Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2017 11:56:01 AM EDT
How hard would it be to make a TAC-14 look like this?

I've never been a shotgun guy, and I don't know what it would entail to change out the tube to a unit that would come out to the end of the barrel.

I also need to find somebody that can do a buff / blue job on the metal.

I'm assuming there's a source for a steel trigger guard, yes?

Also, I would cut down my own rear grip from a stock, and shape it, but where would I find a pump like that?

I don't own a TAC-14 yet, but I need to know this conversion is possible before I buy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need to remove dimples and add a one-piece Vang Plus one extension like on this pic:

Steel trigger guard is easy to find.

Not sure about wood stock liket that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How hard would it be to make a TAC-14 look like this?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1f/4b/e1/1f4be1b794f42663849b762fec26c701--supporting-actor-feature-film.jpg

I've never been a shotgun guy, and I don't know what it would entail to change out the tube to a unit that would come out to the end of the barrel.I also need to find somebody that can do a buff / blue job on the metal.I'm assuming there's a source for a steel trigger guard, yes?Also, I would cut down my own rear grip from a stock, and shape it, but where would I find a pump like that?

I don't own a TAC-14 yet, but I need to know this conversion is possible before I buy.
View Quote

The magazine tubes are silver soldered in place, so replacing it isn't likely going to happen.

The wooden fore-end would be a standard police, ebay or gunparts corp would be a couple of good places to look.

870 metal triggergurds are made from aluminum are available from Remington, Gunparts corp, and ebay.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The magazine tubes are silver soldered in place, so replacing it isn't likely going to happen.

The wooden fore-end would be a standard police, ebay or gunparts corp would be a couple of good places to look.

870 metal triggergurds are made from aluminum are available from Remington, Gunparts corp, and ebay.
View Quote
Are you sure the mag tube is soldered in?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I aint skeerd of a lil' solder. I'll have to send it to a gunsmith to change the park over to blueing anyway.

If I could just find out the proper name of the appropriate length tube, I can start looking for it.

I don't want to do it via a tube extension. This build will be purely for the novelty of owning it, and I need to know the exact look in my OP is achievable, or I'm not going to bother with it. I'm even considering having the front sight sweated off, to complete the look.

I'm the type that I like to do something perfectly, or not at all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes sir, remington magazine tubes are soldered in.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I aint skeerd of a lil' solder. I'll have to send it to a gunsmith to change the park over to blueing anyway.

If I could just find out the proper name of the appropriate length tube, I can start looking for it.

I don't want to do it via a tube extension. This build will be purely for the novelty of owning it, and I need to know the exact look in my OP is achievable, or I'm not going to bother with it. I'm even considering having the front sight sweated off, to complete the look.

I'm the type that I like to do something perfectly, or not at all.
View Quote
As far as i know Remington has never made a 870 with the magazine tube flush with the barrel, so there is no factory tube that length, it would have to be a total custom job. Plus the barrel ring would have to be relocated.

By the time you buy the TAC 14, have the custom tube job done, relocate the barrel ring, polish and blue, replace the trigger housing replace fore-end it would be cheaper to buy a older Wingmaster and do a form 1 pay the tax and go the short barrel shotgun route. Cut the barrel to 12.5 inch so it is flush with the factory magazine cap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, good to know
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As far as i know Remington has never made a 870 with the magazine tube flush with the barrel, so there is no factory tube that lenght, it would have to be a total custom job. Plus the barrel ring would have to be relocated.

By the time you buy the TAC 14, have the custom tube job done, relocate the barrel ring, polish and blue, replace the trigger housing replace fore-end it would be cheaper to buy a older  Wingmaster and do a form 1 and go the short barrel shotgun route. A 13inch barrel is flush with the factory magazine cap.
View Quote
came here to say the same thing. the wood is cheap, buy a set off wherever.com and DIY. I did one like this for a moss berg before the raptor grip was a thing. Called Birds's Head grip usually.

stripping park and doing blue seems expensive. just get a blued one, file the papers, cut the wood stock and then barrel. wouldn't even need a front sight.

don't get me wrong, I think it's cool, and I'm all for random projects.  but it sounds like wayyyyy more trouble than it's worth
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Not going the NFA route. Fuck that.

Please don't derail my thread with that shite.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As far as i know Remington has never made a 870 with the magazine tube flush with the barrel, so there is no factory tube that lenght, it would have to be a total custom job. Plus the barrel ring would have to be relocated.

By the time you buy the TAC 14, have the custom tube job done, relocate the barrel ring, polish and blue, replace the trigger housing replace fore-end it would be cheaper to buy a older  Wingmaster and do a form 1 pay the tax and go the short barrel shotgun route. A 12.5 inch barrel is flush with the factory magazine cap.
View Quote
All this...and then the forearm still will not come to the end of the barrel unless you make some type of extended action arms, or alter the metal that is inside the forearm, so it all moves forward.

But what about this? .....Start with a TAC-14,  Cut the barrel to 12.5”, Custom make a rear grip that is 1.5” longer (so the 26” minimum is maintained)
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

All this...and then the forearm still will not come to the end of the barrel unless you make some type of extended action arms, or alter the metal that is inside the forearm, so it all moves forward.

But what about this? .....Start with a TAC-14,  Cut the barrel to 12.5”, Custom make a rear grip that is 1.5” longer (so the 26” minimum is maintained)
View Quote
That also occurred to me. I'm giving it some thought.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
So it seems like probably the thing to do would be to buy an old 870 police stock set, and see if I can carve something out of it that looks halfway decent, and compare to the shockwave grip to make sure it's long enough.

Anybody know of a surefire place to buy a used police furniture set for cheap?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not going the NFA route. Fuck that.

Please don't derail my thread with that shite.
View Quote
Old Wingmaster or Police model stock, cut the stock to Shockwave shape. Be sure of the length to stay legal. 870 forends are a bitch to change, the few I've done made me decide to buy a forend complete with action bars if I ever change one again(all I have changed had thread locker on them, and I had a hell of a time putting them back together straight).  Refinish wood to your liking. Add a +1 mag extension if you must have the flush mag tube.

Leave metal finish as-is IMO, buffing and bluing will likely be in the $200 range. You can try Dura-Blue to get a similar look for less money than bluing, a kit runs about $50. The Dura-Coat guys advertise it as "indistinguishable from traditional bluing" but I'm skeptical on that claim. Doesn't change that it's a decent product and will save you a lot of money.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anybody know of a surefire place to buy a used police furniture set for cheap?
View Quote
How cheap? There's a set on the first page of shotgun accessories in the EE for $75(not my listing). Would probably be cheaper to get some standard Express wood, sand out the checkering and stain/dye to the color you want. Shouldn't be hard to cut some grooves into it for the police forend look.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#15]
In case it wasn't clear, the shotgun (NFA/SBS) in your original post has a 12.5" barrel and the standard Remington 870, 4-shot magazine tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top