Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2017 10:13:53 PM EDT
I came very close to buying one of these a month or so back but decided not to due to what GA statue states and the possibility of dealing with the federal VS state BS. Has anyone ran into an issue owning one or a Tac yet? Id be buying one for the range mostly but it would be a HD gun as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Which Georgia statute are you referring to and why do you think it makes a Shockwave or Tac-14 illegal in Georgia?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which Georgia statute are you referring to and why do you think it makes a Shockwave or Tac-14 illegal in Georgia?
View Quote
Ill have to go an pull it again. There was a rather interesting thread I found on Georgia Carry pertaining to the legality of it as well. The definition of what the state would consider the Shockwave was the issue really. It seems to fall into that grey area due to terms and technicalities.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you mean on Georgia Packing. That was my thread. The statutes involved are:

OCGA 16-11-121(5)
"Sawed-off shotgun" means a shotgun or any weapon made from a shotgun whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
"Sawed-off shotgun" means a shotgun or any weapon made from a shotgun whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
OCGA 16-11-121(6)
"Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; and designed or redesigned, and made or remade, to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
The short version is the Shockwave and Tac-14 are not designed to be fired from the shoulder and are just over 26" in length. They are not legally shotguns or sawed-off shotguns, either federal or state. They are "other" and also cannot be carried concealed. There's no grey area involved. The Georgia statutes are quite clear.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The key to the definition is that the ATF defines a shotgun-shell-shooting weapon (i.e. a shotgun) that has only ever had a pistol grip installed as a firearm.

IOW, it isn't a shotgun to begin with, so all of your "sawed off" and "short barreled" shotgun and shoulder or not fired definitions do not apply...it's a firearm with a 14" barrel and an AOL >26" (so as not be be classified as an AOW).
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The key to the definition is that the ATF defines a shotgun-shell-shooting weapon (i.e. a shotgun) that has only ever had a pistol grip installed as a firearm.

IOW, it isn't a shotgun to begin with, so all of your "sawed off" and "short barreled" shotgun and shoulder or not fired definitions do not apply...it's a firearm with a 14" barrel and an AOL >26" (so as not be be classified as an AOW).
View Quote
Your generalization is overly broad. Regardless of how a weapon is defined at the federal level, state definitions most certainly apply concerning legality at the state level. As discussed above, Georgia's statutes define both the Shockwave and Tac-14 as legal. On the other hand, both weapons are illegal in OH and NJ and illegal or questionable in CA, MA and NY.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your generalization is overly broad. Regardless of how a weapon is defined at the federal level, state definitions most certainly apply concerning legality at the state level. As discussed above, Georgia's statutes define both the Shockwave and Tac-14 as legal. On the other hand, both weapons are illegal in OH and NJ and illegal or questionable in CA, MA and NY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's referring to the post above his regarding GA law.  

"Sawed-off shotgun" means a shotgun or any weapon made from a shotgun...  Since the Shockwave was never a shotgun this does not apply.  The part in bold is dispositive; since it isn't applicable, the rest is moot.

"Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder...  Likewise this statute; the Shockwave was never designed, redesigned, made, or remade, or intended to be fired from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hear it is legal in NYS, not NYC.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Oregon is just now going through a similar drama.  They have specifically started denying or delaying (can't remember which) transfers of the shockwave and one other similar shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Too close to Komifornia.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
MA resident here. Shockwave isn't illegal to own in MA. One of the biggest FFL's in the state spent some time on the phone with state authorities and was told it's a non-compliant handgun. Non-compliant means it's illegal for a dealer to transfer and moderately difficult but not impossible for a resident to obtain. I can't provide any details on how to do it because OPSEC.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
At least for the moment, The two counties of Long Island through their respective county PDs have sent letters to the gun shops there stating these are GTG.

I would find it shocking that NY would allow something GA would ban.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would find it shocking that NY would allow something GA would ban.
View Quote
It's not banned in Georgia.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not banned in Georgia.
View Quote
I've seen many for sale in GA - I hope its not banned!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw them for sale in local shops in Ohio but buckey gun owners lawyers said theyre not legal by Ohio law.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw them for sale in local shops in Ohio but buckey gun owners lawyers said theyre not legal by Ohio law.
View Quote
Kinda why I made mine into a SBS a few years ago. Didn't want to risk it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

MA resident here. Shockwave isn't illegal to own in MA. One of the biggest FFL's in the state spent some time on the phone with state authorities and was told it's a non-compliant handgun. Non-compliant means it's illegal for a dealer to transfer and moderately difficult but not impossible for a resident to obtain. I can't provide any details on how to do it because OPSEC.
View Quote
Who are "state authorities" in this instance?  I'm guessing the same bunch of clowns who wear blue uniforms and couldn't cite a single line from the MGL's to back this up but would gladly throw you in a cage "because gunz"!

It does not meet the definition of "pistol" in MA.  They are making things up as they go along.  As per usual.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I was told when I bought my Shockwave that the VSP considers it a pistol as far as enforcement purposes go but it's recorded as "other".

Of course I don't know if that is true or not and I'm not about to ask for clarification from the VSP. When I'm out and about with it I will have it in plain sight or cased as I don't know if my CHP will cover me or not.

I suspect as it regards these "not a shotgun" shotguns a bunch of state agencies across the land are making up stuff as they go along.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was told when I bought my Shockwave that the VSP considers it a pistol as far as enforcement purposes go but it's recorded as "other".

Of course I don't know if that is true or not and I'm not about to ask for clarification from the VSP. When I'm out and about with it I will have it in plain sight or cased as I don't know if my CHP will cover me or not.

I suspect as it regards these "not a shotgun" shotguns a bunch of state agencies across the land are making up stuff as they go along.
View Quote
Getting legal advice from the police is about as good as getting it from your local gunshop.  

These definitions are codified in law for a reason.  If something does not fall into a pre-defined category one cannot simply assign one that is best suited for their purpose of enforcement.  That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I guess cops can buy it and sell it to someone else or as an out of state resident moving in I can bring it in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I guess cops can buy it and sell it to someone else or as an out of state resident moving in I can bring it in.
View Quote
Or you could just buy one from a dealer who isn't a pussy.  

It's not illegal to own or sell in MA.  It's also not a pistol so CMR's do not apply to dealers in this case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I was at a Cabella's in Maine and they said they currently can't/won't carry the Shockwave because of something with the ATF.

Did the ATF recently start questioning (again) whether this is considered a firearm vs. an SBR?

Curious how many of these have been sold since they hit the market. Seems like they're hard to find, but I'm not sure if it's because they sell fast or because stores are afraid to stock them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#22]
There are a few decent videos of the Shockwave.

There's a comparison article between this and the Remington Tac-14, but it's basically specs.

Asylum Weaponry Gatekeeper looks identical to the Mossberg. I've never heard of this company though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top