Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
590 Shockwaves are hitting the shelves in Texas. I've seen several now and they're being snatched up in short order.

I have one on order with GT Distributors, but when following up several weeks ago on the status, one of the employees told me that management had decided not to order them due to the fact that they would be reclassified by the ATF and because they're illegal in Texas. I assumed he didn't know what he was talking about and figured I'd just keep waiting.

I saw several at gun shows and passed because the prices were outrageous, but then yesterday I see one at a reputable dealer I've done a bunch of business with. The person behind the counter said they had a hard time getting them because the wholesaler didn't want to sell them to them because "they're illegal in Texas". Clearly they did, but that got me to doing a little research. I found another dealer in TX who had one on Gunbroker but he would not sell to people in TX or CA. First time I've ever seen that.

Then I came across this article:
Texas & U.S. Law Shield

At the end of the day, it sounds like nobody really knows. It sure would be comforting if Mossberg or the TX Attorney General would release a statement on the legality of these in TX. If they are illegal, then Mossberg and their distributors may be jumping through hoops soon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
TX is a major disappointment when it comes to gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
curious what the final verdict will be or if there will be one
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TX is a major disappointment when it comes to gun laws.
View Quote
Yes.  Yes, it is.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I want one so Texas needs to hurry up and say yes.  I'm planning on making a Remington version though.  Already have a registered 870 with a 9.5" barrel but would love to have a small non registered version.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Oklahoma has the same problem.  But I saw one reasonably priced @ the last show I went to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is for sale at your LGS and they are willing to sell it to you, JUMP ON IT !!!!! Suprised it's legal in my UnConstitutional State of Connecticut.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a lower in the Retro section you should take a look @.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The big name stores here in Ohio are giving the same run around with legality...  So they're unicorns around here.  With that said, I found my unicorn yesterday and its just as cool as I thought it would be! Completely pointless but neat as hell!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oklahoma has the same problem.  But I saw one reasonably priced @ the last show I went to.
View Quote
Cite?

My LGS has them in stock. ..and I'm in Oklahoma
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw one of the Shockwaves hanging on the wall at Adelbridge and Co. gun shop here in San Antonio today.
With a price tag of $699, (I'm not sure if it was $599 or $699 now that I think more about it) I didn't bother asking about it. Looks pretty cool though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Saw one of the Shockwaves hanging on the wall at Adelbridge and Co. gun shop here in San Antonio today.
With a price tag of $699, (I'm not sure if it was $599 or $699 now that I think more about it) I didn't bother asking about it. Looks pretty cool though.
View Quote
For a $350 gun built in Texas?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one on order with Grab A Gun. they are the biggest online dealer I believe in the country, and said it would be no problem getting one here in Texas. My buddy is an FFL and does SBRs, cans, and MGs and pretty much knows his stuff. He said if the dealers are willing to sell it and it transfers as a Firearm, it should be no problem. Now I don't take that as legal advice, but I'm not going to be robbing liquor stores or carrying mine (much) so the chance that anything even comes up is pretty slim.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cite?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cite?

They are selling them here in OK, but our state law seems to define anything shooting multiple projectiles from a less than 18" barrel a "sawed off shotgun", and without a NFA tax stamp for the "defense to prosecution" or whatever they call it, it looks like it might be illegal to have here. I'm REALLY wanting one too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone in a Liberal area of Tx or OK needs to report one of the shops selling them to the PoPo so we can get a definitive answer to the question LOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Curious as to why Mossberg would release a product so close to the legal edge that they would describe the ATF's classification on their product page but not go one step further and list the states that allow it legally.    It appears there is a lot of interest in this model.   A significant percentage of those interested appear to be holding back because they are concerned it would be illegal.   Some are individuals and others are distributors.    I would think that Mossberg could increase the sales if they cleared up this confusion.  

Or would they hurt the sales because some states don't legally allow it but the supply chain hasn't figured that out yet?

2Hut8

Personally I would stick with an AK/AR style pistol but what do I know?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top