Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2017 12:15:15 PM EDT
What are some things to look out for when buying used.

I want to make a SBS, so I really do not want to cut up a beautiful Belgium made shotgun, but other then shooting one I know nothing about the platform.

Any gotchas, or links for some knowledge?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy replacement bbl, chop that?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy replacement bbl, chop that?
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.... do the barrels need to be fitted or something?  I am a total newbie on the A5

I do not own an A5 either, so is there a specific model/year I should look out for that lends itself best to SBS?  I have seen some gorgeous ones in the pic threads in here, and another thread in here pushed me over the edge so to speak to go on the hunt for a donor LOL  

What year/model of an Auto-5 would an A5 professional seek out to be specifically turned into a short barrel shotgun?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Might seem like a dumb question, but have you shot an A5 before? It's recoil operated (not gas) so it's a different beast.  ETA: just reread the OP and it looks like you have shot one before.

I used to shoot a 12g A5 dove hunting and hated it (it was my pop's). I got an 1100 and life was much better. Just wondering if you have a specific reason for an A5 or just want an auto loader.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Safety inside the front of the trigger guard makes it an "old one".

Cross bolt safety in the trigger guard makes it a "new" one (I think sometime in the 50's).

They have to be set up right with the friction rings for the power of the ammo you're shooting.  Set the friction rings up wrong or put some lube on the magazine tube and it'll kick you harder than if set up correctly.

Keep the hand nut that tightens/holds the barrel in place good and tight or you could end up with a cracked handguard on the rear of it.

Awesome guns.  I wish I'd run across one of the old ones 40 years ago instead of a couple years back.  I'd have done a lot of grouse/turkey hunting with it.

If you want to treat it rough, Ramline makes a synthetic stock/forend for Auto 5's.

If you find you need/want to replace springs, friction rings, etc.  Midwest Gun Works  I got screws, springs, friction rings, etc. from these folks.

If you want to tear into the receiver to inspect/clean/replace parts you'll need special thin bladed screw drivers.  I ordered mine from Brownells.

Thin bladed screwdriver tips and handle

There's a tricky spot or two inside the receiver, so go slow and pay attention so you can get it back together.  Might even be a youtube guide video for it, but I never looked.

Good luck with it.

Oh, I don't think mine kicks that bad.  Certainly not as bad as my M37 Ithaca or M97 Winchester (nothing that heavy should kick that hard).
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Might seem like a dumb question, but have you shot an A5 before? It's recoil operated (not gas) so it's a different beast.  ETA: just reread the OP and it looks like you have shot one before.

I used to shoot a 12g A5 dove hunting and hated it (it was my pop's). I got an 1100 and life was much better. Just wondering if you have a specific reason for an A5 or just want an auto loader.
View Quote
Valid question.  

The first shotgun I ever shot was a .410 bolt action, and that would be a neat, but not very cool SBS; I think a Taurus Judge holds more rounds....

The first "real" shotgun I ever fired as a youngster was an A5.  It was also my first semi auto.  It bruised me up pretty good after a few boxes of shells

I have seen a lot of SB Benelli's in the picture threads, but there is something about a shorty A5 style that calls to me.  I hope I am not making a bad decision...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
*SNIP*
View Quote
Perfect, thanks for typing that out.  

I would like to find a rough one to cut down.  I really don't want to hurt a survivor.

Is there a difference in the Belgium/Japanese manufacturer etc or does it matter?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:31:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you have the recoil system (friction rings) set up for light loads when you were dove hunting?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would like to find a rough one to cut down.  I really don't want to hurt a survivor.

Is there a difference in the Belgium/Japanese manufacturer etc or does it matter?
View Quote
I see "cheap" ones at gun shows every so often.  Almost bought another one, or two, since my first one, but I just don't need more guns I'm not shooting.

I got mine for $295 and it was graded "poor condition".  I got it home, removed the wood, took some 0000 steel wool and 3n1 oil to it and the darn thing was mostly blue (not brown) under the light brown coating of surface rust and it only one pit in the finish.  By the numbers it appears to have been made in 1934 (same year my dad was born).  

Funny story about mine - when I bought it I took it to the range and shot a box of cheap/low powered ammo through it and it worked fine.  When I got around to tearing it apart to inspect and replace springs I found the magazine spring had, at some point, broken on a previous owner.  They appeared to have taken a couple pairs of pliers and bent/twisted the broken ends around each other like a tie on bread bag.  The darn thing had worked like this for years.  I didn't find it till I took the spring out.  Now it has a new spring and extended mag. tube on it.

Did you know the old ones were pretty much hand fitted together?  The four big screws in the sides (on mine anyway) have the last four digits of the serial number stamped into the screw head.  The screws that hold the butt stock on have the serial number stamped into the screw between the head and the threads.

The spring operating spring, that pushes the bolt forward to chamber the next round, has a wooden spring guide inside it.  Wood!!  Mine was so oil soaked it was black and I thought it was some kind of plastic or bakelite stuff till I cleaned the old oil/grease/powder out/off it.  Then I realized it was a wooden rod.  I don't know what kind of wood they used but it's tough.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonderful guns.  I got into trap shooting a few years ago and was using my dad's old Mossy 500 for a long time, but then got into skeet and sporting clays.  I was starting to look for a dedicated clay gun when I read a book about the history of Browning and instantly became enamored with the idea of an A-5.  I searched high and low at gun shows, LGS, pawn shops, and online till I found the perfect one.  It's an 80's Japanese steel magnum with a 30" barrel threaded for invector chokes. I paid $650 and feel like I got a steal, I routinely see worse ones at gun shows going for $800+.  

One thing to consider is what kind of loads you want to shoot out of it.  This is one thing I didn't realize at the time, but the "Light 12" version are aluminum receivers and only made to shoot 2-3/4" shells.  The Magnum 12s are a steel receiver and rated for 3" magnum loads.  You can shoot 2-3/4" shells but you need the correct spring (thinner wire) and friction pieces off of a Light 12 to do it.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One thing to consider is what kind of loads you want to shoot out of it.  This is one thing I didn't realize at the time, but the "Light 12" version are aluminum receivers and only made to shoot 2-3/4" shells.  The Magnum 12s are a steel receiver and rated for 3" magnum loads.  You can shoot 2-3/4" shells but you need the correct spring (thinner wire) and friction pieces off of a Light 12 to do it.  
View Quote
I did not know this, thank you!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wonderful guns.  I got into trap shooting a few years ago and was using my dad's old Mossy 500 for a long time, but then got into skeet and sporting clays.  I was starting to look for a dedicated clay gun when I read a book about the history of Browning and instantly became enamored with the idea of an A-5.  I searched high and low at gun shows, LGS, pawn shops, and online till I found the perfect one.  It's an 80's Japanese steel magnum with a 30" barrel threaded for invector chokes. I paid $650 and feel like I got a steal, I routinely see worse ones at gun shows going for $800+.  

View Quote
Negative.....I just bought a 1957 FN-made Light Twelve and the receiver is steel.....It's the Ultra Light/Super Light that had the alum. receivers as well as the Savage clone.

My Light Twelve with magnet on receiver.... Steel sight hood used to show it's a magnet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Negative.....I just bought a 1957 FN-made Light Twelve and the receiver is steel.....It's the Ultra Light/Super Light that had the alum. receivers as well as the Savage clone.

My Light Twelve with magnet on receiver.... Steel sight hood used to show it's a magnet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN6271--2--189946.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN6271--2--189946.JPG
Truth. My FN Belgian Light 12 has a steel receiver.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
All good information.  

Thanks for posting gentleman!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#15]
If are specifically wanting to SBS it, look for the Remington model 11 also. Usually cheaper and less fancy than the Brownings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If are specifically wanting to SBS it, look for the Remington model 11 also. Usually cheaper and less fancy than the Brownings.
View Quote
This right here. I picked one up a 2 weeks ago for $250, early 20's production.

Don't think it had been taken apart in decades, but with Youtube and memories from taking apart my Model 8, it wasn't terrible at all.
Apart, cleaned, and back together in about an hour.

FWIW the same show had a Savage 720 with a Poly choke for $400, and then a Charles Daly (Japanese built copy) for $350.
The A'5's I saw where all north of $600.

Keep an eye out on less traveled tables. Gentleman I bought mine from was at the far end of the show with only a handful of items for sale, seemed happy to have someone stop by.

Good luck, I bought mine due to the same thought process you are experiencing now
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Well dang it, just when I get some good candidates lined up, more information, and plans are forced to change....

Maybe I will just do two of them?  A pretty wood and blued A5 and a synthetic and park'd 11?  You guys are bad for me
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#18]
If you haven't already, go dig through the Shotgun section over at Simpsons LTD. They have various A5's and copies all over the pricing scale, find a few you like
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well dang it, just when I get some good candidates lined up, more information, and plans are forced to change....

Maybe I will just do two of them?  A pretty wood and blued A5 and a synthetic and park'd 11?  You guys are bad for me
View Quote
Keep in mind there is no synthetic stock set readily available for the model 11.

The 11s are easy to find and they chop nice. Most military and law enforcement shotguns were usually remingtons and not brownings. You are not losing anything not using a browning.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I checked out Simpsons, a little more $$ then local, but they do have some neat stuff on there!

And thanks for the tip on the synthetic stock.  I had just ASSumed they were the same stocks.

After further review I want to find a slightly newer version with the easier to load two piece shell carrier.

I am going to hit up the LGS and see what kinda deals I can make.  Hopefully they are a little hungry post election and will work with me on some old tired iron.

Then I need to order some ink to complete some fingerprint cards.

Watch this space....
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:35:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I checked out Simpsons, a little more $ then local, but they do have some neat stuff on there!

And thanks for the tip on the synthetic stock.  I had just ASSumed they were the same stocks.

After further review I want to find a slightly newer version with the easier to load two piece shell carrier.

I am going to hit up the LGS and see what kinda deals I can make.  Hopefully they are a little hungry post election and will work with me on some old tired iron.

Then I need to order some ink to complete some fingerprint cards.

Watch this space....
View Quote
It depends.  Remington had 3 types of stocks if I remember right.  There is a member here who has the browning synthetic on his Remington and it fits fine.  On mine the forend fits, but the stock looks like this.

Non issue since you're going with an A5, but I like sharing info.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
No, sharing info is good!  Everyone should have a SBS A5, so we should make a sticky/FAQ

And it looks like I am striking out everywhere local.  

What is the story on these new A5s?  Are they some inertia drive setup?  Because brand new A5s are the only thing on the shelf around here.  

Time to hit up the online/gun broker sites.  

To be continued...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
New A5s are short recoil, IIRC.  Original A5s were long recoil as John Moses Browning (PBUH) himself designed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]

While not as practical as the 12ga, 16ga Remingtons can be picked up cheap and the smaller frames handle great.

Supposedly Clyde Barrow favored the 16ga.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/455SD/Mobile%20Uploads/b7957eeb-fbe6-4c2e-94fa-2d1d2b979a3a_zps9ac0c233.jpg

While not as practical as the 12ga, 16ga Remingtons can be picked up cheap and the smaller frames handle great.

View Quote
I love 16 gauge,  however There is only one factory loaded  (Federal) buckshot for 16 gauge I have found.  Its a great gauge and I love mine, but the factory loads are limited, available ammo is spotty and a little more pricey.  Its my go to gauge for bird hunting.  But for range fun gun - its not as economical for shooting, which is likely why they are bargains.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Check the set-up of the recoil system. If it is set-up incorrectly, it could indicate an abused past, particularly if parts of the system are MISSING!

Inspect the rear of the "humpback" and look for dents and deformation. Again, this is a sign of abuse. The Remington model 11 had a felt buffer between the bolt and the inside of the humback, secured with a blind rivet. Look for this.

Inspect the receiver for buggered screws. Not only is this unsightly but it is an indication that somebody who did not know what they were doing was messing with the gun. JMB did not intend for the internal components of the receiver to be user serviceable. The use of very narrow slots in the screw heads was designed to make it foolproof. Unfortunately, fools can be very resourceful so more than one A5 have been fucked up by I.R. Bubba Gunsmith.

Check the forend for cracks. Cracking near the rear of the wood forend is common in these guns, especially if shot with the wrong recoil configuration (see above).

Beyond the Browning A5, consider a Remington model 11 or Savage model 720. Same design but usually sell for a few bucks less.

Otherwise, make sure the bolt locks back, make sure the safety engages, perform a function check. Look at the overall appearance for consistent wear and patina. Check for a loose or ill-fitting buttstock to receiver connection.

Be aware that an aftermarket (not factory installed) variable choke system will lower value. These are good barrels to consider for a chop job.

I own an a Belgian A5 Light-twelve and a 1927 mfg Remington model 11. I really enjoy owning and shooting these guns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/455SD/Mobile%20Uploads/b7957eeb-fbe6-4c2e-94fa-2d1d2b979a3a_zps9ac0c233.jpg

View Quote
In my AO, 16ga guns command a premium.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an Ithica 37 16 gauge; I think it would be a sin to chop a good 16 gauge, IMHO only...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#30]
@Makarov

Thanks for the good information!

What an exhausting search.

Gun broker was a solid "meh"- some of the shipping fees, like $80, it's not an overnight pistol- and payment methods are head scratchers, only a cashiers check?

I even put up a want ad.

One fellow replied he had an 11 for $300; and it actually looked serviceable in the picture.  After I replied showing interest, the price went up to $350....  yeah, no thanks

I finally just broke down and ordered one in.  At least it is a true Browning, slightly newer model with the cross bolt safety, hopefully a 2 piece carrier, and it has been beat with the ugly stick/already modified so I can chop it up, re-stock it, and refinish it without feeling the least bit guilty about getting bad voodoo from the gun spirits.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#31]
That looks like a great candidate for the chopping block.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Before dropping the money make sure the forend isn't cracked. They crack easily when someone shoots them with the friction rings set up for the wrong load. If the seller will let you pull the forend off and look for wear on the inside bottom, indicating being hit by the moving parts. While it's off make sure the friction rings are there. For a magnum that's 2 bronze and 3 steel rings. For any other model that's one bronze and one steel. Not a deal breaker if a magnum with uncracked forend is missing the magnum setup-the parts are $25 total on midway.

Beyond that find the gauge and condition you want. My area, you'd be looking at $350-$400 for a rough one and $750+ for a truly nice one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Japanese will be better for your project. The Belgian are more collectible, and there are those who believe anyone modifying one of them should have their ass removed. Japanese guns are made as good, they just say Japan on them instead of Belgium.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Japanese will be better for your project. The Belgian are more collectible, and there are those who believe anyone modifying one of them should have their ass removed. Japanese guns are made as good, they just say Japan on them instead of Belgium.
View Quote
I got the one in the picture a few posts above.  Let's just say, I was not the first to modify it so I will not be the first one in line for the ass removal; I'm just going to make it a whole lot cooler (well, after an 8 to 12 month wait for a stamp...)

Thanks for the input.  I could not find any cheap Japanese models.  Closest one was 2 hours away and $600.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I got the one in the picture a few posts above.  Let's just say, I was not the first to modify it so I will not be the first one in line for the ass removal; I'm just going to make it a whole lot cooler (well, after an 8 to 12 month wait for a stamp...)

Thanks for the input.  I could not find any cheap Japanese models.  Closest one was 2 hours away and $600.
View Quote
Yeah, in the condition you got yours in, it's already messed with, so no worries there-I should have included that in my original reply. No idea what they were thinking with that stock shape.

I just got a lead on a Savage version for $150, I really want it for a SBS donor but there's a catch. The barrel has been cut for choke tubes. I hate the idea of cutting the barrel when it already has chokes, but for the price...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, that is a bummer on the barrel already threaded for chokes.

Did you see the Savage that @bfmcleaky did?

Its just a few threads down in this forum.  His thread was the inspiration for me to start my project.  Just wish the tax stamps did not take so long.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yeah, that is a bummer on the barrel already threaded for chokes.

Did you see the Savage that @bfmcleaky did?

Its just a few threads down in this forum.  His thread was the inspiration for me to start my project.  Just wish the tax stamps did not take so long.
View Quote
Yep, I saw that one too. The Savage I mentioned is in too rough of condition(looked at it today, lots of cracks in the wood) but I found a Remington-pre model 11 for $200 that I'm considering now. Can't register and cut till after July, but it might be a good donor-stock is already cut.

I already have an Auto-5 that I got in trade from another member but it's beautiful condition(90%+) and cut for chokes so it's one of my nice weather bird guns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Bought a factory 21" bbl FN once for next to nothing. Stock was buggered. Turned out the trigger plate was set up for a straight stock and bubba put a standard stock on it. Priced out original straight buttstocks. More than I paid, much more. Got rid of the bbl and forearm for more than I paid for the whole rig. Coolest thing about FN was that everything was serial numbered, even the screw. Old school craftsmanship.Sarco had NIW receivers recently for something like $40. 
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Something to keep in mind with the very early A5's is they might not have a standard 2 3/4" chamber. A friend of mine has one(I think he said it goes back to 1905) with a 2 9/16" chamber. This might also be a part of why so many old ones have cracked forends. More pressure/recoil than intended from firing too-long ammo, barrel comes back harder than normal...Sure, setting up the friction rings wrong does it, but wrong ammo 50+ years after the gun was made, shot by someone who didn't know 2 3/4 isn't the shortest round that was used would be an easy mistake.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Shotgun arrived today, much as pictured.

Bummer is only one piece lifter, so no speed load until the proper parts are fitted... but it is not like I have the ATF wait time to get that done....

The one F-U-C-K-E-D U-P thing was the engraving by Simpson's on the shotgun itself.  It already had a serial number and manufacturer...

Yup, tatoo'd that SOB along the receiver.  

Why?

It's like a used car sticker on a trunk lid.  

If I was not planning on re-finishing it, I would be PISSED!  LOL

Never ordering from them again, that is for sure.

If this had been a rare or fine finish weapon- I would probably driven it back personally  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why?

It's like a used car sticker on a trunk lid.  

If I was not planning on re-finishing it, I would be PISSED!  LOL

Never ordering from them again, that is for sure.

If this had been a rare or fine finish weapon- I would probably driven it back personally  
View Quote
Imported(recently, I know a Belgian gun was imported at least once)? If it was in a batch of guns they got from overseas I'm pretty sure they're required to engrave. I'd be a bit irritated too, though. Deal on the pre model 11 I was eying fell through, cracked forend and buttstock, and more finish wear than I remembered. It's worth the $200 they want, just not to me.  

As for the two piece lifter, it's a cool feature, but not one I use a whole lot. That might change when pheasant season opens and I actually start using the gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#42]
My Simpson ltd shotgun also has function problems.  My listed as 'mechanically fine' shotgun holds only 2 rounds.  I ASS-UMED things were okay, but when I decided to take it out and mess with it, I learned it would only hold 2 shells.  No worries, it is the plug, right?  So later, I take the nut off, and the magazine spring ejects; no magazine spring retainer.  

And the missing capacity is not because of a plug.  Some asshole bubba decided to peen the magazine tube with a punch all over so the follower only travels deep enough for a few shells.  It would have been nice to know about this permanent modification before I purchased.  Now I have to replace the mag tube.  I will not do business with that company again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My Simpson ltd shotgun also has function problems.  My listed as 'mechanically fine' shotgun holds only 2 rounds.  I ASS-UMED things were okay, but when I decided to take it out and mess with it, I learned it would only hold 2 shells.  No worries, it is the plug, right?  So later, I take the nut off, and the magazine spring ejects; no magazine spring retainer.  

And the missing capacity is not because of a plug.  Some asshole bubba decided to peen the magazine tube with a punch all over so the follower only travels deep enough for a few shells.  It would have been nice to know about this permanent modification before I purchased.  Now I have to replace the mag tube.  I will not do business with that company again.
View Quote
Ouch-would it be feasible to use a dent remover on this tube like they do with the 870 Express to make it accept magazine extensions? not sure if one will reach that far down the tube but if it will, it might be cheaper than a new tube-and will very likely be easier to find than a magazine tube for a discontinued shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ouch-would it be feasible to use a dent remover on this tube like they do with the 870 Express to make it accept magazine extensions? not sure if one will reach that far down the tube but if it will, it might be cheaper than a new tube-and will very likely be easier to find than a magazine tube for a discontinued shotgun.
View Quote
That is a good idea, and would probably work if it was not Bubba-ized.  These are not normal dimples.  They beat on it bad enough that they took a mill bastard file to the outside of the magazine tube to scrape it round again when they were done with their "work".  The dimples are not even-spaced or even circumferential.  

I thought about just cutting it short, and tig welding a un-molested section back on, kinda creating a short hand guard variation like the one that Tromix built, but, unfortunately, I lack the Tony/Tromix wizard skills to make a radically altered shotgun function , and I found a new tube already and will thread that one on.

thanks for the suggestion tho.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have you contacted Simpson?

I've bought from them several times without issue, so I can't speak to how their customer service is when it comes to resolving problems, but I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to make it right by you -- they're one of the more reputable retailers I've dealt with.
View Quote
To be honest, I was not expecting much for what I paid.  And I was not going to say anything.  But did you see the other Simpson shotgun thread?  Maybe they should look these things over a little better- before they tatoo them with their engraver maybe?  Figured I should speak up after reading that...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will think on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is a good idea, and would probably work if it was not Bubba-ized.  These are not normal dimples.  They beat on it bad enough that they took a mill bastard file to the outside of the magazine tube to scrape it round again when they were done with their "work".  The dimples are not even-spaced or even circumferential.  

I thought about just cutting it short, and tig welding a un-molested section back on, kinda creating a short hand guard variation like the one that Tromix built, but, unfortunately, I lack the Tony/Tromix wizard skills to make a radically altered shotgun function , and I found a new tube already and will thread that one on.

thanks for the suggestion tho.
View Quote
That's too bad on the mods-I want to say it sounds like someone was a big duck hunter when the 3 round limit became law and figured a permanent mod would take away the worry of forgetting to put the plug in. The things people come up with sometimes!

And you're right about Tony-he's definitely got some serious skills. A few builds that I'd like to know what he was thinking, but what the hell-he was able to get them to work. He's got the time to do it, why not?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's too bad on the mods-I want to say it sounds like someone was a big duck hunter when the 3 round limit became law and figured a permanent mod would take away the worry of forgetting to put the plug in. The things people come up with sometimes!

And you're right about Tony-he's definitely got some serious skills. A few builds that I'd like to know what he was thinking, but what the hell-he was able to get them to work. He's got the time to do it, why not?
View Quote
Tony's A5 is a looker, I admit it makes my pants a little tight; nice proportions.  

Judging by the missing magazine spring retainer, they just decided to take matters into their own hands after launching the plug into the nether.  So instead of whittling a new plug from a stick, they did the bubba job.  Appears it happened after a 6 pack with a hammer, punch, and some sort of course file.. or maybe they just ran it across a suitable rock  See pics...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Someone mentioned in another thread it could be saved... but I am just going to replace it and chalk it up to lesson learned.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top