Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2016 7:22:15 PM EDT
Looks a lot like a Chinese made Saiga with a mag well and 5 round mags . The gun comes with 2 -5 round magazines and has a rail mounted on the top cover which is hinged in the front . It is supposed to use Remington choke tubes . It also has a chrome lined barrel

The internals look a lot like a typical AK . It is a double hook trigger group . It will take a standard AK pistol grip . The fore end halves look like normal AK stuff . The stock looks like the stock off a milled gun.  The safety has a bolt hold open built in.  There is more below
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
We had 2 and both sold before I could grab pictures
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Only test I've found so far.

https://youtu.be/DHMZ5rTsWio
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks , I am hoping we get more in . Both sold in a day
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Do these have a std rear trunion for the normal fixed AK stocks or something unique?

The Academy near me - can't seem to keep one in stock long enough for me to get eyes on it.

It seems for the money a no brainer bargain - its a low cost VEPR-12 clone - What mags does it take??

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do these have a std rear trunion for the normal fixed AK stocks or something unique?

The Academy near me - can't seem to keep one in stock long enough for me to get eyes on it.

It seems for the money a no brainer bargain - its a low cost VEPR-12 clone - What mags does it take??

View Quote

It's not auto adjusting gas regulation like a Vepr though. It's got an adjustable plug like a Saiga.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one ordered from the warehouse . I am not sure what it has yet . They sold out of them in a day by me
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is not a standard rear trunnion. It looks like milled AK stocks may work
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks really nice.  Whats the asking price for one?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks really nice.  Whats the asking price for one?
View Quote

$499.99 at Academy . Academy is the importer of the guns as well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats a decent price for one.  I paid $500 for my s12 back in the day. And i still had to do the conversion on it.  How many mags does it come with and what kind of mags does it use?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thats a decent price for one.  I paid $500 for my s12 back in the day. And i still had to do the conversion on it.  How many mags does it come with and what kind of mags does it use?
View Quote

It comes with 2 five round magazines . Saiga magazines fit the magwell but do not seem to lock well in the front of the mag . I have not shot it with a Saiga mag yet . I will in the next few days .
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Been thinking about picking one up but been out of stock whenever I've been to Academy. I've seen a youtube video of someone using 10rd saiga promag with out issue. Am curious about the rear trunion though would like to change out furniture if possible. Guessing due to the magwell drums wont fit? If my academy has any in stock friday or saturday when I get over there I'm going to grab one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been thinking about picking one up but been out of stock whenever I've been to Academy. I've seen a youtube video of someone using 10rd saiga promag with out issue. Am curious about the rear trunion though would like to change out furniture if possible. Guessing due to the magwell drums wont fit? If my academy has any in stock friday or saturday when I get over there I'm going to grab one.
View Quote

I will try a drum later and let you know .  The Academy by me can not keep them in stock. A local small high priced gunstore comes in and he buys stuff from Academy . He has the JTS for $900
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
We took it apart and played with it a lot today . It uses a gas system that uses a single large port and a sleeve valve to control gas . It will not run any of the cheap loads that we had on hand . Nothing runs well on position 1 . We found the bolt carrier and trunnion had a spot where they were crashing and creating a burr , we cleaned this up .. It helped the gun run .  We also made a new gas piston to try to give it more gas . It did not help .  It does not feed as well with Saiga mags but the aftermarket ones did lock in
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I got to fondle one today.  For the price, it looked like it was worth it.  For what I've seen there is a break in period.  Might have to get one next pay day.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We took it apart and played with it a lot today . It uses a gas system that uses a single large port and a sleeve valve to control gas . It will not run any of the cheap loads that we had on hand . Nothing runs well on position 1 . We found the bolt carrier and trunnion had a spot where they were crashing and creating a burr , we cleaned this up .. It helped the gun run .  We also made a new gas piston to try to give it more gas . It did not help .  It does not feed as well with Saiga mags but the aftermarket ones did lock in
View Quote

I wonder if the sleeve piston is similar dimensions to the Saiga-12 - Enhanced pistons for improving reliability are around for the S12 - Tapco version were being clearanced at Midway for like $5 a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wonder if the sleeve piston is similar dimensions to the Saiga-12 - Enhanced pistons for improving reliability are around for the S12 - Tapco version were being clearanced at Midway for like $5 a few weeks ago.
View Quote

It is not and it is cupped on the end that goes over the end of the gas piston on the bolt carrier. It is also larger diameter  and much thicker. I have a couple of pistons for a Saiga running around and these are not even close . We turned one down on the lathe and tried it out It did not seem to make much difference . A slightly different design might help. We at least have a baseline .  Cleaning up the burr on the trunnion helped as did a little polishing
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Did u try to reproflie the hamme to make the bolt run a little smoother?  Not sure if that is a problem on the JTS but i know that was one of the issues with the s12.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did u try to reproflie the hamme to make the bolt run a little smoother?  Not sure if that is a problem on the JTS but i know that was one of the issues with the s12.
View Quote

These have a much taller reciever rail to accomodate the size of the bolt carrier unlike the Saiga. I think they just need break in like most semi autos. I would grease the rails and the camming surface on the bolt carrier then run some moderate loads through it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

These have a much taller reciever rail to accomodate the size of the bolt carrier unlike the Saiga. I think they just need break in like most semi autos. I would grease the rails and the camming surface on the bolt carrier then run some moderate loads through it.
View Quote

As it sits now it is better with full house loads . I ran the assortment of odd rounds through it . The clean up of the trunnion listed above solved all of the going into battery problems . I think it will take some break in . I would like to see it feed better from Saiga mags .
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#21]
They are now advertising that it takes Saiga mags and uses Remington chokes
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked up one of these shotguns last week and it is a beast! After reading all the stories about Saiga's, Vepr's, and clones there of; I was reluctant to get one, but this thing fired almost every round without issue on setting "3", the only issues I had were with the cheap Winchester Universal 7.5 shot FTE. I posted an imgur album with some pics of the gun.
http://imgur.com/a/4WHw2

I have not tried reducing the gas setting yet, probably try that next time. I will also upload a copy of the user manual once I get the chance. For $540 out the door, color me impressed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I picked up one of these shotguns last week and it is a beast! After reading all the stories about Saiga's, Vepr's, and clones there of; I was reluctant to get one, but this thing fired almost every round without issue on setting "3", the only issues I had were with the cheap Winchester Universal 7.5 shot FTE. I posted an imgur album with some pics of the gun.
http://imgur.com/a/4WHw2

I have not tried reducing the gas setting yet, probably try that next time. I will also upload a copy of the user manual once I get the chance. For $540 out the door, color me impressed.
View Quote

Thanks for your review.

My Saiga runs great on anything except the cheap walmart winchester's  which run most of the time - but not as good as Federal which is the same price at my Walmart for a box of 100.   If I can find one I might get one of these.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I also haven't tried Saiga mags for it yet, wish I could find them cheaper.  I am almost certain that drums will not work on this shotgun, magwell looks like it is more deep than on a Saiga 12. But since I have never handled a Saiga 12, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I also haven't tried Saiga mags for it yet, wish I could find them cheaper.  I am almost certain that drums will not work on this shotgun, magwell looks like it is more deep than on a Saiga 12. But since I have never handled a Saiga 12, I have no idea.
View Quote

I will try a drum later . But the Saiga has no mag well and this one has a pretty substantial magwell . I don't have high hopes for them working
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, got another opportunity to shoot some more, and I tested out the 10 round ProMag (SAI02) and the mag works ok in this gun. The mag fits loosely in the magwell, lot of travel both side to side; and forward and backward. In my testing; I was not able to knock the mag out of the gun, or prevent it from feeding shells into the action. I did have some issues with the magazine feeding some of my high brass shells. There are two raised surfaces inside the mag, about 1" from the top. Those surfaces rub against the sides of the brass on the shells and would cause it to hold the shell too low for the bolt to catch. Seems like a common issue with these particular magazines. The "low brass" shells (Winchester Universal 7.5) I was shooting with did not catch on these surfaces.  May have to sand those down a bit, probably resolve the issue.

Now, as far as the gas setting; I still cannot go any lower than position 3 with the Winchester Universal, the bolt will not cycle fully. And position 3 will cause the bolt to cycle too fast before the shell has a chance to eject fully on occasion, leading o a stovepipe. I still need to see if the cheap Federal and the other rounds I have will work on position 2 or not.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally my Academy has some in stock - seems like the speed at which they get taken away is slowed down.  I almost bought it on the spot, but dang I just had to buy my daughter a wedding dress earlier today so unless she's going to wear a shotgun I have to pause and will wait til my finances catch up.  Looks very nice. (shotgun not the dress)

I have a Saiga 12 and wanted a Vepr and this looks close - just needs a folding stock and it would be all set.  I hope AGP and the steel Saiga mags will work in it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I can confirm that the AGP 10 round mags work fine with it, a little travel side to side and forwards & backwards; but it feeds ammo fine. Also, tested some other ammo. S&B 00 buck, works fine in this gun on setting 3, have not tried it on any lower setting yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can confirm that the AGP 10 round mags work fine with it, a little travel side to side and forwards & backwards; but it feeds ammo fine. Also, tested some other ammo. S&B 00 buck, works fine in this gun on setting 3, have not tried it on any lower setting yet.
View Quote

Thanks for the confirmation - It helps persuade me knowing I don't need a different type of mag
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's not auto adjusting gas regulation like a Vepr though. It's got an adjustable plug like a Saiga.
View Quote

Good. That "self regulating" gas system on the V12 is no more than marketing hype. I wish they would start coming with a manually adjustable gas block. It would make my job much easier.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine still struggles with anything not high brass
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#32]
With most semi auto 12 Ga shotguns, it is recommended to run them with at least 3 Dram EQ ammo. I have also had issues with the Estate brand 8 shot, which is 2 3/4 Dram Eq. But Federal runs like a champ in mine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
read a thread on akfiles that says Saiga mags won't work.  Maybe there was a change?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Better or worse than a Catamount Fury?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I got one today from Academy.  They were on sale for $450, which is $50 off.
The sale ends tonight and they only had 1 left new in box.  

Mine was final QC inspected on 1-18-17, so 2 days before Trump was sworn in.  How did JT Sports and Academy get around the Clinton import ban of Chinese firearms?

I'm going to try the Remington breacher choke.  Has anyone else?

EDIT:  Just got the Remington tactical choke and the Remington Hog XF chokes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Can anyone confirm if any aftermarket stocks or handguards will work, or if I could put one of those sweet ALG flat triggers in one? I've been out of the Ak scene since 2012
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Pretty sure all aftermarket AK triggers will work, stocks not so sure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Can anyone confirm if any aftermarket stocks or handguards will work, or if I could put one of those sweet ALG flat triggers in one? I've been out of the Ak scene since 2012
View Quote
It looks like it would used milled furniture. I have not tried any out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I got one today from Academy.  They were on sale for $450, which is $50 off.
The sale ends tonight and they only had 1 left new in box.  

Mine was final QC inspected on 1-18-17, so 2 days before Trump was sworn in.  How did JT Sports and Academy get around the Clinton import ban of Chinese firearms?

I'm going to try the Remington breacher choke.  Has anyone else?

EDIT:  Just got the Remington tactical choke and the Remington Hog XF chokes.
View Quote
The sporting purposes thing is how they came in.  Same way Remington brings in Chinese pump shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#41]
As far as the stock goes, I took some pictures of it last week. http://imgur.com/a/JtlE2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top