Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2017 8:33:03 AM EDT
A neighbor was out shooting with some co-workers and one had a Tac-14 and had put grip-tape panels on it.

Like this:

He was shooting with gloves on and when he emptied a mag he noticed that the tape had pretty much "sanded" the grip hand glove's surface away where the tape contacted the glove and even slightly "road rash-ed" the web of his thumb.

Just something to watch out for.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Who would have thought a grip thats recoil reduction and comfort depending on it sliding slightly rearward in your hand, would sand down flesh and gloves when you put a high friction material on it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who would have thought a grip thats recoil reduction and comfort depending on it sliding slightly rearward in your hand, would sand down flesh and gloves when you put a high friction material on it?
View Quote
Evidently the guy with the Tac-14 thought it would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Also a great reason why no one should put sling attachments between the grip and receiver.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I put 200 rounds through my shockwave with no grip tape. No problems but was a little slippery. I then put the Talon grip tape with the rubber texture and put 100 rounds through it with no gloves. Better grip and no issues, very comfortable. Can't speak for the sandpaper type finish.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I stippled mine. I don't shoot with gloves and have shot hundreds of full power loads without an issue.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been shooting my 500 Raptor (homemade Shockwave) for more than a year now. It is one of may favorite range toys. I do not find the recoil to be punishing or unmanageable at all, even with full power Buckshot (Fed.12700). Seriously, am I the only Alpha-male, non-cuck left in America?

I must be a Goddamn Super Tier-1 Operator

Seriously, if you hold the Damn thing right and push into, towards the target it is an easy set-up to manage.

I do recommend a front strap or stop to prevent your hand from slipping over the muzzle and to maintain control while working the action.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I then put the Talon grip tape with the rubber texture.
View Quote
I prefer the rubber texture as well, I got a couple sheets of it from Ebay and cut my own for things.  Did my RFB forend the other day, feels much better.
It's not Talon brand, but it seems to form much better than Talon with a little heat.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty darn accurate.
I did slip a bicycle inner tube over one of my Shockwaves to slightly increase the gripiness. I figured it was 50/50 chance of being worthwhile.

The bike tube ended up being a positive increase in my grip control, but still does not make sufficient friction to impede a smooth recoil. Good use of $3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top