Page:  / 14
Author
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:10:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2007 8:16:04 AM EST by pathfinder74]
SDS (Specialty Defense Systems) has several packs that could be considered 3DAPs. The product descriptions vary in depth so it's hard to tell what would compare some to other 3DAPs based on volume and dimensions.

Back Packs : M/A Assault Pack Large
Larger Image Style Number: 4095
The Large Assault Pack can be attached to the MOLLE system or worn as a stand alone item. Consists of a large main pocket, smaller front pocket and cleaning utility pocket. The pack integrates with hydrations systems and communications systems and is ready for airborne operations.

Back Packs : Pursuit
Larger Image Style Number: S0002
SDS' Mid Range pack at 2500 Cubic Inches. Featuring the latest in Materials Technology using Spacenet fabric on all Body Contact areas to prevent Heat Buildup and Allow for Moisture Evaporation. The Conflict has adjustable and redundant frame sizing and attachments Double Belt Technology allowing you to mount pockets both on the outside pockets and inside of the waistbelt.

Features:
- 5 External Pockets
- Internal Side Compression
- Internal Center Compressions
- SDS Katana Quiet Zipper Pulls
- Shoulder Pad Lift Straps
- Left or Right Neoprene Radio Port
- External Hydration Compartment
- E-Tool Pocket
Imported (Made using USA Fabrics)

Back Packs : Engage
Larger Image Style Number: S0003
SDS' Small Assault Pack at 1800 Cubic Inches. . Featuring the latest in Materials Technology using Spacenet fabric on all Body Contact areas to prevent Heat Buildup and Allow for Moisture Evaporation. The Engage has adjustable and redundant frame sizing and attachments Double Belt Technology allowing for placement of MOLLE Compatible pockets on the waistbelt.

Features:
- Full Opening Flat Front Pocket
- Side Entry Pocket between Main and Outer Pocket
- Internal Center Compressions
- SDS Katana Quiet Zipper Pulls
- Shoulder Pad Lift Straps
- Left or Right Neoprene Radio Port
Imported (Made using USA Fabrics)
"There are advantages to a .308 as well, you can shoot bears and refrigerators."
JerodJohnson

"You know that Nazi's had pieces of flare, but they made the Jew's wear it."
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:29:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2007 8:29:52 AM EST by pathfinder74]
This is a pretty sharp looking pack... but the price is so sharp it'll cut your wallet into pieces.

It does have a really interesting feature with the expandable lower pouch. I'd love to see this feature in more packs. It'd be great for popping a "wooby" poncho liner and/or lightweight sleeping bag (depending on the volume).

S.O. Tech (Special Operations Technologies)

Mission Pack
S.O. Tech Backpack, Medical/Trauma, Large (MPMD)

S.O. Tech's super-comfortable Mission Pack with an expandable, lower pouch that zippers up and is concealed when not in use. This ovesized three-day pack is perfect for holding the medic's gear in modules that drop into the main compartment and his field gear can go in the expandable lower pouch and external compartments. When not performing medic duties, the soldier can remove the modules and use the pack as a field pack.

Product Catalog: Packs
"There are advantages to a .308 as well, you can shoot bears and refrigerators."
JerodJohnson

pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2005 11:07:48 PM EST
I have one of these packs and while I wouldn't say they're as good as some of the more reputable brand/manufacturers, it's a decent bag for "non-tactical" applications.

Piper Gear

5031B- Three Day Pack (5031)
Technical pack with built-in hydration system compatibility. This product is great for efficient travelers who appreciate functionality. List of features include: padded straps, adjustable everything, waist strap, organizer compartment, and front zip compartment gives that extra features that everybody needs.

Dimensions: 15 x 6 x 16 in.
Weight: 4.4 Qty
Price: $49.99

For something a little larger check out the Bugout-Bag
JerodJohnson

Howie_Kaluha
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2005 11:23:31 PM EST
Geez, this thread pwns
Terrato
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 1:47:12 AM EST
Great info, thanks! My everyday backpack just crapped out and I'm looking at upgrading to something a bit more versatile.
grkred
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 6:10:56 AM EST
PATHFINDER YOU ARE THE SHIT!!!!!!! thanks man this is exactly what I needed
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:57:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2007 8:33:47 AM EST by pathfinder74]
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Terrato:
Great info, thanks! My everyday backpack just crapped out and I'm looking at upgrading to something a bit more versatile.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

Lightfighter ATS Tactical Gear seems to have one of the larger variety of choices for "assault" packs.

ATS Tactical

I really like how their product page is set up because you can choose by the brand or just look at all of them together. Their site was kind of my starting point for this thread before I started digging through my pile of "favorites" links.

ps. I'm not an advertising whore for them or anything. After going through so many of the manufacturer's websites and seeing some seriously crappy pages, I have a serious appreciation for Lightfighter's layout.

ETA 16Jan07: I'm not sure when Lightfighter changed to ATS Tactical but their website is just as good in terms of viewing the various packs and selecting them based on type or manufacturer.
JerodJohnson

Terrato
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 9:14:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Lightfighter seems to have one of the larger variety of choices for "assault" packs.

Lightfighter

I really like how their product page is set up because you can choose by the brand or just look at all of them together. Their site was kind of my starting point for this thread before I started digging through my pile of "favorites" links.

ps. I'm not an advertising whore for them or anything. After going through so many of the manufacturer's websites and seeing some seriously crappy pages, I have a serious appreciation for Lightfighter's layout.

Thanks, I spent a lot of time looking at their site yesterday, and comparing what they had to your descriptions here. It's a great starting point.
jollyroger
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 2:45:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 2:49:03 PM EST by jollyroger]
Has anyone checked out the Kelty MAP-3500? It doesnt scream uber-tactical ninja, but it does look like it has some desireable features and comes in great colors. 3,500 cu's seems a bit bigger than alot of the other 3DAP's, but it looks like they packaged it well. Check out the link...

http://www.amronintl.com/safety/products.cfm?id=631

Edit: how do I make the link hot??
This isn't a zip tie. It's a USGI tactical disposable polymer retention system.--metroplex
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 3:13:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 3:16:56 PM EST by pathfinder74]

Originally Posted By jollyroger:
Has anyone checked out the Kelty MAP-3500? 3,500 cu's seems a bit bigger than alot of the other 3DAP's, but it looks like they packaged it well.

I didn't originally put that one in because the cubic volume went a bit beyond the regular 3DAPs but it looks like a sweet pack. I'll do it anyay. it doesn't seem to be featured/listed on the Kelty website so I'm just pulling the images off of a retailer page. If they red-x out I'll find some from another site. Do a Google search for the pack name to find other retailers.

Kelty MAP 3500 Military Assault Pack

SKU# PCAM3500
price: $129.95

Designed and Engineered with the help of direct military end-user input and feedback at the Boulder 2000 conference, the MAP 3500's are the commercial off the shelf (COTS) solution for a sturdy and functional Military Assault Pack (MAP). When the Special Operations (SOF) community requested a "new" and improved assault pack, The KELTY Pack company was chosen for its reputation as a renowned manufacturer in the outdoor industry.

Designed to meet the needs of the field, they also work as carry on luggage for business travel, fitting in overhead storage compartments on all commercial airliners.

Features:
- 3500 cubic in. volume
- Super Space Mesh on back panel & shoulder strap
- Hydrophobic foam in back panel & shoulder straps
- 1000 denier Kodra construction, double stitched
- Internal suspension, two fit to form Light-Beam stay rods
- Panel loading pack, single large compartment 2 exterior zippered pockets
- Interior hydration pouch, supports up to 100 oz bladder
- Hydration port at top of pack allows for drink tube to be used over either shoulder. Hydration port has snap on top flap closure
- Exterior cargo pocket w/fleece eyewear pocket & admin organizer pocket
- Side mesh pockets (fits 1qt lexan water bottles each side)
- Waist belt w/Scherer cinch system, with waist belt tuck-away feature
- Adjustable sternum strap
- Fully adjustable (removable/replaceable) shoulder straps
- Dimensions: 21 H x 14 W x 11 D
- Cubes: 3,500
- Wt: 4 lbs

JerodJohnson

Howie_Kaluha
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:12:11 PM EST
That pack would be absolute SEX if it had MOLLE on the outside
jollyroger
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:22:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 4:25:28 PM EST by jollyroger]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Has anyone checked out the Kelty MAP-3500? 3,500 cu's seems a bit bigger than alot of the other 3DAP's, but it looks like they packaged it well.

I didn't originally put that one in because the cubic volume went a bit beyond the regular 3DAPs but it looks like a sweet pack. I'll do it anyay. it doesn't seem to be featured/listed on the Kelty website so I'm just pulling the images off of a retailer page. If they red-x out I'll find some from another site. Do a Google search for the pack name to find other retailers.

I agree 3500 is a bit large. If they could make a MAPII with 2200 cu's or something that might be cool. I had to do a search on it as well because their website didnt have it. The link I gave has them for $120's I believe. I think for the guy that wants/needs more space this might be a good deal, the price is decent anyway. I dont own this pack, just thought it looked promising.

How about the kifaru Express? Looks like a good slim design.
This isn't a zip tie. It's a USGI tactical disposable polymer retention system.--metroplex
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:20:03 PM EST

How about the kifaru Express? Looks like a good slim design.

Looks like it's about the same profile as the Marauder.

JerodJohnson

eggrolly
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:45:54 PM EST
and what is the definition of a 3 day pack?
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/5/2005 12:04:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By eggrolly:
and what is the definition of a 3 day pack?

A pack that is capable of holding enough gear to sustain you for 3 days.
- may or may not have internal frame
- may or may not have a waist belt that may or may not be removable
- generally has one main compartment and 1 or more secondary pockets

How's that?
JerodJohnson

WiseguyThreeOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2005 12:41:53 PM EST
It's expensive as hell, but I have a London Bridge Geronimo OPFOR model. Internal frame, some external pockets, used to strap a M240B tripod underneath it, put about 600 rounds of belted 7.62mm in it (100 round box in each of the externals), and still have room for some snivel gear. Made a good RTO bag after I changed slots too. I bless my grandmother for having great taste in birthday presents.

Lightfighter can be great to deal with, I've been buying junk from Brad since he was still running that place out of his garage.
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:13:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:
It's expensive as hell, but I have a London Bridge Geronimo OPFOR model.

I had a discussion with Pyro over in Lightfighter about LBT, particularly the EOD pack. He was pretty adamant about how the their packs definitely did not justify the high price tag.

I don't know him personally nor can I verify the validity of his comments. Just something to beare in mind.
JerodJohnson

eggrolly
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:59:06 PM EST
theres merit in his comments... LBT products do tend to be more overpriced for what you get... but then again since a fair chunk of the customer base has uncle sugars bankbook on hand then whos to complain.

EGG
CattleDog
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:03:31 PM EST
Any experience with this company?

Eberlestock

Has anyone used this particular pack:

http://www.downrangesports.com/browseproducts/Eberlestock-Spec-Ops-Gunslinger-Pack.html

pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:35:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 9:21:06 AM EST by pathfinder74]

Originally Posted By CattleDog:
Any experience with this company?
Eberlestock
Has anyone used this particular pack

Discussed pretty well in this thread: Eberlestock Special Operations Backpacks

I would consider that more or a "mission pack" as opposed to a 3-Day Assault Pack. It has some nteresting features that I wouldn't mind seeing as seperate "parts".

FEATURES:
- Removable waist belt (for traveling, and for a better fit with some tactical gear)
- Dual hydration compatible (can hold two 3 liter hydration systems)
- Scabbard folds into bottom of pack for use with shorter weapons or when not carrying weapons
- Scabbard has new drainage and cleanout system
- New HIGH VIS interior
- Both top and full side access to the main compartment
- New larger top cover compartment (will hold several ammo boxes)
- Ample MOLLE compatible webbing
- Fully adjustable shoulder harness
- Triple compression strap system for quick lash-on of bulky gear, and for compressing your load
- #10 zippers throughout
- Removable top cover for gun scabbard fully encloses your gun, or can be left off so you can quickdraw it.

Eberlestock Special Operations Backpacks
Our packs display versatility and flexibility for all missions, and go way beyond anything in prior existence in terms of their quality, features, and design. For activities where you're carrying a gun and you need both hands free, such as rappelling, Eberlestock packs are unsurpassed. Also, for those who carry more than one long gun, an excellent system is to have the first (say, an automatic weapon) carried on a shoulder sling, and the second (say, a sniper rifle or shotgun) in the Backscabbard™. If you need the other gun for a new application, you can drop the auto onto the sling and reach up and pull out the heavy gun.

JerodJohnson

WiseguyThreeOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:34:56 PM EST
I've had two LBT bags, both personally paid for. One was stolen, and I still have the other.

I bought my Geronimo in 2002 before they got so expensive, it was about 240 then and it's close to 400 now. Worth it today? Probably not. But it's an anvil of a bag. Heavy, but it's been abused most every way a bag can be in the field and in combat, and it cleaned up good as new with a power washer.

I like the new SOB THE Pack, one of the few bags available in the ACU camo, and lots of PALS webbing on it.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of the SDS bags, especially the little one that comes with the MOLLE system. If you're over 14, the straps won't work right on you, and they're just too small to be worth the effort. It's an approach-march bag, not a three-day pack, and it's even too small to hold most of your actions-on-objective gear.
pathfinder74
Muad'Dib
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/8/2005 7:16:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By WiseguyThreeOne:
Whatever you do, don't buy one of the SDS bags

If you're going to tell people not to buy something, be a little more specific on the model.
I've listed three above, by name.
At 2,500 cubic the Pursuit is above average in volume.
The Engage is probably pushing it at 1,800 cubic.
The first pack listed, the M/A Assault Pack Large, doesn't show a volume measurement, so I put it up giving them the benefit of the doubt.
JerodJohnson

Bonk2029
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/8/2005 11:17:10 PM EST
This thread is brilliant...and timely. A 3-day pack is next on my shopping list, thanks for the help.
WiseguyThreeOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:34:44 PM EST
Sorry, the "M/A Large", it's the standard one included in the MOLLE kit when ours were issued to us new-in-box before Iraq the first time we went. Well enough made, all the SDS MOLLE stuff held up fine except for a couple of the ruck frames, that bag is just way too small to be a useful design so my question about their civilian name for it is "large compared to what?".

Never seen the other two before.
AR15fan
Damn Jay Bee Tee.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2005 12:24:04 AM EST
I'm quiet happy with my SDS Patrol Pack. 6 mags in their bandoleer snapped in the outer pocket. Camelback in the internal sleeve. spare clothing and food in the main compartment. If you need more space add pouches to the outside.

Mine is often set up with (3) grenade pouches, (2) double M16 Mag pouches, and (2) 100 round ammo pouches attached. For even more space add the Molle "butt pack" to the bottum of the pack.
Conventional wisdom:"Most cops will never need to use their service weapon in their entire career"
Page:  / 14