Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2017 1:35:59 AM EDT
Hey, are there any folding stocks for 870s that don't suck? I have a 12.5in Sbs that I would like to put a folder on. It currently has the short LOP speed feed with pistol grip. I like that stock alot and have it on some other shot guns, but for this one I would like to be able to make it as compact as possible. It does need to be compatible with a side saddle, be some what comfortable to shoot, and be of good quality. I saw where Choate makes a side folder that folds to the right and has an ar type collapsible stock, any experience with that one? I also have looked it to ace's adapter for the 870, any experience with that one? I think I asked this same question a few years ago, maybe there is new stuff on the market now.

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally have thought almost all of the options were terrible from a user-interface perspective.

The top-folder makes for one heck of a compact weapon (and I haven't shot one), but the prices are insane, and I understand that felt/perceived recoil is very high with them.

-shooter
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Choate side folder on one of mine.  Like it very much.  That being said I have never had a folder of any kind that did not have a recoil problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The Remington LE top folding stock (model PFS-87) was the best 870 top folder made, and it wasn't really that good.

Most all the folding and collapsing stocks will interfere with a side saddle. If you decide you can do without one, I'd recommend Sage's TS880RLW. They also offer the all-steel (and older) TS870R which also has a folding buttpad, but weighs more and has fewer length adjustments. SEALs use their stocks and they've been around for decades.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_1/320020_Folding_stock_.html#i2854688
This looks like a good folder, but it too would block a side saddle. He mostly used Ace parts.

Ace folder http://star15.com/870-receiver-block-with-m4-stock-modular.html ($280 wow!)

I don't have any experience with Choate folders other than the one they make for the MP5K.

http://www.armstechltd.com/products.php?id=shotgun_foldingstock
Here's another model which folds to the right. Its folding mechanism looks like a cross between Choate's and a FAL para. I don't know which is better, but the stock itself is thinner. That's an old model, but I've never seen one in person.

You might consider using an Esstac Shotgun Card to open up more options. If the velcro fits with your chosen stock, then you could slap the shell card on after deployment.

I've also had good experiences with just a rear pistol grip only, although most people don't seem to like those.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The FAB Defense ones don't suck but are not cheap and ARF hates FAB (Mako). I like the UAS870 model over the shock absorber ar style.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Avoid the Remington LEO top folder. When using a cheekweld, the metal presses hard against your cheek. It can be quite painful during recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top