Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2017 11:20:44 PM EDT
I'm finishing up my 870 project and the LOP is long for a fighting gun

Should I cut my stock and re-fit my recoil pad or look into a youth 12g stock?
I worry if it cut the OEM stock 1" or more, I risk running into the swivel stud.

Thoughts?

Also, my riot forearm showed up from Numrich today, it's awesome
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd save $$$ and cut the stock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how much the youth stock costs. Ive chopped stocks and tried to fit recoil pads and they never end up looking too nice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to hold off for now
I've got a 1" recoil pad arriving tomorrow or Friday and I'll try it again at the range with the longer LOP
We'll see
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
"I worry if it cut the OEM stock 1" or more, I risk running into the swivel stud. "

So, measure how much room you have to play with before you affect the stud. I guess I don't understand the issue.

FWIW- I prefer a shorter LOP. However, be careful about cutting too much. You can quickly go from something compact to a poke in the eye, in the width of a saw blade. A little goes a long way with LOP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
if you are patient and cruise sites like ebay, you might be able to find a youth or entry speefeed stock set pretty cheap.

comes down to this, you can spend a lot of time and the cost of a new buttpad and make a chopped down stock look nice.

You can chop it in a hurry and don't care what it looks like.

Or buy new.

What is the cost of your time in the first option vs. option three?  Is option two viable or you care how stuff looks?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top