BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Armor Plates (Page 2 of 12)
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHIVAN] [#1]

Originally Posted By Submariner:
I understand.  There is always Botach at twice the price.  Perhaps SHIVAN will tell us where he bought his.

From the ad you linked to....

To be honest, I'm going to run the ID number with PACA/TAP when it gets here, just to see what they say.

Also, that price was inline with another guy selling a plate here that I trust, so I figure, it's probably just a deal at a little above dealer cost.

Oh, I also found a dealer in Maine that apparently will sell to civilians.  They quoted me $980/set for the III+.  Or $480/set for the III.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Also, that price was inline with another guy selling a plate here that I trust, so I figure, it's probably just a deal at a little above dealer cost.

If I had the cash, I'd buy that single plate and put it in an Eagle Rhodesian Chest Rig.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By billclo:

Originally Posted By billclo:
But I'd love to acquire some of the lighter level 3+ multi-hit plates; hard to find some to buy from a reputable dealer (not Ebay crap)...

Try this gentleman for what SHIVAN bought.  You will not be diappointed.  Seller is almost out.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=325596

I've seen it, thanks. I'm just not comfortable buying protective gear from someone who I can't verify is a legit dealer of that company...there are alot of ripoffs out there, Ebay'ers come to mind.

I understand.  There is always Botach at twice the price.  Perhaps SHIVAN will tell us where he bought his.

I bought rifle plates from Botach for $149 each.  Good quality plates too.  

I hesitate to deal with Botach but their customer service is a little better than it once was.

Just be careful.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#4]
These are looking awful nice, but I don't have a good price on them yet...www.firstchoicearmor.com/html/popups/plate_set_1.htm. The level IV in-conjunction plates that are 4.8 lbs...it doesn't say if they're multi-hit rated or single hit though.

Galls sells something similar, for $639 per plate, but I'm not sure it's the same one. Gotta find a better price; maybe there's a dealer within a reasonable drive? Have to inquire a little later on when I have the cash.

At least the company has some NIJ rated stuff, though it's hard to tell if that particular model is; I expect the NIJ site list is not current.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody know anything about the polyethylene plates?
Using plastic is questionable, but if it works......
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
VA hit the nail on the head,   You need to know what you what to do to make your pick.

There is no 3A when it comes to Rifle plates according to NIJ, theirs
Level 3 (6 hits with M80 Ball .30 cal)
level  4 ( 1 hit with M2 .30 cal AP)

The Plates are tested specifically for  specific rds.

Will a level 4 plate stop a 30/30 Lead nose deer hunting round??? it's not tested for it... but it will..

Prime example level 4 issued SAPI plates (Only level 4 with the Soft Interceptor Armor backing it up) that is issued to our troops is only tested with the 1 rd of M2 .30 Ball, but has been documented to stop 7.62x54R AP rds....

Don't forget that Back face Deformation (Blunt trauma) can be bad. the round may not penetrate a certain plate, but the blunt force trauma may cause serious injuries if the plate was used by itself with out the Level 2A or 3A soft Armor which helps absorb and distribute the blunt trauma.

Will the Kejo Level 3 Steel plate stop M855???? if it's backed up with the rated soft Armor it will. if the Plate is used alone it may stop the Round (no penetration) but still do damage to you thru blunt force trauma.

Will it stop a 7.62x39MM  if used as a stand alone plate without soft Armor?? it's rated  to to it.

You need to understand the ratings both from NIJ and what the manufacturers test for and decide.

I'm like VA... I like the mobility and the weight and weigh that against higher protection.
I could be wearing the best level 4 rifle Armor with 3A soft Armor in a CIRAS vest with level 3 side plates, but if I get shot in the face.it's all relative....

The way I look at it it's like shopping for a car that has a good crash test rating, it's Money vs risk and your perception of said risk, We should probably all drive Volvo's based on the testing, but I sure see a lot of Cavaliers and Fiesta's out their..... Like the Knight in the last Indiana Jones Movie say's...." Choose wisely"
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:04:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Submariner] [#8]

Originally Posted By Harv24:

Don't forget that Back face Deformation (Blunt trauma) can be bad. the round may not penetrate a certain plate, but the blunt force trauma may cause serious injuries if the plate was used by itself with out the Level 2A or 3A soft Armor which helps absorb and distribute the blunt trauma.
. . .
I could be wearing the best level 4 rifle Armor with 3A soft Armor in a CIRAS vest with level 3 side plates, but if I get shot in the face.it's all relative....

For those who go the Kejo route (certainly a viable choice), the label says Level III protection is conjunction with Level II (soft) armor.  Remember that IIA < II < IIIA; Level IIA isn't enough to get the warrantied Level III protection.

As far as protection for the brain housing group, what are y'all doing?  

Got MICH?

Originally Posted By ptoguy2002:

What is your expected threat?

I asked your question of Dave Pennington on 10-8 not long ago.  Here is his response:

Polyethelene plates will NOT stop Greentip. Just FYI.

Condition wise, poly plates are pretty safe to buy since they contain no breakable ceramics. Used ceramic types plates are impossible to judge without detailed examination procedures on special machines. Poly should be fine if you can live with the lack of M855 protection ( I would not...)

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Also be aware that if you take a hit wearing steel plates (even with the ballistic nylon layer laminated over it) the bullet will frag when it impacts.  You have a very high chance of taking frag and spall in the throat, neck, and chin, and possibly your upper arms and forearms (and possibly upper legs/thighs if seated in a vehicle).  If hit from behind the frag and spall can tear up your butt cheeks or lower legs if kneeling.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Anyone sell these to civies?  I was looking to some 10" x 12" plates for my Wasatch.

They aren't 'restricted', but be ware of any sold as 'military surplus' - 99% of the time, if it's USGI & it's modern body armor, it's STOLEN...

While you won't get arrested if you buy it, you may get a call from CID, NCIS, or OSI about arrangements for the government to get their property back (w/o reimbursement)...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Originally Posted By Sinister:
Also be aware that if you take a hit wearing steel plates (even with the ballistic nylon layer laminated over it) the bullet will frag when it impacts.  You have a very high chance of taking frag and spall in the throat, neck, and chin, and possibly your upper arms and forearms (and possibly upper legs/thighs if seated in a vehicle).  If hit from behind the frag and spall can tear up your butt cheeks or lower legs if kneeling.

Very true, but it's still better than the alternative.

Can't you put Kevlar "covers" on it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By rodmini14:
Congrats on a thread about body armor.  Most poeple spend their time talking about the latest do-hicky for their rifle, new mag followers etc etc.  It seems the fact that in a gun fight the other person may be firing back doesn't even enter their mind.  Body armor is just as important as your rifle and your training.
I have two Level III plates myself.
Very good then!

For most people, they will not be wearing body armor in any logical gunfight scenario, or they will be wearing employer-issue armor (police, military)...  The average civillian isn't going to be putting on your OTV to chase off a burglar, or wearing it to & from work...

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Ceramic vs steel?  Anyone?

Scott
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]

I don't see why you couldn't

Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Ceramic vs steel?  Anyone?

Scott

In the end, it really comes down to what you're looking for out of your plates.

Well I know that, I just don't what the differences are :-)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHIVAN] [#17]

Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Well I know that, I just don't what the differences are :-)

Weight is the only primary difference, because in the end, a steel III plate is only rated to stop the same amount as a ceramic III plate.

They may both stop MORE, but the NIJ ratings are the same.

Price is the secondary difference.  Due to the extra weight it usually costs less.  Though I have seen some steel plates that are kinda spendy.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:24:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#19]
I just got the Steel LVL III from KEJO.  For the price ($240.00 for two) & the limited amount I would use them, I'm more than happy.  6 1/2lbs. and about a 1/2" thick.  Don't have to worry about dropping or cracking.  I had my eye on the 5mm DBT steel, but those are double the price, weigh the same and are 8 to 10 weeks out on shipping.  In fact, the manufacture www.cat-armor.com/ has had a dead link for about a month now.  I'm wondering if they've gone bye bye?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#20]

If I had steel plates, I would.  The spawling rounds could really F you up....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Most steel plates already come with the spall covers. I'm suprised that not all do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:57:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Lynch_Family] [#22]
Yesterday when I went to the range  and one of the guys had a US sapi plate that is suppossed to be an in conjuction plate right. ?? That what I have always thought . Anyway, These guys were testing some rounds on the plate. It was a US sapi plate. The guy fired 6 223 cal. SS109 green tip rounds at it. The first 5 did not go through it. Number 6 round went through it. It only went through because he shot it darn near through another shot. I only caught the last two rounds being fired at it. and was amazed when they brought the sapi plate back for us to see. There wasnt really any deformation or how ever you say it on the back side of the plate. We all sat there and bullshitted for a minute and one of the guys wanted to test some handgun rounds at it. Of course we were like hell ya do it do it. He fired 15 rounds of 124 grn 9mm at it. Not one went through. He then fired his taurus 357 at it. None went through. His buddy fired a 12 gauge slug at it. it went through but it hit were the 223cal hit.  Anyway, I think I feel safer now with my 4lb sapi plates. I was actually trying to sell mine to to get some steel plates but I think I am going to hold off for now.
Thanks all. I just thought I would share this with you all.

edited to add: Not sure if it matters. But his plate was an extra larget plate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By The_Lynch_Family:
Yesterday when I went to the range  and one of the guys had a US sapi plate that is suppossed to be an in conjuction plate right. ?? That what I have always thought . Anyway, These guys were testing some rounds on the plate. It was a US sapi plate. The guy fired 6 223 cal. SS109 green tip rounds at it. The first 5 did not go through it. Number 6 round went through it. It only went through because he shot it darn near through another shot. I only caught the last two rounds being fired at it. and was amazed when they brought the sapi plate back for us to see. There wasnt really any deformation or how ever you say it on the back side of the plate. We all sat there and bullshitted for a minute and one of the guys wanted to test some handgun rounds at it. Of course we were like hell ya do it do it. He fired 15 rounds of 124 grn 9mm at it. Not one went through. He then fired his taurus 357 at it. None went through. His buddy fired a 12 gauge slug at it. it went through but it hit were the 223cal hit.  Anyway, I think I feel safer now with my 4lb sapi plates. I was actually trying to sell mine to to get some steel plates but I think I am going to hold off for now.

You didn't happen to catch the rating on the plate did you?  I just want something I feel confident would stop SS109/M855 and .308 ball, but I don't and probably won't own a vest anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By ptoguy2002:

From my limited reading, one thing you have to be careful of with the polyethylene plates is heat and exposure to sunlight. Think about leaving them in the trunk on a hot summer day...

If you are buying them second hand, it would be tough to know for sure if they have been treated properly in regards to storage and exposure to heat.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By MlTCHELL:

Originally Posted By The_Lynch_Family:

You didn't happen to catch the rating on the plate did you?  I just want something I feel confident would stop SS109/M855 and .308 ball, but I don't and probably won't own a vest anytime soon.

Level III will protect from multiple hits from all these rounds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]

I ran my carrier and plates through part of my class this past weekend. Everything worked well while using it. I do need to adjust it a bit more to help the front from trying to pull down too much. I will say that adding plates, makes going prone that much harder.

I bet
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By clasky on LF:
Situation resolved!

Well I got a call from the VP at Point Blank. He apolagized for the way the customer service rep handled the situation and said from what he investigated, there was no crime and that there is no way to prove that the plates are stolen. He was very nice about it too.

The FBI investigator had called Point Blank and inquired about it and after getting transfered to several different people, was finally told that the "stolen" label was an assumption because they do not have any records past who bought them from the manufacturer. Basically, the FBI investigator told me that it appears that PB spoke out of turn and caused a big stink over nothing (I wouldn't have freaked out in the first place if the original PB rep hadn't said they were stolen). Anyway, the FBI says there is no crime and that they aren't even going to open an official investigation. As far as they are concerned, I should keep the plates.

I hope the lady at PB doesn't lose her job over this. So, in the end, the seller is legit and so are the plates. If he is ready this, I'm sorry if you got hassled and for the "mf'er" comment above. Thanks everybody else for all your help.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#31]

If I had steel plates, I would.  The spawling rounds could really F you up....

IMO, it wouldn't be worth the effort and bulk.  Rifle bullets don't spawl in very big fragments.  The Kejo plates come with a ballistic cloth and padding on the face of the plate.  Combine this with a GOOD pals carrier and you are going to catch most if not all of the spawl in these layers.  I'm not going to shoot my carrier to prove this however, Sunshine!

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#32]
tag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Question for the guys running Kejo plates:

Since the plates are not "operator" cut do you have any mobility problems? I have a 44" chest, and I was wondering if the plates cause your arms to bow outward, or if you have any problems traversing your weapon.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By CavReconScout:
Question for the guys running Kejo plates:

Since the plates are not "operator" cut do you have any mobility problems? I have a 44" chest, and I was wondering if the plates cause your arms to bow outward, or if you have any problems traversing your weapon.

Shouldering your weapon feels odd sometimes, but I don't think this would be different if you had the operator cut.  You can set the buttstock on the carrier or out towards your bicept.

Shooting pistol is a little funky feeling cuz your arms start to hit the top corners of the plate and you can't quite extend your arms 100% straight.

Neither of these issues is significant, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Only thing I noticed with my was I had some slip issues with my VLTOR stock. it would slip around on the Cordura of my Callahan because the plates took away the cushion effect.  The fix was a $15 rubber butt plate and no problems.

I'm guessing a guy could take a Hacksaw and cut the corners to his liking and then fill in the cut with some epoxy and some pick up truck bedding compound.  Your not gonna compromise the steel plate.  But I have no mobility issues and like the extra amount of coverage the full plate provides.

This is after  wearing it  87 times

That was for You Mark....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]

I haven't noticed any problems Kejo plates affecting my mobility. I actually get more restriction from my IIIA vest underneath.

As the previous posters stated, a rubber but pad will go a long way to reduce slipping issues.

A good recomendation in any situation.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#38]

I'm guessing a guy could take a Hacksaw and cut the corners to his liking and then fill in the cut with some epoxy and some pick up truck bedding compound.  Your not gonna compromise the steel plate.  But I have no mobility issues and like the extra amount of coverage the full plate provides.

I don't think a hack saw it going to cut armor plate!

This is after  wearing it  87 times

That was for You Mark....

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By markm:

I don't think a hack saw it going to cut armor plate!

Well... maybe not one hacksaw... but maybe a few blades... or a grinding disc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I found a great deal on ebay  cheep plates  hmmm maby I will go with a reputable dealer instead
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Item location: kowloon, none, Hong Kong

If you noticed their in Communist China, also they are "replica" plates for training purposes.  Ebay normally has alot of plates for sale find some real ones though, getting shot with those wouldn't do much
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#43]
yea but for $20.00 and they were ceramic replicas,  I mean that is a great price.  the best part is that if they don't work... you will never complaine
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#44]
AMEN, BROTHER. I have been researching ballistic plates on the web, and I haven't found many web pages that talk about plates.  This is a very important piece of equipment, and there is so much confusing information out there that its difficult to get the right plates. Let's see, ceremic breaks if you drop it, Polyethelene will melt in the heat, and steel will richochet frags into your face. And then there's the composites. I just need information on the right plate to get based on the following criteria:
1. Affords the most multi-hit protection
2. Is under 6 lbs.
3. Is durable and I dont have to baby.
Iam a street cop and I plan on only wearing them for long gun calls. I am looking at the Eagle, Blackhawk and Paraclete plate carriers. Any info or experience with this gear will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#45]

Originally Posted By KAJAN:
AMEN, BROTHER. I have been researching ballistic plates on the web, and I haven't found many web pages that talk about plates.  This is a very important piece of equipment, and there is so much confusing information out there that its difficult to get the right plates. Let's see, ceremic breaks if you drop it, Polyethelene will melt in the heat, and steel will richochet frags into your face. And then there's the composites. I just need information on the right plate to get based on the following criteria:
1. Affords the most multi-hit protection
2. Is under 6 lbs.
3. Is durable and I dont have to baby.
Iam a street cop and I plan on only wearing them for long gun calls. I am looking at the Eagle, Blackhawk and Paraclete plate carriers. Any info or experience with this gear will be greatly appreciated.

Here's some threads to check out:
www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8632&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=13049&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

I had my eye on the DBT 5mm plates, but when I called DBT about a month ago, they said the plates were on 8 to 10 week back order.  I went with the 6 1/2LB.  Kejo at half the cost.  The Eagle LE plate carrier finally got listed on Eagle's website.  That will be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:02:59 AM EDT
[#46]
very good link, Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:54:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#47]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I appreciate the tack and all those that have posted great information and answered questions regarding armor plates.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#49]
If you were to apply NIJ standards to a SAPI plate what NIJ rating would a SAPI plate receive? I know that SAPI standards are measured according to military specifications and not NIJ.  I just need to know where in the NIJ ratings SAPI plates fall in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By KAJAN:
If you were to apply NIJ standards to a SAPI plate what NIJ rating would a SAPI plate receive? I know that SAPI standards are measured according to military specifications and not NIJ.  I just need to know where in the NIJ ratings SAPI plates fall in.

They dont have a NIJ rating, but will take multiple hits from iraqi issue 7.62x39, US M855 ball, 7.62x54r, and 7.62x51 Nato.  They are not to be worn alone, with 5 hits from a AK at 15 meters you will have a ball or deformed plate insides the size of a large orange which the IBA helps absorb to save your ribs from too much damage.  If I ever get a good place to do it Im gonna test a few against the 7.62x54r from a tokarev rifle and some 7.62x51 from my M1A to see how they hold up.  I can attest to first hand experience that it will stop 7.62x39, at least 5 times with no penetration out the rear, but the backface deformation is whats gonna get you.
Page / 12
Armor Plates (Page 2 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top