Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 4:28:26 PM EDT
I'm starting to look into shotguns a little bit.  My friends and I have been setting up our own 3-gun style course for fun, nothing serious.  I don't really plan on getting into competitions any time in the near future, just want to have some fun shooting with friends.  I'm just looking for something reliable out of the box, that won't break the bank.  I see deals on Mossberg 930's from time to time.  I'm thinking $600-$800 price range, or even less if there is something worth it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm starting to look into shotguns a little bit.  My friends and I have been setting up our own 3-gun style course for fun, nothing serious.  I don't really plan on getting into competitions any time in the near future, just want to have some fun shooting with friends.  I'm just looking for something reliable out of the box, that won't break the bank.  I see deals on Mossberg 930's from time to time.  I'm thinking $600-$800 price range, or even less if there is something worth it.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
View Quote

stoeger m3000 is hard to beat and can be upgraded or buy the comp. model that has some of the 3 gun upgrades already. It's one I am focused on getting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
For 3 gun? 1301 Tactical, you can find used in that range.

For general shotgun stuff? A300

The Mossberg is junk.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of videos out there where people have issues running the 930 with lighter field type loads. The 1301 can be found used at good prices. Coworker of mine has one and loves it. He uses it for 3-gun competition.

If you want the rockstar of semi-autos in my opinion save your pennies and find a Benelli M4. I bought one and as soon as I shot it, it immediately went into my never sell collection.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are not going to play the game, get an 870 from a used store and shoot the crap out of it.  Buy ammo and get good with the shotgun.  You will learn loading, firing quickly and have a great time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
A Benelli M1 is a great value for a used gun.  If you find one $550-$650 grab it
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Beretta 1301 Tac is the hands down winner of "best for the money".
I would even argue that it is superior to many more expensive SA shotguns in certain respects.
They can be found close to your price range brand new, I was able to dig up a pair for a bit over $1600 shipped from an on-line retailer about six months ago. Our Benelli's are now largely collecting dust.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Mrgunsngear did a good review of the 1301 tactical recently, and seemed to like it. However, he did mention the issue about being able to inadvertently lock the gun up by hitting the button on the side. If that was fixed, I think it'd be on the short list for me. Currently in the same situation in looking for a good semi that I could use for HD and local competition (small stuff, mostly just a bunch of dudes dicking around on the range together with a timer) What else have you guys got?

Beretta 1301 Tactical 12ga Shotgun: Great Gun With A Fatal Flaw? (HD)

Idk how to make a youtube video work I guess.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That 'issue' is not unique to the 1301 and you really have to try to get it to happen.
But for $15 you can get either the partial or full shroud shipped to your door which installs in about a minute. Not really necessary IMO but its a cheap fix if you're worried about it.

http://taudevgroup.com/1301/

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mrgunsngear did a good review of the 1301 tactical recently, and seemed to like it. However, he did mention the issue about being able to inadvertently lock the gun up by hitting the button on the side. If that was fixed, I think it'd be on the short list for me. Currently in the same situation in looking for a good semi that I could use for HD and local competition (small stuff, mostly just a bunch of dudes dicking around on the range together with a timer) What else have you guys got?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never locked up any of the Beretta autos I own and between the four they have tens of thousands of rounds between them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Used Remington 1100.  Reliable, plentiful, inexpensive, huge aftermarket for parts and upgrades.  Aftermarket accessory interchangabily with the 870 on many items.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't mind the Beretta 1301 either. Tuff decisions
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Versa Max
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
How does anyone like the FN SLP Competition?
I'm looking to buy one locally.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Versa Max
View Quote

My recommendation as well. But it's out of the price range that your looking for. I would pick up as used 1100 if that price range is what you really are sticking to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
1201FP great gun. if you can find one usually around $400.00
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my Beretta 1301 Tactical, cycles everything I feed it. Low recoil buckshot, birdshot, whatever. Most semi-auto shotguns have issues with lighter loads, not this gun. Yeah I will say if you accidently hit the button while loading then you won't be able to load anymore until you fix it. Easy fix is to just pull the trigger and the gun cycles perfectly without issue. Then you can go back to reloading again. I think it's more of a training issue than a firearm issue though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top