Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 8:55:18 AM EDT
I have almost everything I want in my armory except for a shotgun.

My brother has an 870 with 28" barrel which I do like the feel of.  I also want to have a magazine extension.

Thoughts on this Remington 870 Express from Buds?  Will mostly be used to shoot clays and as a fun range toy.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_37_64_991/products_id/3745/*REM+870+EXP+HDWD+HOME+DEF
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest a 26" over the 28" if you want to shoot any of the 3 gun style gun games as well as skeet... if you are using it for only sporting clays or trap, then the longer barrel will work... make sure you get a vent rib RemChoke barrel as you will need to change chokes... you may need to get a rubber stock saddle to raise your head to get it to shoot point of flight on skeet birds... mid rib bead would be a nice option...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An 18.5" isn't really optimal for clay shooting, unless you're genuinely just going to be screwing around and shooting clays in the backyard for the hell of it.  It won't swing particularly well, and the open bore is fairly limiting when it comes to that sort of shooting.  For something to blow through slugs or shot on a range, it would certainly do the trick.

Given Remington's QC of late, I'd be hesitant in general to buy a new product of theirs, and very hesitant to buy one that I couldn't first handle.
View Quote
What would you suggest for a budget pump gun?  590A1?

I will most likely buy something brand new and I tend to buy online so I go to LGS to feel them out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a semiauto?  When I first started sporting clays, I had a pump gun.  It sucked.  A semiauto is so much nicer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I will most likely buy something brand new and I tend to buy online so I go to LGS to feel them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An 18.5" isn't really optimal for clay shooting, unless you're genuinely just going to be screwing around and shooting clays in the backyard for the hell of it.  It won't swing particularly well, and the open bore is fairly limiting when it comes to that sort of shooting.  For something to blow through slugs or shot on a range, it would certainly do the trick.

Given Remington's QC of late, I'd be hesitant in general to buy a new product of theirs, and very hesitant to buy one that I couldn't first handle.

If you want to shoot clays or trap and skeet a 590A1 isn't a great choice. It's a decent choice for HD and 3-gun. Another downside is not all 500 parts are compatible.

Like above I would suggest a semi-auto. If you're on a budget you can pick up a used 1100 for a relatively decent price. And if you ever get the urge for 3-gun there are plenty of aftermarket parts that will support you turning it into a good 3-gun shotgun.

For me I use a Versa Max. I've got two a regular 26" barrel and Versa Max Tactical for three gun. Bought them when I had a bit more income and could afford to have separate guns for separate purposes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I would look into one of the Mossberg sets that sell a 500 with both a short and long barrel.  I think you can they swap in a mag extension if you wish.  However, at least for me, I am so used to wingshooting, the extensions adding weight out to the muzzle always feel weird to me.  But operators gotta operate so I understand the need for more shells.

Unless you are in a rush, you might want to shop for a used 870 instead.  Or even a used 11-87, the older ones are much better built than the newer ones.  Anyway, the chase of buying something was always more fun than actually buying it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I would look at what the LGS's had as far as Older 870's are concerned, as I would not want or get one of the new Express Models.

Then you could get the extra barrels that your looking for, and do whatever mods you want to it.

If your looking for a Mossberg, I would suggest one of the models that has the Magazine Cleanout Tube like the Rem 870's, and

do whatever you want from there also.

Either model of pump shotgun will probably serve you well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top