User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2017 7:43:49 PM EDT
I'm obsessed.  Any words of advice?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You could watch Hard to Kill. Seagall and his actor wife get whacked by a bad cop with a "tactical" humpback but I'm not positive it's an 11.

Why did these not stay in production? 1100 come out and Browning continuing to make a similar shotgun? I've always liked a humpback but have never owned one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
They can be had reasonably. I just bought a 19" police issued model 11 a few months ago at a gun show for $265.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Was just outbid what I want to pay on gb. There is one local at a pawn shop. Maybe I'll go get it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one that is too pretty to chop (for me). But I would sell it to you...
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one that is too pretty to chop (for me). But I would sell it to you...
View Quote
Colorado is a long drive for me. Any chance you will be in Kansas soon? (Sarcasm)
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
No but my postman can be there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the savage, no fiber buffer to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a FFL so aware of the rules.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Now for temptation pictures...

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
That makes it a good candidate for shortening...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That makes it a good candidate for shortening...
View Quote
Don't chop history...lol

I've got Granddad's 1948 Model 11 in my safe right now. Just this past weekend it was taken apart for the first time for a detail cleaning.

I scrubbed almost seventy years of carbon and thousands of doves and squirrels hunts from it...

Currently it's slated to go to my youngest son..
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats the dilemma for me.  If I keep it I would chop the muzzle device and have choke tubes installed.  I bought it to SBS it but can't.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a FFL so aware of the rules.
View Quote
I would never break the rules.

Message sent for pics.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Just realized you posted pictures.  

I'd love one in 16 gauge that nice. Would not cut it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Polychokes and Cutts Compensators make baby Jesus cry.
View Quote
I collect them, attached to a short section of barrel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
You can search for the Alloy versions of the Savage - Look under Savage or Springfield 745.

I got one off of Gunbroker for under $150 and it was in excellent shape.  It works well.  The Savages are underappreciated.  I have found good Remington Model 11s for under $200 locally.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Success

Updates next week or whenever it gets here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Thats got a great patina, congrats.  Good price too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Success

Updates next week or whenever it gets here.
View Quote
Looks like a good buy!  When you chop it, just as an FYI if you want to add a sight - be sure you add a sight base to your front bead (as is shown on your gun) - it will change POI a bit if you don't.

I chopped one, then I just added a bead sight (lower without the base)  and impact was off a bit, added the bead base (get it from Midway) soldered it on then added the front bead - now it hits where its aimed.  On a whippit gun at close range though, maybe sights won't matter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#27]
That's where i got the sight base for mine, midway. Looked it up for 870 police to find it.
Get some new springs while you're at it too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Going to try to reuse the original front sight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I know that pain all to well. I just bought a Model 11 at the Market Hall show this weekend specifically to cut down, possibly into a Whippet
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Was planning to do the same a couple of years ago. I ended up trading for a Model 11 at a gun show.  Turns out that it is a pre Model 11 with a trap stock. Too rare to cut up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They can be had reasonably. I just bought a 19" police issued model 11 a few months ago at a gun show for $265.  
View Quote
I just recently sold one. Not police issued but barrel had been cut to 25" so with no originality to worry about ruining it would have been a good foundation for such a project.

Got a 26", 1998 Auto-5 today in trade though, so I have a humpback in the cabinet again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Poly's maybe but Cutts are very super Kool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Polychokes and Cutts Compensators make baby Jesus cry.
Poly's maybe but Cutts are very super Kool.
I painstakingly accrued a set of chokes and wooden box for the cutts comp and someone stole the shotgun they were for...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are these copies of the Browning or vise versa?

Looks a lot like my Browning sweet sixteen
View Quote
They are Browning designed  Sort of a copy - With some of Brownings designs its hard to justify the term "copy" since Browning himself never made many firearms as a manufacturer to copy, he was essentially a designer and sold his patents to manufacturers like Remington and Winchester, FN etc.  He sold the rights to Remington and FN for the semi-auto shotgun after Winchester scoffed at the idea.  Savage had bought several of his designs, (520 shotgun for example).  Not exactly sure how Savage gained the rights to the design or if merely the patent in the US expired and Savage utilized it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are these copies of the Browning or vise versa?

Looks a lot like my Browning sweet sixteen
View Quote
To this point, Browning had sold most of his designs to Winchester.  For the autoloading shotgun, he wanted royalties on sales instead of a flat fee for the design.  Winchester refused the terms, so Browning went to Remington.  The president of Remington died of a heart attack while Browning was waiting to meet him which left Remington out.  Browning was forced to sell the gun oversees to FN.  Production started in 1902.  Since there were import restriction (I think), he later licensed the design to Remington for US sales.  Remington started production of the "Autoloading Shotgun" (commonly referred to as pre-Model 11's) in 1905, then changed the name to the Model 11 in 1911.

Really, neither is a copy of the other.  Just US vs European production of the same basic design.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

To this point, Browning had sold most of his designs to Winchester.  For the autoloading shotgun, he wanted royalties on sales instead of a flat fee for the design.  Winchester refused the terms, so Browning went to Remington.  The president of Remington died of a heart attack while Browning was waiting to meet him which left Remington out.  Browning was forced to sell the gun oversees to FN.  Production started in 1902.  Since there were import restriction (I think), he later licensed the design to Remington for US sales.  Remington started production of the "Autoloading Shotgun" (commonly referred to as pre-Model 11's) in 1905, then changed the name to the Model 11 in 1911.

Really, neither is a copy of the other.  Just US vs European production of the same basic design.
View Quote
There are also Remington/Browning Auto-5's. Remington was licensed for a short time to produce Auto-5's under the Browning name. IIRC these are only distinguishable by being stamped made in New York instead of Belgium or Japan.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#37]
*cough*

There's one in the EE..

*cough*
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
*cough*

There's one in the EE..

*cough*
View Quote
It's a really nice one. Too nice to chop.

Ordered a mag extension. Probably should order springs. Might be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:10:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
@SeanC

Can you elaborate more please?

What is the best hump back, recoil operated shotgun to make a SBS out of.. A5, 11, 720?  What should I be looking for now that the OP has me looking too?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@SeanC

What is the best hump back, recoil operated shotgun to make a SBS out of.. A5, 11, 720?  What should I be looking for now that the OP has me looking too?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@SeanC

Most Remington model 11's have a fiber recoil buffer that is riveted in place at the rear of the receiver and while I have never replaced one it looks like it would not be a fun time.  Early Remington's didn't have this, but I do not know the exact year this was added.  IIRC the one I have was made in 1923 and has the buffer.  Besides some of these buffers going on being 100 years old, if you plan on getting it refinished I don't think they would survive a hot bluing or parkerizing.  

The Savage 720 and Browning A5 do not have this buffer.

IMO a Browning A5 with the two piece carrier would be best, and also the most expensive.  
The two piece carrier makes loading a bit easier, with the Savage, Remington, and older Browning's you have to hold a button down on the side of the carrier to load them.  I find it kind of awkward.

Some people have fit the Browning two piece carrier to Model 11's, if I remember right the parts needed are a bit over $100.

HTH
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Most Remington model 11's have a fiber recoil buffer that is riveted in place at the rear of the receiver and while I have never replaced one it looks like it would not be a fun time.  Early Remington's didn't have this, but I do not know the exact year this was added.  IIRC the one I have was made in 1923 and has the buffer.  Besides some of these buffers going on being 100 years old, if you plan on getting it refinished I don't think they would survive a hot bluing or parkerizing.  

The Savage 720 and Browning A5 do not have this buffer.

IMO a Browning A5 with the two piece carrier would be best, and also the most expensive.  
The two piece carrier makes loading a bit easier, with the Savage, Remington, and older Browning's you have to hold a button down on the side of the carrier to load them.  I find it kind of awkward.

Some people have fit the Browning two piece carrier to Model 11's, if I remember right the parts needed are a bit over $100.

HTH
View Quote
If you start with an older, rough condition A5 you can get into the project for $300 or so, but good luck actually finding one that rough these days-they seem to have dried up. I used to find them all the time for $250-$350. Now, the only A5's I see are nice ones for $500+. Add another $250 for work(replacing a forend that will probably be cracked, having the barrel chopped right, refinishing) and you're over $500 anyway-but that way you won't be ruining a nice one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#42]
@SeanC
@shack357

Thanks for the info.  Exactly what I needed to know.

I will probably do an A5 since it was the first auto loading shotgun I ever fired.  

And thanks for spreading the sickness OP!!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally got the Savage. Pictures later.
The Wilson combat extension won't thread on. Looks like the threads are the same but the Savage is less depth of thread. I could try and force it but hate to do that. Any one have experience with the Wilson extension on an older shotgun?

ETA It's not thread depth more thread width. The threads are more square than v.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got done going through my parts looking for something else. If anyone needs a brass friction ring and the steel band that goes around it for a 12 gauge model 11 pm your address. No charge. All I ask is that you actually need the part. This is the friction ring you'd use for light loads. I don't have the companion ring that would be used with it for heavy loads. Again, free part for whoever needs it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Tagged.  I bought an old 720 that's just begging to be cut down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Picture of the 2 different threads. Savage on the left. Anyone want to compare the Wilson threads on the right to a Remington 870 or another Wilson threaded cap?

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Cut to 18.375"

Not sure if I should return the Wilson extension. Maybe I'll find a 870 to try it on first.

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Nordic 870 nut will fit the 720, but either requires a spacer for the nut to tighten against or the threads on the magazine being shortened.  Not sure how much difference there is in the tolerancing on the threads between the Nordic and the Wilson, in that particular instance.
View Quote
The Wilson will only start a half turn at best. Haven't shortened the mag tube yet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top