Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 2:21:00 PM EDT
As the 12ga model?

Been thinking about getting a 500 in 20ga for the wife to have around the house as a HD shotgun.

Will likely get the 18.5 barrel in the short stock version.

I'll likely take it out often myself and it should see some pretty heavy use if it's fun enough to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As the 12ga model?

Been thinking about getting a 500 in 20ga for the wife to have around the house as a HD shotgun.

Will likely get the 18.5 barrel in the short stock version.

I'll likely take it out often myself and it should see some pretty heavy use if it's fun enough to shoot.
View Quote

I've got a Mossy 20 gauge, purchased new in 1985.  By rough estimates over 2500 shells through it. It's held up to all the abuse I've ever put it through.

I wouldn't worry about its durability.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a new production 20ga 500 youth (wife is small).

Has about 500 shells through it. Did end up having the trigger come out of adjustment causing the safety to not want to engage. Some troubleshooting and a small Allen key had it back in proper function.

The fit/finish is pretty good for a $400 gun (with rifled and smooth bores, plus a couple chokes). Good bluing, half decent wood, tight lock up, good trigger, smooth action.

Patterns well with cheapo loads, so I'm sure the good stuff would perform as it should.

Recoil is quite mild with the factory butt pad. I barely notice it, and the wife has no complaints. She finds it stout, but controllable and painless. Just like we (average size guys) find a 12ga to be stout, but not painful.

ETA: you will find a youth 20 to be great fun. Small, light, no recoil... What's not to love? I love to shoot ours. Of course it doesn't replace my 590a1, but I will never say I'm too manly to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a 870 compact jr. And put a plus 2 on it. I LOVE THAT THING!  Shortest 20ga with 7shot capacity your gonna get.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad bought me one when I was a kid, and I still have it some 30 years later. It's really my favorite shotgun for taking into the woods.

It's killed hundreds of grouse, and squirrels and stuff. I have no idea how many shells it's fired but I'm sure it's in the thousands and it still works like a champ!
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got a Mossy 20 gauge, purchased new in 1985.  By rough estimates over 2500 shells through it. It's held up to all the abuse I've ever put it through.

I wouldn't worry about its durability.
View Quote
2500 rounds isn't close to being abuse.

Mossberg 500s are not durable IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top