip holster for my 1911 and the M1956 pistol pouch.; I also have a Colt stamped M3 bipod coming in on a canvas pouch with space for the cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread guys- Keep em coming! I am also going full ALICE- I just need another couple items and I'll be set.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:06:43 AM EDT
[#29]
What do you guys think about the Blackhawk ALICE gear, especially their load bearing suspenders, belt pad, and mag pouches?  This looks pretty sick to me, even though it's pretty expensive.  www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2827&d=
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Frens:

I still have the buttpack and I can also wear my Spec Ops THE Pack without any kind of problem

How did you set-up of the hydro pouch on the ALICE pack frame, Frens? Did you remove the pack, or just somehow add the hydro pack to the whole pack/frame rig?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By KBL:

How did you set-up of the hydro pouch on the ALICE pack frame, Frens? Did you remove the pack, or just somehow add the hydro pack to the whole pack/frame rig?

the hydration pouch sits between my back and the pack' frame. it doesnt bother me at all.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Have you tryed the H.U.M.P. setup by SPEC-OPS. It is designed for the alice pack as well as the LBE & LBV Setups.

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Whose Canteen covers are you using for your rig?
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Who makes those canteen pouches on your rig?
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By KBL:

the hydration pouch sits between my back and the pack' frame. it doesnt bother me at all.

img239.imageshack.us/img239/6843/alice1ri7.jpg
img66.imageshack.us/img66/9152/alice2ym1.jpg

That's interesting. I've always wondered if the bladder would be subject to rupturing if too much pressure was placed on it. With the bladder sandwiched between the weight of the pack and the frame against the back, it looked like this could cause a problem. But, it seems that you've proven that it will work.

Grazie, Frens.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#36]

My alice stuff.  Leftover from days in national gaurd scout platoon.  I got issued regular alice stuff that we kept for "garison" and then my section all used personally purchased lbv in the field.  The brass didn't like it, and the 11bs all thought we were assholes, but then for the most part we were outta sight outta mind, so we got away with it.  Scrapped the canteens for a camel back (not pictured because it got destroyed).  

I really preferred the lbv over the suspender type setup.  I thought the lbv was a big improvement at the time.  I use zip ties to hold the ammo carriers and it seemed to work pretty well.  butt pack uses clips so I can take it off if it's not needed.

scouts out.

Link Posted: 3/2/2007 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you ues the zip ties instead of alice clips because of noise or beacuse Alice clips just plain suck? Neat Idea, I think I will be using it on my LBV setup. I can't wait to get this setup finished. Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Did you ues the zip ties instead of alice clips because of noise or beacuse Alice clips just plain suck? Neat Idea, I think I will be using it on my LBV setup. I can't wait to get this setup finished. Fun stuff.

We were recon scouts for a mech infantry unit, so we were in and out of humvees a lot.  The clips tended to dig in.  My section leader used 550 cord.  I figured zip ties would work better and would tighten up easier.  You'd be amazed at how much weight the clips add.  I figure every little bit helps.  He was pretty picky about noise, I think minimizing the likelyhood of metal to metal contact as much as possible helped.    

A bag of black zip ties is cheap.  I figured in the winter when it was cold out they might crack and break off, but they held up really good.  I attached the ties with buckle side down.  Worked for me.  

Good luck with your gear setup.      
Link Posted: 3/7/2007 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I see others using the USGI M-12 Holsters here.  I tried using an old Safariland with an STI 1911 and a single leg strap.  It pulled my alice rig around my waist when I transitioned to the sidearm.  

More Pics -

I will have pics of my rig up in a day or so.
Link Posted: 3/7/2007 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Currently, I use my ALICE rig for my AK gear. I have a TT MAV for my AR gear, but I still prefer the LBE. Its what I was raised on in the military so I guess I go with what I know.
Link Posted: 3/8/2007 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Here's the base set up:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2597&iGalleryUnq=924&iImageUnq=52125

Here's the quick release optional sub loads. Safariland 6004 with EMDOM quick release adapter.  And an Eagle Industries Quad mag thigh rig.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2597&iGalleryUnq=924&iImageUnq=52126

Mark - who made / wheredja get the harness? I'm looking for one in Khaki.
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Javelin:

Mark - who made / wheredja get the harness? I'm looking for one in Khaki.

I got the belt and Y suspenders from Brigade (actiongear.com/).  I also ordered the tan mag pouches, but they were crap compared to real USGI.  I just use them for storing mags in my shooting tote.

The suspenders and belt appear to be USGI.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#43]
No pictures, just observations on what I did.

I started with Alice equipment in the Army.  It was ok - because the other guys were burdened with the same equipment - I kept mine in better repair.

When the malice (plastic) clips came out, they were far superior to the Alice clips and I did retrofitting.

When the hydration pack concept came out, it was far superior to carrying a couple of canteens, both in utility and volume.

Then, I noticed that 6 m16 mags could fit into a canteen cover.  Hmmmm.  Now, I would have space for those extra mags!
Link Posted: 3/20/2007 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#44]
You can run over camelbacks bladders in a vehicle and not rupture the bladder.  Don't ask how I know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#45]
got my small ALICE pack
as with my large ALICE pack, I'm going to put fastex buckles everywhere

Link Posted: 4/2/2007 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#46]
BTT for an awesome and informative thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2007 10:25:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 234747] [#47]
I guess since I started this post, its about time I got some pictures posted of my rig

Left to Right on a set of USGI Y suspenders and pistol belt

Emdom 604 pouch
2 - Tactical Tailor Double 30 Round Mag Pouches
CSM - Dump Pouch
USGI Butt Pack
USGI 1 qt. Canteen
Gerber LMF Knife
Bianchi M12 Holster - STI Trojan 1911
1 - Tactical Tailor Double 30 Round Mag Pouch

XM77E1 Carbine
M72 LAW - Inert
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#48]

I guess since I started this post, its about time I got some pictures posted of my rig

i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/jack8106/ARFCom001.jpg

Left to Right on a set of USGI Y suspenders and pistol belt

Emdom 604 pouch
2 - Tactical Tailor Double 30 Round Mag Pouches
CSM - Dump Pouch
USGI Butt Pack
USGI 1 qt. Canteen
Gerber LMF Knife
Bianchi M12 Holster - STI Trojan 1911
1 - Tactical Tailor Double 30 Round Mag Pouch

XM77E1 Carbine
M72 LAW - Inert

Damn man, that shorty CAR is kickass sweet!

BTW, nice choice on gear. Even though we have very elaborate setups available today to choose from if we wish, I still find the belt and suspender means of carrying gear the best for me. I still have a couple of ALICE rigs around. But I admit I have chosen to move to a duty belt (worn w/ padded belt) with belt worn pouches and a set of Battle Lab low profile suspenders (also have a set of Blackhawk). You can carry a considerable load on those but unlike with a full vest or  plate carrier, the simple belt and suspenders remain cool. I simply cannot tolerate those vests and other systems that cover most of your torso when the weather hits 85 degrees or warmer. It will flat out kick your ass. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#49]
What do you guys think would happen in the US ended up in a jungle war again? Would they try and issue the OTV and all those fancy vests or would the send the troops back out with ALICE gear or some form of Molle belt and suspenders?
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks charging_handle, I just got my Model 609 finished up and registered with uncle sam.

I too have to admit that I have been through 6 or 7 of the modern setups before I ever tried the ALICE gear, but when I did, I loved it immediately.  It is comfortable, while providing me with more mobility and free range of motion.  I had an eagle plater carrier, and while it was pretty "cool", it was bulky and restrictive, not to mention very hot, even in the winter.

My SHTF rig is the ALICE, which I admit may be a tad bit overloaded for a KISS setup.  I feel naked with less than 6 rifle mags and 4 pistol mags.  My main rig is a SKD Tactical Eagle Chest Rig in Multicam - with a Emdom 604 pouch and a TT Strobe Pouch on the right hand side.  I can hold 8 but I run 4 rifle mags, and 4 pistol mags in it to keep things light.  It stays in the truck with the 609

It is hard to say about a jungle war.  We are in Iraq, in the desert and it gets pretty hot from what I hear, and look at those rigs.  The military will probably stick to whatever they can pack full of ceramic armor, and load down with modular pouches, ie OTV's, LBV's, etc.  I like the way the Rangers and Deltas did it in the early 90's with an ALICE rig over their body armor.  Seems simple, yet effective

sorry for the book
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
ALICE Gear Setups (Page 1 of 23)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top