Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2017 11:05:16 PM EDT
I finally have my Model 11 Form 1 back, so it's time to get the project finished up. The stock and forend that came on it were OK. The stock was loose fitting, and I wanted the finger groove forend. So I picked up a new one from Numrich. I get the parts today. Whoever made the forend included a plastic spacer to make up from where the original had wood. I'm going to test fire it tomorrow, but the new forend with plastic spacer causes the barrel to pushed back into the receiver more. 

Here's the forend that came on it. Notice the barrel step is visible:

Here's the replacement. Wood is a lot thicker all around, which doesn't bother me. Should mean it will hold up better. No locating pins, not sure if that's a deal breaker. Notice the barrel step is now flush with the receiver. This also now keeps the charging handle from beating the receiver up. 

Which one is the correct position? I can always cut the plastic spacer down to return the new to the originals location. I have a feeling based on the limited pictures I can find online, is that the new forend is correctly locating the barrel in the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent you an IM before I saw the rest of the pictures.The barrel extension HUMP should be flush with the front of thr receiver as in the later pics. You are correct that in that config the bolt handle will not beat the front of the receiver to hell and back. Also be sure you have the friction rings set properly according to what kind of ammo you will be shooting. Do a bing/google search for A5 friction rings and you will see that there are different combinations and locations (between receiver and recoil spring if using low brass etc). Proper ring placement will alleviate potential cycling problems.

I have been shooting the same 1950s vintage A5s for a very long time and have found them to be very forgiving with most any ammo i have used, with ONE notable exception. Low brass shell with lighter shot charges like skeet loads can be finicky unless the rings are right.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to help.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay. I'll grab some more pics of the forend. 
This one runs the Walmart special 100 Rd boxes on the ring setup for mag/buckshot. It has troubles with slugs and I wonder if the improper barrel  setup was the cause 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the new forend next to old:

Old Forend. Notice the bolt is a lot further forward. 

New Forend:

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Picture 4 is the correct appearance when resting.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
In that 3rd pic you can see where the wood is supposed be by the step in the cut in the wood.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
There is imo obvious wear in the old forend that is allowing the bolt and barrel too much forward travel, which as noted will beat the receiver to crap. Looks like you are on the right track with the new parts.

Are you going to be doing any other mods like a short barrel etc. If so, please post up in this thread. I have an old Rem 11, an A5 Clone, that I was thinking about chopping down to 18 inches for a beater truck/HD gun. One that I wouldn't care if it got messed in the course of time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There is imo obvious wear in the old forend that is allowing the bolt and barrel too much forward travel, which as noted will beat the receiver to crap. Looks like you are on the right track with the new parts.

Are you going to be doing any other mods like a short barrel etc. If so, please post up in this thread. I have an old Rem 11, an A5 Clone, that I was thinking about chopping down to 18 inches for a beater truck/HD gun. One that I wouldn't care if it got messed in the course of time.
View Quote
Barrel is 13" as of a couple days ago. It had 18.5" for the longest time. I ran quite a few rounds through it today with the new forend on. Runs good. Still hates slugs. I think I need some more tension on the extractor (new extractor), and maybe a new carrier dog spring. I don't mind if it will only run target and buckshot as it's a range toy, but wouldn't mind slugs. Yeah with this thing being 100 yrs old, and without a manual or detailed pictures, I had no idea what the forend is supposed to look like. I just figured that notch was supposed to be there :D

I'm going to send it out this week hopefully to get threaded for chokes and a bead added. Then to Cerakoter. Thinking a battle worn finish with midnight blue or something..

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
On my browning, that "step" is flush with the face of the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On my browning, that "step" is flush with the face of the receiver.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Barrel is 13" as of a couple days ago. It had 18.5" for the longest time. I ran quite a few rounds through it today with the new forend on. Runs good. Still hates slugs. I think I need some more tension on the extractor (new extractor), and maybe a new carrier dog spring. I don't mind if it will only run target and buckshot as it's a range toy, but wouldn't mind slugs. Yeah with this thing being 100 yrs old, and without a manual or detailed pictures, I had no idea what the forend is supposed to look like. I just figured that notch was supposed to be there :D

I'm going to send it out this week hopefully to get threaded for chokes and a bead added. Then to Cerakoter. Thinking a battle worn finish with midnight blue or something..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4113/35578648191_a75ff26fa3_b.jpg
View Quote
Actually that looks fantastic as is - Nice job!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I wholeheartedly agree with Cherenkov. That little blaster looks freakin great just the way it is!! I wouldn't waste the money on cerakote for that. Bead...YES. Chokes probably, Cerakote.. nope. Just me though.

Dammit Buffman, now ya got me thinking about chopping down the Remington, dammit, dammit, dammit.

ETA: Brownells should have all the springs you need. Not a bad Idea to replace them all if you don't know the prior ownership history, nor is it a bad idea to have a set for the future.......
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dammit Buffman, now ya got me thinking about chopping down the Remington, dammit, dammit, dammit.

View Quote
I bought a beat up pre-model 11 intending to register and chop(got it for $135).

Then I realized it was 110 years old and escaped the Cutts compensator craze-it seems wrong to cut it up now. Now I'm looking for one that's been modified somehow to cut. What sucks is, I sold one at a gunshow last year that I'd bought thinking it WAS unmodified, got home and realized it had been cut to 25" barrel. Would have been perfect.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wholeheartedly agree with Cherenkov. That little blaster looks freakin great just the way it is!! I wouldn't waste the money on cerakote for that. Bead...YES. Chokes probably, Cerakote.. nope. Just me though.

ETA: Brownells should have all the springs you need. Not a bad Idea to replace them all if you don't know the prior ownership history, nor is it a bad idea to have a set for the future.......
View Quote
My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
View Quote
The only reason I want to cerakote it is, I've had the receiver milled in a spot or two to take heavy marks out of it. :D

All of the springs have been replaced at this point now except for the carrier dog spring. Trying to find the original design that uses the pin in the receiver to hold it down.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The only reason I want to cerakote it is, I've had the receiver milled in a spot or two to take heavy marks out of it. :D

All of the springs have been replaced at this point now except for the carrier dog spring. Trying to find the original design that uses the pin in the receiver to hold it down.
View Quote
Since the receiver is blued, I'd try to touch it up and blend with some of the higher end cold blue options and heat - you might be surprise how it hides things and easy to touch up later.  

I think the wear adds character, but I've refinished my fair share of old shotguns guns with a variety of spray finishes too - its up to you, and the look you want - but it looks nice as is.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Google and download the Field Service Manual. It'll tell you, among many other things, how to fit a new forend.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
^ Yeah I found the Browning and it states the barrel extension should be flush with the receiver. Looks like we're good to go on the new forend :D
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
^ Yeah I found the Browning and it states the barrel extension should be flush with the receiver. Looks like we're good to go on the new forend :D
View Quote
Interesting-my magnum 12 has a slight step outside the receiver too, and a matching notch in the back end of the forend for clearance-looks like it's meant to sit like that. Bolt/barrel with the action closed looks like OP's gun with the new wood. My high round count, beat up Remington 11 has the barrel extension completely flush with the front of the receiver though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
That thing is beautiful
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]
God that is fucking hot sex.  

I can't wait for my stamp to get back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top