Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 12:30:29 AM EDT
So, my father in law has offered to buy me a gun for a graduation present. He said it could be anything I want, but I know that doesn't mean a grand or more. With that in mind, I was looking to get a nice bird gun that will last me a long time. I have always liked over under shotguns and I think they're classy. Is an over under just too difficult for bird hunting? I've only been once and will go no more than twice a year in the future now that I don't have school.

As far as what is out there, I'm not sure what is good, what isn't worth the money, and what just plain doesn't work. I've looked at Mossberg and the CZ USA Redhead models. I have a Mossberg pump, and I love it, but I don't have a hard on for the Mossberg brand. I'm not sure what else is out there worth looking at.

Is an over under a bad idea?
Is the CZ USA or Mossberg a good place to look?
Is there something better?
Any other thoughts or opinions?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is that its better to have a good autoloader than a bad o/u.   Buy the best gun you can for the money you have to spend.  For $1000 or less I'd look at an A300 outlander.

That said, if all you're going to do is hunt upland bird, maybe shooting a few boxes of shells a year the cz guns would be ok and would likely last you many seasons.  

Low budget o/u's are really kind of a crapshoot.  You might get one that will stand up to 1000s of rounds and never have a problem.  You might not get that one is the risk you take.   From what I've seen the cz's have improved since they first came out and cz is, I think, a strong enough co. that it should be around for a while to deal with warranty issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
An older 870 chambered for up to 3 1/2 shells or a stoeger m3500.

Broken a winchester 1300 and a mossberg 835. Won't go that route again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The best bird guns have two barrels. They are easier to hit with than pumps or autoloaders in my opinion. I really  like the way they balance and come to the shoulder.  I have a 20 gauge Browning Citori and a 12 gauge CZ Drake.  If I was limited to only 1 it would be the 20.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Either a Beretta auto or a used Beretta or Browning O/U
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The CZ O/U's are nice well built guns.  I would also look for a used Ruger Red Label.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#6]
For an O/U in your price range, look for a used Browning Citori, Beretta 686 or SKB.  All three of those are well made and will outlast you.

Avoid the Turkish and Russian made crap.  If you shoot much at all, you will be disappointed in the fit, finish, function, barrel indexing (or lack thereof) and overall longevity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either a Beretta auto or a used Beretta or Browning O/U
View Quote
Silver Pigeon is the answer
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The CZ O/U's are nice well built guns.  I would also look for a used Ruger Red Label.
View Quote
This...forget the Moss...for the record the CZ would be my choice.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what kind of bird hunting - doves - get a Silver Pigeon Sporting.

Quail - get a standard Silver Pigeon.

If you want to get an Auto Loader - looks at the Beretta 390 sporting.

oh and congrats!

Red
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to everyone who responded. And more info is always welcome. I'll look into everything mentioned. He's the kind of guy to walk into Cabelas and buy a shotgun rather than find it used. But I'll look around the area for the ones you've mentioned. I'll make sure to post a pic when I get something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Beretta or Browning for an O/U or a Benelli M2 or Montefeltro for an auto.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Used beretta or browning. 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a CZ Canvasback in 20 gauge.  Ran it for three years without a hitch.  Trap, skeet, field.  Nice gun for the money.  Sold it when I got my Franchi Instinct, which is a beautiful bird gun but just over your price range.  

I'm a firm believer in Italian shotguns.  Brownings swing like an overweight two by four.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For an O/U in your price range, look for a used Browning Citori, Beretta 686 or SKB.  All three of those are well made and will outlast you.

Avoid the Turkish and Russian made crap.  If you shoot much at all, you will be disappointed in the fit, finish, function, barrel indexing (or lack thereof) and overall longevity.
View Quote
This. I got a new in box citori white lightning for $1k as a "used" gun.

I like overunder for upland especially with a pointer(shots are usually close) A 26" is easy to swing and fairly light.

If semi auto is your thing they are more versitle for waterfowl too(3rd shot) and I don't feel as bad beating up a camo gun as a nice wood and blued over under.

The Winchester sx3 is my auto preference.

I shoot skeet with both. It's all what you get used to and either route will serve you well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
An older 870 chambered for up to 3 1/2 shells or a stoeger m3500.

Broken a winchester 1300 and a mossberg 835. Won't go that route again.
View Quote
I used to have the same opinion of 12 gauge-non 3.5 capable was a dealbreaker unless it was an old gun I liked. Then I shot a few.

If you must have 3 1/2" magnum buy a 10 gauge. Your shoulder will thank you. I missed a lot of great deals when I insisted on 3 1/2" chambers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top