User Panel

Armor Plates (Page 12 of 12)
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mikehikes:
I would say 200 per plate would be the most I could do in the next year. I am behind enemy lines in CT and pinching every penny to get the hell out.

I am hoping that someone has come up with a steel plate that will defeat higher velocity rounds. Specifically m193.
View Quote

Then you have even bigger problems with your quest to obtain armor. I didn't notice your state until you pointed it out.

Congratulations. You are in the only state in the country where it is illegal for you to purchase armor via mail order. No reputable company is going to sell it to you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Layer60:

Then you have even bigger problems with your quest to obtain armor. I didn't notice your state until you pointed it out.

Congratulations. You are in the only state in the country where it is illegal for you to purchase armor via mail order. No reputable company is going to sell it to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I would say 200 per plate would be the most I could do in the next year. I am behind enemy lines in CT and pinching every penny to get the hell out.

I am hoping that someone has come up with a steel plate that will defeat higher velocity rounds. Specifically m193.

I am very well versed in the legal aspects that pertain to my current state. As a mail order would be illegal that will not be happening. But we can still have armor, you just have to know the ropes to do so legally. I appreciate your concern though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
These still good to go?

http://highcomsecurity.com/collections/plates/products/guardian-4sas-7
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought a set of medium/Large Sapi lvl 4s from bulletproofme.com. Ordered tuesday, got them thursday...Fedex won't leave on a front door.

Happy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]

I am very well versed in the legal aspects that pertain to my current state. As a mail order would be illegal that will not be happening. But we can still have armor, you just have to know the ropes to do so legally. I appreciate your concern though.
View All Quotes

Ok, as long as you know. Wouldn't want you to end up getting in trouble because of some stupid state law.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Carrier-Soft-Armor-Backer-Kevlar-p/amr.104.htm

Found this....
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone make bigger plates then the 12x10? For us big boys? Also are there then carriers out there for the bigger plates?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By schaffer:
These still good to go?

View Quote

With a coupon code, they're hard to beat at their price. The bulletproofme.com plates weigh a little less for the same plate size, but they cost a little more too. Just something to consider.

I have two PCs and actually have the guardians as the rear plates, and the bulletproofmes in the front, the mags and stuff more than offset to still make the front heavier, but it helps to level things a litlte.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Does anyone make bigger plates then the 12x10? For us big boys? Also are there then carriers out there for the bigger plates?
View Quote

Several do. 11x14 is the largest standard for ESAPI XL.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SethP:

With a coupon code, they're hard to beat at their price. The bulletproofme.com plates weigh a little less for the same plate size, but they cost a little more too. Just something to consider.

I have two PCs and actually have the guardians as the rear plates, and the bulletproofmes in the front, the mags and stuff more than offset to still make the front heavier, but it helps to level things a litlte.
View All Quotes
These still good to go?

Just ordered two single curve 10x12 plates for 223 bucks with code.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Saw those.  Would like to get the Level IV instead of the III.

I'll check out that site.
View Quote

Stand Alone level IV
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Survivalist-Dave:

Stand Alone level IV
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Survivalist-Dave:
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Saw those.  Would like to get the Level IV instead of the III.

I'll check out that site.

Stand Alone level IV

Um... no.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

These still good to go?

Where do you get the coupon code?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I used the code armor, someone posted it somewhere on here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

IIRC there at least used to be a code "USAMADE" that was good for a pretty serious discount.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

IIRC there at least used to be a code "USAMADE" that was good for a pretty serious discount.
View All Quotes

mine went from 298 to 223 with the code 'armor'.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

I ordered some with their black Friday code, which was the same amount off as the "armor" code. They were delivered yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:45:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TexasTA:

I ordered some with their black Friday code, which was the same amount off as the "armor" code. They were delivered yesterday.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexasTA:

Got mine yesterday, great quality
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#19]
So I don't see it, but are the plates from BPM.com NIJ certified?

Edit: speaking about the level 3/4 ICW plates.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
View Quote

Of course they are.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#21]
Originally Posted By Bunker_Boots:

Of course they are.
View All Quotes

Of course they are.

Sorry, should have clarified.  I was looking at the III/IV ICW plates.  I see the L 4 stand alones are, and the SAPI claim to be .mil equivalent.

And the Level 4 plates say they passed the certification, not ARE certified.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:08:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghost-1] [#22]
Ok have been on HighComs website and I am little confused. Can someone explain to me the difference between the single curve full cut, the single curve shooters cut and the multi curve shooter cut? I see they all say they are 10x12 but then on the sight they say that the HighCom 10” x 12” shooters cut and multi curve shooters cut plates are considered nominal and the actual measurement is 9.5” x 11.5. I had a set of the multi curve plates and got rid of them due to them being to small as they were not actually 10x12.

I am use to running SAPI/ESAPI plates that are large and measure 10x13¼ in. Yes I know they standard 10x12 is the large size plate when buying on the commercial market and will not be the same as the .MIL issued large SAPI/ESAPI plate
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Most plates I've seen are just shy or 10x12.  That 10x13 you mention was likely supposed to be a 11x13 in the civilian market.

Plates are like lumbar, in that a 2x4 isn't quite the size you get, either.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Sorry, should have clarified.  I was looking at the III/IV ICW plates.  I see the L 4 stand alones are, and the SAPI claim to be .mil equivalent.

View All Quotes

Of course they are.

You might have better luck talking to them directly.
As far as the NIJ website is concerned, BPM (ArmorUp LP) is not listed as certified by NIJ, though they may be listed under a different name.
I know that they carry plates from other brand manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:12:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bunker_Boots] [#25]
Originally Posted By Ghost-1:
Ok have been on HighComs website and I am little confused. Can someone explain to me the difference between the single curve full cut, the single curve shooters cut and the multi curve shooter cut? I see they all say they are 10x12 but then on the sight they say that the HighCom 10” x 12” shooters cut and multi curve shooters cut plates are considered nominal and the actual measurement is 9.5” x 11.5. I had a set of the multi curve plates and got rid of them due to them being to small as they were not actually 10x12.

I am use to running SAPI/ESAPI plates that are large and measure 10x13¼ in. Yes I know they standard 10x12 is the large size plate when buying on the commercial market and will not be the same as the .MIL issued large SAPI/ESAPI plate
View Quote

Yes, the HighCom4SAS-7 plates rated as 10" x 12" are actually 9.5" x 10.5".
A full cut is basically your "fully rectangular" plate.
A shooter's cut is where you have the top corners clipped so that when you present your weapon, they don't dig into your shoulders under your clavicles.
A single curve is where the plate is curved to meet the shape of your body laterally.
A multi-curve is where it is curved both laterally and horizontally along the middle axis, with a third curve usually made on the bottom of the plate to "wrap around" your body.
This becomes very useful especially for the back plate, as a single curve tends to stick out and makes you look like a hunch back if you wear your PC under a shirt or jacket (well, wearing a PC will make you look like a hunchback regardless).

Check the BPM website for photos comparing single-curve and multi-curve.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#26]

A shooter's cut is where you have the top corners clipped so that when you present your weapon, they don't dig into your shoulders under your clavicles.
A single curve is where the plate is curved to meet the shape of your body laterally.
A multi-curve is where it is curved both laterally and horizontally along the middle axis, with a third curve usually made on the bottom of the plate to "wrap around" your body.
This becomes very useful especially for the back plate, as a single curve tends to stick out and makes you look like a hunch back if you wear your PC under a shirt or jacket (well, wearing a PC will make you look like a hunchback regardless).

View All Quotes

Ok thanks. That is what I was thinking myself but wanted to double check with some you guys here. I tried the 4SAS-7 plates and due to them measuring 9.5"x10.5" they did not really work for me. I need plates that are really 10x12.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]

As far as the NIJ website is concerned, BPM (ArmorUp LP) is not listed as certified by NIJ, though they may be listed under a different name.
View All Quotes

Of course they are.

Yeah, I broke down and sent them an email.  Would be nice if their website was a little clearer as well. I'm sure it's lost in the clutter.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah, I broke down and sent them an email.  Would be nice if their website was a little clearer as well. I'm sure it's lost in the clutter.
View All Quotes

Of course they are.

Yeah, they have awesome customer service and product (not all of them up to date though) but their website does leave a lot of room to be desired.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah they have some nice stuff but not the plates I am looking for and the SAPI style LVL 3 ICW plates cost more than the LVL 4 stand alone alones. I found a good deal on a set of 10x12 operator cut multi curve plates brand new. Even with the multi curve they still measure 10x12 like I need them to be.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah they have some nice stuff but not the plates I am looking for and the SAPI style LVL 3 ICW plates cost more than the LVL 4 stand alone alones. I found a good deal on a set of 10x12 operator cut multi curve plates brand new. Even with the multi curve they still measure 10x12 like I need them to be.
View Quote

Spill the beans buddy, where?

Level IV are always the cheapest plates....
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Sent you an email man, let me know how it pans out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:09:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Swat_dude] [#32]

Edited post. Looking for multi hit level 3 over single hit level 4.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By survivorman:
SKD sold level 4 plates by BAE in the past that were cheap and light.......mine are mediums and weigh in at 5.3 a piece

Edited post. Looking for multi hit level 3 over single hit level 4.

Why not an inexpensive multi-hit level 4 for $145? This has been posted here numerous times...

http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-4-Stand-Alone.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Couldn't help notice your avatar and just wanted to confirm. Did you say, "These aren't the plates you're looking for."  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I am 5'9"----I ordered these it looks like they are 10 x 13,   I am overweight but expect to be at about 200 pounds within the next six months.... Are these two large for me will I be able to move or is this good?

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/new-featured-products/two-level-iv-stand-alone-esapi-plates/
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone have experience with United Shield International plates?  Are they GTG?
http://us.unitedshield.com/index.php/products-range/ballistic-plates/

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:
I am 5'9"----I ordered these it looks like they are 10 x 13,   I am overweight but expect to be at about 200 pounds within the next six months.... Are these two large for me will I be able to move or is this good?

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/new-featured-products/two-level-iv-stand-alone-esapi-plates/
View Quote

Rule of thumb is plate should cover your nipples and not choke you when bending over if worn with gun/battle belt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Swat_dude:

Rule of thumb is plate should cover your nipples and not choke you when bending over if worn with gun/battle belt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swat_dude:
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Do people really wear battle belts AND plate carriers? My army infantry friend says that kills mobility. I am inclined to agree, especially if you already run mag pouches and whatnot on your PC.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Apec:
Do people really wear battle belts AND plate carriers? My army infantry friend says that kills mobility. I am inclined to agree, especially if you already run mag pouches and whatnot on your PC.
View Quote

It can kill your mobility when not done right, you have to know how to wear your gear to not have it kill your mobility. I personally wear a PC and battle belt, but its a Crye JPC and one of their Modular Rigger's Belts. I love the setup but its not for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:43:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Swat_dude] [#40]
View Quote

I run an SKD PIG with LTC SAPI 11x14 plates and velocity plate backers coming in at about 17 lbs. Loading the plate carrier further with AR mags, hydration bladder, tourniquet, blowout kit, etc. just absolutely sucks. I walked on the treadmill at the gym with 30 lbs of plates in it (the weightlifting kind) to strengthen my traps/shoulders for the load but even after a month I never really got comfortable with the pressure on my traps/shoulders. I am 6'3" 220 and I might just be a wimp when it comes to loading my shoulders with that much weight, but heck, even my backpacking pack moves the weight to my hips. I have since moved almost everything to my battle belt, where I find it is much less fatiguing and WAY MORE ergonomic when it comes to mag changes. Depending on the intended use, I will also only run the front plate/backer with hydration bladder on the back for balance, further reducing weight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Try it before you knock it.

Your hips can bear far more load without fatigue than your shoulders. In/on my plate carrier, I carry three mags, mag pouch, and a CAT TQ. Everything else is on the belt. Your friend is very much mistaken.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Armor Plates (Page 12 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top